PDA

View Full Version : What do you do.....

Bruce K
09-06-2014, 01:24 PM
When your wife offers to buy you your dream vintage frame set / bike and you have come the conclusion you have too many bikes and don't want her to spend the money?

BK

Chris
09-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Say thanks but no.

dave thompson
09-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Take her out for a grand evening. Tell her you love her so much. Remember frequently why you do.

AJosiahK
09-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Take her out for a grand evening. Tell her you love her so much. Remember frequently why you do.

+1 yes

ultraman6970
09-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Easy solution... let her spend the money in a diamond ring or something and then you will become the best husband ever.

Or...

Tell ther to get a 500 bucks for ultra and everybody happy :P

93legendti
09-06-2014, 01:38 PM
I think I would at least consider getting rid of one bike and going ahead with your wife's offer....for many reasons...

bcroslin
09-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Spend the money on a nice little get away somewhere.

zap
09-06-2014, 01:40 PM
When your wife offers to buy you your dream vintage frame set / bike and you have come the conclusion you have too many bikes and don't want her to spend the money?

BK

Mmmm, how much is that prestine vintage Campy groupo.......

Trip to Europe.

:banana:

witcombusa
09-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Go for a ride, perhaps you'll come to your senses...

Wives come and go but good bikes are forever ;)

berserk87
09-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Perhaps thin the herd a bit and sell off some of your existing rigs to offset the addition of another?

It sounds like you are a lucky man.

witcombusa
09-06-2014, 01:52 PM
"too many bikes" :confused:

velotrack
09-06-2014, 01:54 PM

BK

Occasional gifts are a good thing sometimes. What exactly is "too many bikes"? Sounds like you have an awesome wife.

Ken Robb
09-06-2014, 02:02 PM
I think you are probably like me in that it is very difficult to find a really cool gift for us. When a loved one thinks she has finally found one you will love it's probably a bit cruel to deny them the joy of getting it for you. Accept it joyfully and sell one of your other bikes to make room if you have to. If you don't you will probably get more "cute" cycling sox for your birthday. :)

Bruce K
09-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Yes, she is awesome in so many ways

Too many bikes include ones I no longer/rarely ride due to lack of time, lack of venue (TT),or redundancy.

I could easily see myself selling off half the fleet by next summer but so far I have not wanted to part with any yet for mostly sentimental reasons.

I don't want to say yes and hate the bike every time I look at it for what it represents (and I don't mean her generosity)

I kind of feel like this has been more about the chase than the capture. It was fun to look at them on line and dream about it but now that it could be reality I see nothing positive in the ownership of a vintage bike I will (almost) never ride

This will not be easy no matter what

BK

FlashUNC
09-06-2014, 02:11 PM
So what's the bike?

I'd tend towards selling off some of the other stuff and taking her up on her offer. But that's just me.

terry
09-06-2014, 02:37 PM
I think your last post sums it up perfectly. I still have my first made-to-measure frame (I'll never get rid of it) and for sentimental reasons ride it very sparingly each year. Every time I get on one of the newer/modern bikes I'm reminded how much better they are than the bikes of old. For reference, my vintage was built in 1980 of Reynolds 531 and Columbus SP with all Campy SR. Great in its day but nowhere as nice as a nice light modern bike with ERGO. I do 7K miles/yr and of that maybe 300 on the vintage. That's just my opinion. BTW great wife.

1centaur
09-06-2014, 02:47 PM
"I don't want to say yes and hate the bike every time I look at it for what it represents"

Hate is such a strong emotion that it feels there is more going on here than is apparent to those answering the thread so far. Are you saying it would represent dreams that are gone forever? Or are you saying it would represent bikes you were forced to sell that you liked? It's hard to armchair quarterback stuff if it's not quite clear what the situation is.

fuzzalow
09-06-2014, 02:54 PM
No, I think it is an easy decision to make. The nicest and proper plan of action to me would be to turn that gift around, as far as the money spent, and buy her something that you've always held back from buying because it may have struck you as frivolous.

As bike enthusiasts, most have probably had many bikes already. I wouldn't feel like I was missing out if I somehow failed to add one more.

My wife has generously offered to gift me something that I thought I wanted but on deeeper consideration decided against, for the reason I noted above. I declined but kept the mad money budget set aside without discussing it any further. I used that money to buy her a Rolex instead. That watch makes me happier than anything I'd want for myself.

shovelhd
09-06-2014, 02:57 PM
No use buying it if you're not going to ride it.

