PDA

View Full Version : Living and riding around Albuquerque, NM

DRZRM
09-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Some serious discussion about a relocation to Albuquerque for work. Schools (for kids) will be the most important factor in terms of neighborhoods, but given that, where are the best neighborhoods to look for housing, both for riding and standard of living. Work would be at UNM, in case there is any chance of commuting.

dancinkozmo
09-06-2014, 09:00 PM
the meth there is the BOMB...the blue stuff especially

DRZRM
09-07-2014, 07:33 PM
Really? Nothing? You guys know about everyplace.

Thanks for the heads up dancinkozmo.

Ralph
09-07-2014, 07:42 PM
I've flown in and out of there a couple times. Can't answer your questions about best place to live. But there is a nice bike path in town, and my experience is there is usually lots of riding and good places to live around that. Paths can get you out of town for good riding. As I recall, and not sure this is the whole facts, the nicest areas I remember for living were on I 25 going N toward Santa Fe. I could live there easily RE the climate.http://www.visitalbuquerque.org/albuquerque/outdoors/bike/?gclid=CJrv7Jay0MACFQQQ7AodA3UA2Qhttp://www.visitalbuquerque.org/albuquerque/outdoors/bike/?gclid=CN2k2NGx0MACFaTm7Aodo1cA2Q

Tony T
09-07-2014, 07:47 PM
If you don't get replies here, take a look at www.ridewithgps.com

Gummee
09-07-2014, 07:53 PM
I know there's lots of dual sport (moto) riding in/near ABQ.

I know there's a good hash.

IDK about the riding.

North of there is supposed to be epic mtn biking: Taos, etc

HTH

M

binouye
09-07-2014, 08:20 PM
There is a decent bike path system for commuting to the university, mostly from the north direction I think. There are some OK singletrack rides right next to town (Sandia) and much more if you go a bit north. But take this with a grain of salt -- I'm from CO and have friends who commute by bike to UNM. I'm speaking from limited experience visiting them, and from visits to northern NM. Hopefully you can get a local to chime in.

Idris Icabod
09-07-2014, 09:11 PM
I did the Santa Fe Century a few years ago, not a long drive from ABQ and judging by the roads there must be a great place to ride.

Also I believe the blue meth is no longer available, so if that is your line of work should be quite a large demand by now...

Shortsocks
09-07-2014, 09:17 PM
I do the Santa Fe Century every year. Its a pretty decent century.

All I know is the Santa Fe area, I go there 3-4 times a year. Honestly, Just jump on the direct line train up there one weekend or just for the day and do some GREAT mountain riding. Its a very inexpensive ride up there, drops you off right at the Train Station, (if you get there early enough on saturday or sunday, stop at the farmers market and head up some AMAZING Vegan Hatch Tamales.).

I do know there are some rides to and from AQB up north. As Alberque I bet there are lots of rides around there, best way to start is group rides if you are local there. As weird as it sounds if I know Ill be somewhere I always hit up a Local group and see if its cool that I join, and then I ride with them for at least the weekend. Ive made a lot of friends over the years that way.

pbarry
09-07-2014, 09:24 PM
A co-worker is from there. I'll get the lowdown tomorrow.

fellowpicker
09-07-2014, 09:54 PM
There is great riding in the Abq area, both road and mtn bike. I ride pretty much year round though we do have some cold weather during the winter.

Try this link for some ride descriptions: (Not sure if anyone is maintaining this site or not but lots of good info)

http://nmcycling.org/?action=RidesIndex#road

I have lived here almost 30 years and there is a pretty robust cycling community. Lots of clubs and lots of group rides if that is your thing.

The city has an extensive bike trail system that can get you just about anywhere once you know it. I took some classes at UNM and used to commute there by bike without trouble.

I recommend the northeast heights as an area to live in. I raised two sons here, youngest is a senior at UNM this year. They both went through the public school system. You hear good and bad about the public schools but both my kids turned just fine. They attended Hubert Humphrey grade school, Eisenhower Middle Schools and La Cueva high school. These schools all have good reputations.

There are some areas of town that are sketchy but that is true of anywhere.

Feel free to PM me if you want more specific info on anything.

wtex
09-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Riding here is great, mucho trail systems, with a giant ring trail in the works. There are some serious male and female road and trail riders here.
Ridgecrest, Nob Hill, Twin Parks, and most neighborhoods around UNM are nice. The International district is not, avoid. NE Heights is definitely nice. West side is ok, that would be a car commute. I'd also look at the East Mtns area, you would have to commute or ride share, but great area, much cooler over there, and you could get acreage if that is desirable.
Most of the places you would want to go to are easier to get to by bike than by car, e.g., UNM, Marble Brewery, Muertos y Marigolds.
Prepare to gain weight with the beer scene, breakfast burritos, tapas....
Be glad to answer any ABQ questions.

