PDA

View Full Version : Miche cassette for Campy 10 speed?

pitonpat
09-06-2014, 06:30 PM
Looking to change my current Campy Record 10s cassette 12-25 for a 12-27, maybe even a 13-29...and get some lower gearing for my local hills. My only concern with the 13-29 is the couple of 3-tooth jumps at the low end which may seem like big jumps. My typical rides average 100' elevation gain per mile. This may not seem extreme but most of my rides are loops from home, so, I'm theoretically gaining that elevation in half the overall distance of each ride...make sense? Where I live there is very little flat riding...it's mostly either climbing or descending. I rarely spend much time in the 12 cog on the few flats & quickly run out of high gear on the downhills anyway.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Miche cassettes for Campy? They seem to be reasonably priced on EBay. Thanks for your opinions!

Ahneida Ride
09-06-2014, 07:10 PM
I ride a 13 - 29

the 3 tooth jumps at the end are necessary.

You need the bigger jumps as the # of teeth increases to feel any
impact. The jumps from 23 - 26 - 29 are just fine.

AJosiahK
09-06-2014, 07:24 PM
They work pretty well in my experience. Got one for my wife which she promptly decided not to use. Still have it if you want.

It's nice to have those smoother jumps which makes miche primato cassettes appealing.

ultraman6970
09-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Miche cassettes work fine.

palincss
09-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Looking to change my current Campy Record 10s cassette 12-25 for a 12-27, maybe even a 13-29...and get some lower gearing for my local hills. My only concern with the 13-29 is the couple of 3-tooth jumps at the low end which may seem like big jumps. My typical rides average 100' elevation gain per mile. This may not seem extreme but most of my rides are loops from home, so, I'm theoretically gaining that elevation in half the overall distance of each ride...make sense? Where I live there is very little flat riding...it's mostly either climbing or descending. I rarely spend much time in the 12 cog on the few flats & quickly run out of high gear on the downhills anyway.

When I need low gears I need bigger jumps down at the low end. Three tooth jumps feel like "right-sized bites" while one or two tooth jumps feel piddly, too small, why even bother by the time it finishes shifting I'm going to need to shift again. If you don't use the 12 it makes perfect sense to trade it for one at the low end. My preferred 13-30 is made from a 12-27, where the 12 is removed and replaced by a 1st position 13 and the 30 is added behind the 27.

carpediemracing
09-06-2014, 09:52 PM
Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Miche cassettes for Campy? They seem to be reasonably priced on EBay. Thanks for your opinions!

When I weighed all my race wheels a short time ago I realized that I'm running BBB and Miche cassettes on more of my wheels than I thought - I think both race wheels are BBB/Miche, one training wheel, and one training wheel has a proper Campy 10s cassette.

The BBB/Miche because I could get 11-21 and 11-23 and they were cheaper. They're only used on race days but I try to race often. Also I'm merciless on my drivetrain in a race - I don't try and save my equipment when I race. Plus when I jump I virtually always shift up (to a smaller cog) on the first downstroke so it's a high load habit.

I used Miche cassettes prior to that on my training wheels. BBB also, but I think that became a race cassette. I don't remember.

Anywho no issues with them. Oh, one. One of my cogs cracked, it caused skipping on that one cog, I think it was a BBB cassette.

A much higher mileage rider broke a 12T BBB cog and told me it wasn't the first cog he'd broken.

wasfast
09-06-2014, 09:59 PM
I had 2 different Miche 10 spd cassettes, both of which developed missing teeth in under 1000 miles. With the price of Veloce cassettes still, there literally not reason to buy Miche.

Birddog
09-06-2014, 10:50 PM
I had 2 different Miche 10 spd cassettes, both of which developed missing teeth in under 1000 miles. With the price of Veloce cassettes still, there literally not reason to buy Miche.

It has been a few years but that was exactly my experience as well. After trying twice, I would not invest again. They are also a little noisy. Campy makes a 12/30 and I believe a 12/27, better investment IMO. I have a 12/30 and like it for the mountains.

pavel
09-07-2014, 12:56 AM

It has been a few years but that was exactly my experience as well. After trying twice, I would not invest again. They are also a little noisy. Campy makes a 12/30 and I believe a 12/27, better investment IMO. I have a 12/30 and like it for the mountains.

I currently have a campy 12-27 on my cx race wheels and a miche 12-27 on my normal cx wheels. As the two posters above have stated, the campy cassette is much better. Quieter, better shifting, more durable; and something that has always bothered me is the fact that the Miche cassette does not use the exact same spacing as campagnolo. There is one larger spacer between the 6 and 7 or the 7 and 8 position in a campagnolo cassette. Miche just does the same spacing all the way through. Call me a princess, but I notice it.

