PDA

View Full Version : Singlespeed Mountain Bikes

jckid
03-07-2006, 12:48 PM
I've noticed that singlespeed mountain bikes have become popular in the last few years. I sold my mountain bike several years ago, so I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to mountain biking. Are singlespeed mountain bikes for serious singletrack riders, or just for cruising around town? I noticed that Independent Fabrication has a team of women riders on singlespeeds. It seems that they've won some races too. I like the simplicity and clean looks of a singlespeed, but I'm wondering how useful a singlespeed mountain bike would be. What are common gearing combinations on these bikes? I'm assuming that you wouldn't want to lose climbing capability.

coylifut
03-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Single speeds rock. Yes. you can ride just about anywhere on a ss that you can ride geared. One of my mtb riding buddies rides ss and he can climb just about anything I can. However, at the end of the day he slows down a bit. However, he never worries about cassettes, shifters and such. One word of advice. Pay way up and buy a White Industries bmx free wheel. The Shimano ones fail quickly after getting wet.

Have fun.

davids
03-07-2006, 01:42 PM
There was an article in Dirt Rag a few years back by a guy who rides a fixie mountain bike. Yow.

Ray
03-07-2006, 02:02 PM
A lot of mountain bike races have single speed divisions now. I was at a race a few months ago and the single speeders weren't competing with the geared riders, but they were riding some damn tough terrain in very respectable times and had quite a race going amongst themselves. To me, mountain biking is hard enough with gears, but those guys seem to deal pretty well.

-Ray

zank
03-07-2006, 04:51 PM
The single speed category at New England Root 66 races typically turn lap times around the same speed as the Experts. After riding a pal's SS last year, I'm going to build one up this year. It was way too much fun. I'm going fully rigid with disks. I can't wait!

In terms of suitability and gearing, it all depends on your terrain and fitness level. I'm going to start with a 32x19. The fast dudes are usually running 32x16. One of the cool things about single speed riding is it forces you to keep your momentum up all the time. I watch the SS riders and they just seem so smooth in the singletrack. It translates over to your geared bike to make you faster (if you ever ride your geared bike again).

Coy hit the nail on the head. Invest in White Industries freewheels. They seem to be bombproof. And the White Eno crank seems to be the one of choice. Phil Wood hubs and BBs are the hands down favorite.

Have fun!!!

Ginger
03-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Yeah, the Single Speed movement has been gaining ground here in Michigan too. There are several fairly good sites out there. I haven't joined in yet. I've been stuck in one gear coming off a trail and I can say that I *like* my gears.

One way to tell if you're a possible convert? On your current mtb, pick a similar gear combo to what you think you'd ride on a SS and go ride your favorite trail without shifting gears at all (same experience without the expense and chain line issues of conversion). Who knows...you might like it!

SManning
03-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Hi Ginger-

I'd be really wary of your coach's singlespeed workouts. Try big ring in the front, 3rd cog in the rear at Murray Lake, in Brighton. Can we say ouch?

Those workouts sure made me strong and fast. I really learned how to carry momentum through a trail because the penalty for braking was quite miserable. I loved it (the pain and the fun) so much I'm dying to have a singlespeed, in the color pink.

Sarah