KidWok
09-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Used to live there...now in Seattle. Great riding, especially if you get out of town. My parents lived in NE heights and I went to La Cueva for a year. Nicer part of town.

Great road riding in most directions out of town. I used to go out for 80+ mile rides on my fixed gear along the river. Clocked my fastest descending speed coming back down from the Sandias. Loved riding through the South Valley...be prepared to outsprint loose dogs. Great place...lots of sun, great food, low cost of living (at least when I was there almost 10 years ago...I heard it's higher now).

Tai

TimD
09-08-2014, 01:49 PM
The police department has been in the news quite a bit in the recent past.

Also home of the Unser family, I believe.

That's about all I know. Hope it works out for you.

cetuximab
09-08-2014, 01:51 PM
I lived there for 7 years.

Great bike commuting. I biked to UNM year round.

I lived on the west side. North of I-40. The houses are cheaper there than in the northeast. Our house was half what a NE house would run. Do not live in the south valley. They are really cheap there for a reason. Every patient I worked with that I silently hoped did not live close to my family was from the valley.

Look up a map of the bike trails. Use that for reference when house shopping.

The north diversion canal trail terminates at UNM. It starts at the balloon fiesta park. There are a lot of places in town where your commute could be all bike trails. Mine was 2/3 bike trail. Most of the remainder was on a bike corridor. They lowered the speed limit to 18 to make it more bike friendly.

There are a ton of bike paths and bike lanes.

The mountain biking is great. One small notch below moab and Fruita co.

I still miss the road biking. Tramway is a great climb. Sandia peak is 10.5k. You can bike from town to the top and back home in an afternoon.

Great weather. Cheap cost of living. There are good schools. Some of our friends do the charter schools.

terry b
09-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Some serious discussion about a relocation to Albuquerque for work. Schools (for kids) will be the most important factor in terms of neighborhoods, but given that, where are the best neighborhoods to look for housing, both for riding and standard of living. Work would be at UNM, in case there is any chance of commuting.

The Northeast heights is by far the best place for schools, but living there would not be to my liking - just a bit too much like southwestern crowded sprawl for my tastes. I live in Corrales, north of town on the west side of the Rio.

The riding is excellent here albeit a bit hemmed in by the mountains and the reservations (north, west, south.) The MUT system is excellent, and depending on where you're used to living the winter is mild. I easily have 4-500 mile months from December to February without ever truly being cold. The altitude helps a lot with the summer - you just don't get those murderously hot days like Tucson and Phoenix.

I've been here for 25 years and wouldn't live anywhere else (I have lived in CO, NY, MA, OR and China) because it's just that easy. If I had school-aged children though (I did, and they went to Montessori) I might have qualms. But for cyclists and people interested living in a subtly different culture, it's great. The only thing it doesn't have is an ocean.

p nut
11-20-2014, 06:04 PM
Bumping an old topic. What is the winter riding like? I'm headed there for a quick visit early January, staying off of Alameda, close to the Rio Grande river. I don't think I'll bring my mountain bike, but will bring my roadie. Any good dirt roads there I can explore? I saw the bike map on the city's website and looks like a good network of bike lanes. Will definitely check out the main bike path along the river.

Do you get snow that time of year? I know you're in the southern part, but you're also about 4,400 ft as well.

wtex
11-20-2014, 10:07 PM
Huge amount of dirt and gravel trails all along the paved Bosque trail. Dirt will be full of goatheads (worse than in Texas, if that can be believed), so tubeless would be preferred.
It does get cold here, but I guess relative to Buffalo, not too bad.
The river\Bosque trail is a good bet, you can reach the North Diversion trail and many others from it. If you're at Alameda, you could go north along Rio Grande blvd (or I suppose there's a trail?) to Corrales, or go south, then downtown and find yourself at Marble Brewery. There are worse places to find oneself.
Corrales is weird\cool as it's really within ABQ, but is very rural - they have horse crossings all over the place. Let me know as you get closer to the trip and and we can head out for a ride, unless it's really cold, in which case I'll meet you at Marble.

cetuximab
11-23-2014, 04:09 AM
my wife and went for a road ride
It was warm enough for shorts and a short sleeve shirt.
We saw a ton of other bikers out.