Bruce K
09-06-2014, 03:00 PM
It would represent money that could have been spent on more useful or enjoyable things for our family

Maybe the need to sell off something to make room

And possibly seeing a bad "investment" that I had come to terms with a couple of years ago. Fun to dream and drool over and talk about but one that I had decided was something I would NEVER purchase

BK

sitzmark
09-06-2014, 03:02 PM
See a psychiatrist. ... must be some kind of "psychosis" that needs immediate attention! :)

saab2000
09-06-2014, 03:08 PM
I prefer that my bike stuff is my own private luxury. I don't like bike gifts from others actually and while it's very generous, this is my own private nightmare! :D

Maybe a jersey or something like that but I'd rather accept a gift of something else than bike stuff, in part because I don't want to feel guilty if I don't like something as much as I thought I might.

1centaur
09-06-2014, 03:09 PM
Well, then it seems you would "hate" making a bad decision to satisfy the good wishes of a loved one. That's an easy one - you are clear eyed about not wanting the bike enough and your wife wants you to be happy, so go another way, be mutually happy, and never look back. I suspect she will appreciate your clarity.

The problem would be if you are not quite sure if you want it, but the H-word says to me that's not the issue.

Bruce K
09-06-2014, 03:35 PM
Fine

Let's go with whatever fits (resent?)

I actually think part of this is exactly what Saab said

As I look back I have never enjoyed getting surprise cycling gifts beyond a jersey or something kind of frivolous

I have generally didliked any pragmatic cycling gift that was a "surprise". If I have been asked what I want or need and that becomes the gift it has been OK. It even included my Ottrott frame at one time.

This was going to be a surprise and I think at some level it feels like my dream of hunting this bike down and buying it (after I had decided not to) has been usurped by someone else and so yes, I resent it and would resent the bike

BK

RedRider
09-06-2014, 03:37 PM

BK

Tell her she is fabulous and her thoughtfulness is what makes your marriage so perfect.
Then it's a good time to let it slip that you ordered a new custom Parlee!

thwart
09-06-2014, 03:52 PM

Wake up and realize it's a dream (or nightmare)… ;)

Sounds like the ideal situation. Pass up a bike you don't really want and at the same time have your wife think better of you for being so practical and selfless.

Win, win, win.

Doug Fattic
09-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Quite a few wives pay for their husbands to take one of my framebuilding classes as a gift. Or send her to make it for you. Or make it for her. Just saying'...

Bruce K
09-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Actually it's been a bit if a horror show but is now moving in a better direction

She was totally BS when I told her I didn't really want it.

Things are slowly morphing since some of the advice from here has been put to use

Since she already committed to buying the frameset I have agreed to accept it (and will go so gratefully) as long as she spends the money planned for the components, wheels, and tires on the new oven that she has been looking at.

She understands the frame may not be built up (ever) and could be flipped if I decide I just don't want it after a while

I always like (most of. :rolleyes:) the advice available here

BK

oldpotatoe
09-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Learn how to fly instead. Not kidding.

soulspinner
09-06-2014, 04:46 PM
i think i would at least consider getting rid of one bike and going ahead with your wife's offer....for many reasons...

+1

soulspinner
09-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Actually it's been a bit if a horror show but is now moving in a better direction

She was totally BS when I told her I didn't really want it.

Things are slowly morphing since some of the advice from here has been put to use

Since she already committed to buying the frameset I have agreed to accept it (and will go so gratefully) as long as she spends the money planned for the components, wheels, and tires on the new oven that she has been looking at.

She understands the frame may not be built up (ever) and could be flipped if I decide I just don't want it after a while

I always like (most of. :rolleyes:) the advice available here

BK

This is a win in every way!!!!

witcombusa
09-06-2014, 05:03 PM
This is a win in every way!!!!

What about the poor frame just hanging in the shop? ;)

Bruce...WHAT frame is it?!

Bruce K
09-06-2014, 05:35 PM
I will post a picture and info when it gets here

There are only a couple of people outside my family who know

It's steel, fairly rare, and would require downtube shifting, tubulars, and less than 9 speeds to be correct

;)

BK

tylerbick
09-06-2014, 07:46 PM
I think you are probably like me in that it is very difficult to find a really cool gift for us. When a loved one thinks she has finally found one you will love it's probably a bit cruel to deny them the joy of getting it for you. Accept it joyfully and sell one of your other bikes to make room if you have to. If you don't you will probably get more "cute" cycling sox for your birthday. :)

Ken's got it...

oldpotatoe
09-07-2014, 06:23 AM
I will post a picture and info when it gets here

There are only a couple of people outside my family who know

It's steel, fairly rare, and would require downtube shifting, tubulars, and less than 9 speeds to be correct

;)

BK

Huzza...I rode my friction shifting, tubular, 7s freewheel, bike yesterday yesterday..uplifting!

