PDA

View Full Version : Colnago C40 experts - does this look dodgy?

bikeridah
09-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Both rear dropouts showing some type of crude joint work. Maybe dropouts were replaced by a caveman?

rwsaunders
09-06-2014, 11:56 AM
A little lovin' with a rasp and putty and you're ready to rock.

Dead Man
09-06-2014, 11:56 AM
I tried to JB Weld a bike frame once, many years ago. This turned out way better than mine

happycampyer
09-06-2014, 12:07 PM
We used to freeze Charleston Chews when I was a kid. Who knew that a dropout would work in a pinch?

pinkshogun
09-06-2014, 12:12 PM
did you notice this after you bought it?

bikeridah
09-06-2014, 12:31 PM
did you notice this after you bought it?

Unfortunately yes, I intend to return it though as I won't feel comfortable riding as is.

Admiral Ackbar
09-06-2014, 12:42 PM
looks like a bit of corrosion under the paint. I've got a lugged carbon/alloy trek that looks similar in places. if you poke at it with you fingernail or a small allen key does it feel soft?

Vientomas
09-06-2014, 01:21 PM
A Google search revealed this:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=119935&start=15

First of all, congrats on that beast of a frame.
Regarding the corrosion issues, i have owned 3 c40's and have experienced the corrosion first hand.
Only the early models c40 corroded on the rear drop outs, aaand the cable stops.
I really don't think it has anything to do with bonding, but everything to do with surface treatment on the alloy itself.
It seems like the later c40 drop outs was covered in thick paint, while the older ones was somehow anodized??
Only thing to do, is to scrape of all the corrosion, and see how much alloy is left. If it looks safe to ride after all the loose corrosion is gone, just paint it with some strong paint, and a lot of clear coat. And it will be good for a long time.

ultraman6970
09-06-2014, 01:41 PM
No kidding op... what you can do is just sand it to check outt condition of the material, get a carbon repair kit and wrap that thing big time with a couple of layers of carbon, if you know somebody that can do it for you even better and beat the crap out of the bike.

As for accidents doubt it will explode but as much if something happens the bike will feel springy and mushy the day one of those drop outs fails.

How is the rest of the frame?? ok?

texbike
09-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Just return it. There are plenty of others out there to choose from....

Texbike

bikeridah
09-06-2014, 02:18 PM
looks like a bit of corrosion under the paint. I've got a lugged carbon/alloy trek that looks similar in places. if you poke at it with you fingernail or a small allen key does it feel soft?

Not soft at all.

No kidding op... what you can do is just sand it to check outt condition of the material, get a carbon repair kit and wrap that thing big time with a couple of layers of carbon, if you know somebody that can do it for you even better and beat the crap out of the bike.

As for accidents doubt it will explode but as much if something happens the bike will feel springy and mushy the day one of those drop outs fails.

How is the rest of the frame?? ok?

Rest of the frame is in great condition, my primay concern is a dropout separating from the rear or chain stay at speed.

rePhil
09-06-2014, 02:31 PM
is that a crack on the non drive seat stay?

RedRider
09-06-2014, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't ride that C-40 on a dare! Filing it down would only make a shoddy repair look better but who knows what was done and why?
This is a C-40 dropout in good condition...

ultraman6970
09-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Probably the op can send the bike to somebody to get both drop outs fixed? I mean... replace by news ones?

The big issue is if always money and costs, if the op got the bike cheap enough might worth to send it to get repaired, if not well maybe home made repair and use it till it dies or maybe bite the bullet and let it go for cheap??

Remember reading on this thread long time ago...

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bikes-frames-forks/colnago-carbon-weakness-warning-245227.html

ps: Looks like is fairly fixable, the drop outs need to be replaced. Doubt the carbon has a problem, is the darn corrosion that starts eating the steel or whatever they put in there, if you get somebody to replace them hope you can get them made of TI.

cbresciani
09-06-2014, 05:20 PM
I would return it, unless you got a killer deal on it and then fixing it might not be a bad way to go. But if you paid more than $1500 for it I would definitely return it.

ultraman6970
09-06-2014, 05:45 PM
With a little bit of luck....

http://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-frame-tubing/NOVA-DROPOUT-KIT-FOR-CARBON.html

Before i forget, paragon machineworks have a cnc shop and recieve custom works, with some luck they can make you a new set of drop outs in titanium. You can glue that right one the carbon tubing. I called them time ago about a piece and pretty much they can cut whatever you want.

Good luck.

pdmtong
09-06-2014, 07:19 PM
is this a trick question? life is way too short to deal with BS like that at any price

thwart
09-06-2014, 08:38 PM
I would return it, unless you got a killer deal on it and then fixing it might not be a bad way to go. But if you paid more than $500 for it I would definitely return it.
Fixed it for ya.

cbresciani
09-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Fixed it for ya.

Ha! That's probably more correct :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedRider
09-07-2014, 09:56 AM
is this a trick question? life is way too short to deal with BS like that at any price

^^^Very true... This frame should be returned to the seller for a full refund especially if the damage was not disclosed. End of story.
There is no way that that frame could be repaired, made safe, in alignment and actually have the Colnago C-40 ride you expected.

Admiral Ackbar
09-07-2014, 11:34 AM
I'm still thinking it just looks the built up corrosion under the paint. if the OP doesn't have tooo much money invested in it i would try and scrape the paint away and see what it looks like underneath. I'm not convinced the frame is a lost cause.

RedRider
09-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Probably just a little corrosion under the paint...
*Sorry if I offended anyone but I take my Colnago very seriously and this frame should be be given a proper funeral draped in the trecolore.

slidey
09-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Q: Does this look dodgy?
A: Yes, without a doubt.

Resolution: Only you can decide that. Good luck!

bikeridah
09-07-2014, 07:47 PM
I appreciate all the comments gents. Tough to walk away from this one since it's an Oscar Freire World Champion edition in my size. I'm taking it to my LBS who is a Colnago dealer next weekend. Fingers crossed.

Can anyone recommend frame repair shops besides Calfee?
~BR

happycampyer
09-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Probably just a little corrosion under the paint...
*Sorry if I offended anyone but I take my Colnago very seriously and this frame should be be given a proper funeral draped in the trecolore.

Aw, c'mon, that's just a little corrosion under the paint. A little body putty and a fresh coat of paint and it'll look like new.