Campagnolo is just better and will last longer. I wont use a miche cassette again, unless I'm buying single cogs for SS use.

fogrider
09-07-2014, 01:16 AM
as others have said, I wouldn't use Miche, but currently am using 2 BBB cassettes. And yes, just go with volece. I just wish campy would have wider range of cassettes with an 11 cog for use with a compact.

oldpotatoe
09-07-2014, 06:07 AM

When in the shop we bought a few and sent them all back. Poor shifting and the 12t wasn't centered..the place that went onto the FH body wasn't centered in the cog, so it went up and down..not impressed. This was a few years ago, maybe they have been improved but..

BTW-Campagnolo 10s now includes a 12-30 and 12-27..Centaur

LJohnny
09-07-2014, 12:14 PM
On the other hand i tried a 12-26 Miche and it shifted very well. Indistinguishable from the chorus cassettes i had on some wheels.

berserk87
09-07-2014, 03:33 PM
I have a good friend that is currently using a Miche cassette with his Campy Record 10 speed setup. I don't think that he has complained on rides about the cassette. Seems to be ticking away the miles just fine.

MerckxMad
09-07-2014, 03:48 PM

+1 I found them merely adequate. Go with Veloce or Wheels Mfg for oddball cassettes.

RonW87
09-07-2014, 04:43 PM
I use miche cassettes and don't have any issues. But when I can buy veloce for only a few bucks more (often at ribble), I do.

Ralph
09-07-2014, 06:29 PM
Assuming you're satisfied with how they work, to me.....the main advantage of a Miche cassette is you can easily and cheaply buy individual cogs to replace ones that wear out.....they fit Veloce loose cog cassette as well.

Birddog
09-07-2014, 07:13 PM
I broke 2 first position 12 tooth cogs. that was it for me.I heard they fixed this problem but still................

Johnny P
09-07-2014, 08:14 PM
I ride a 13 - 29

the 3 tooth jumps at the end are necessary.

You need the bigger jumps as the # of teeth increases to feel any
impact. The jumps from 23 - 26 - 29 are just fine.

I agree. This is a good way to go.

old fat man
09-07-2014, 08:37 PM
I had a 12-27 Miche that I swapped the 27 for a 28 for a big tour. I wish Campy had their 12-30 back then. The Miche shifted like crap and one of the middle cogs broke shortly after I finished the tour. I wouldn't use a Miche cassette again.

pitonpat
10-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Okay, I'm resurrecting this post with a follow-up question. I've decided to stay with a Campagnolo cassette, preferably a 13-29 for the reasons I've stated earlier. I lately realize that my legs have been telling my head to avoid the hardest local climbs, and I've got to stop allowing this bad behavior. Besides, I want to do some of the harder climbs in Vermont (including any/all of the 6 Gaps) which are in my son's backyard.

So, having established that I will stick with Campy, is there any downside to using a Veloce or Chorus cassette with my otherwise all Record components (chain included)? Cost is an issue or else I would just go for the Record cassette.

For the sake of information, this is my first Campagnolo drivetrain and I don't want to do anything that would compromise the stellar performance of the components I currently have.

Thanks all.

RonW87
10-01-2014, 06:47 PM
No, there is no downside.

RonW87
10-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Note that veloce is single cogs and chorus cogs are on a carrier.

carpediemracing
10-02-2014, 07:20 AM
No downside and in fact you might think of it as an upside - I found that the Ti cogs wear a bit faster.

Well there is one downside - slightly higher weight.

FWIW I run Miche, BBB, and all steel Campy cassettes on almost all my rear wheels. I think I have one steel/ti cassette actually installed. I have 3? Record cassettes I pulled off when I installed new chains but I think they'll be good to use now that my chain has 2k miles on it.

oldpotatoe
10-02-2014, 09:03 AM
Okay, I'm resurrecting this post with a follow-up question. I've decided to stay with a Campagnolo cassette, preferably a 13-29 for the reasons I've stated earlier. I lately realize that my legs have been telling my head to avoid the hardest local climbs, and I've got to stop allowing this bad behavior. Besides, I want to do some of the harder climbs in Vermont (including any/all of the 6 Gaps) which are in my son's backyard.

So, having established that I will stick with Campy, is there any downside to using a Veloce or Chorus cassette with my otherwise all Record components (chain included)? Cost is an issue or else I would just go for the Record cassette.

For the sake of information, this is my first Campagnolo drivetrain and I don't want to do anything that would compromise the stellar performance of the components I currently have.

Thanks all.

Least expensive compatible cogset and chain. Veloce/Centaur work the same, last the same, as Chorus cogset.

pitonpat
10-02-2014, 08:44 PM
Many thanks...question answered. It's gratifying to have access to a source of bike people more knowledgeable than me!