Bruce K
09-07-2014, 06:38 AM
Yup, I would / should be happy except late last night my son mentioned that this frame is a 54 with a 55 top tube

I can't ride anything bigger than 53 seat tube and 54 top tube (using a 100 stem) so this could be a real quick flip

:crap::crap::crap:

BK

Aaron O
09-07-2014, 08:44 AM
I have an odd ball suggestion Bruce...

Make it a light weight, relaxed city build with bars that sweep inwards. Take it on leisurely rides with family. I understand your feelings and conflict, but at the end of the day the woman you loved tried to make you happy and bought you a bike. It's amazing they put up with our mishegas...when they embrace it, SCORE!

I'm curious to see what it is since I'm a rare vintage steel aficionado.

sitzmark
09-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Don't know the financials of the situation, but was thinking what your wife has given you is the joy of a project to know a bike of your fantasies from the perspective of rebuilding it. Once built you can sell/trade it, or auction it for a worthy charity.

With the new information regarding fit, seems like an appropriate reason for a return.

firerescuefin
09-07-2014, 10:17 AM

^this

witcombusa
09-07-2014, 10:33 AM
Yup, I would / should be happy except late last night my son mentioned that this frame is a 54 with a 55 top tube

I can't ride anything bigger than 53 seat tube and 54 top tube (using a 100 stem) so this could be a real quick flip

BK

I find this a bit hard to understand. We are talking 1 cm here.
I ride and enjoy bikes from 58 to 63cm ST (2 inches) and 57 to 59cm TT.(less than an inch)

CAN'T?

AngryScientist
09-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Bruce, if it is truly a frame you have lusted after, perhaps accept just the frame. no worry over the size, mount it on your wall to display and grin at knowing you own your dream bike and your lovely wife bought it for you.

http://images.cdn.bigcartel.com/bigcartel/product_images/62683471/max_h-1000+max_w-1000/bikemount3_web.jpg

jr59
09-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Bruce, if it is truly a frame you have lusted after, perhaps accept just the frame. no worry over the size, mount it on your wall to display and grin at knowing you own your dream bike and your lovely wife bought it for you.

http://images.cdn.bigcartel.com/bigcartel/product_images/62683471/max_h-1000+max_w-1000/bikemount3_web.jpg

^^This^^ is a grand idea!

witcombusa
09-07-2014, 10:56 AM

But they are made to be ridden, not wall art. Especially one "you have lusted after".

Seriously, ONE CENTIMETER :confused:

Bruce K
09-07-2014, 11:13 AM
With a herniated disc in my neck and an FAI in my right hip, minor fit changes create significant discomfort issues that can last for days

Haven't given up on it but I need to be very careful

It might be OK for the occasional coffee run

But I don't want an 80 mm stem
On it if I can help it

BK

Ken Robb
09-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Some bars like Nitto Noodles bend back toward the rider so they might help you get comfy.

jtakeda
09-07-2014, 12:42 PM

BK

My size!

Dibs.....maybe.....

Bstone
09-07-2014, 01:25 PM
I don't understand the question.:banana:

Bruce K
09-07-2014, 01:45 PM
That's OK

We're past the original question and calm is pretty well restored in the household

Measuring current bikes and frames to see if I can make this work or not

BK

cnighbor1
09-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Spend the money on a nice little get away somewhere. riding to it on both your classic bicycles
Charles

09-07-2014, 07:09 PM
I've followed this thread and was going to comment so many times.

I guess I should only talk when I know what I'm talking about.

And I haven't the faintest idea what too many bikes is.

Bruce K
09-07-2014, 07:54 PM
For me too many bikes is when I look at my riding log and realize that I haven't ridden a bike at all in 8+ months and I can't figure out when I would in the foreseeable future.

On the project bike front, it looks like there may be some additional sunlight on the horizon. In looking at the build sheet for my Bedford it appears that the "project bike" is 1.5cm taller in the seat tube (not a huge issue - I'll look for curbs to lean on if I have to), and 1.2 cm shorter in the TT with a 100mm stem. I did not want to go shorter than 90 with a quill and now I don't think I will need to. I will try to locate one with a little up-angle to ease the reach a bit.

Since we have confirmation the frame has been shipped I can say that as long as it is what it claims to be, and is in the condition advertised, I will be the proud owner of a 1989 Serotta Davis Phinney.:banana:

I have a line on a 7 speed Dura Ace group and need to decide about wheels (tubular or clincher). I also need to decide if I am going to go period correct for a saddle or get something that I like and have it re-covered (jmoore are you listening? ;)). It will get HB bar wrap for sure but I need to see the colors first.

I have not seen a picture so I don't know the colors yet (there is a trustworthy "middle man") but will post pictures when I have it.

BK

Keith A
09-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Congrats Bruce on the wonderful family who want to make you happy and for the incoming DP.