PDA

View Full Version : Can one thread a threadless fork?

SlackMan
09-05-2014, 05:55 PM
Suppose one buys a bike with a 1" threadless fork. Is it possible to thread the fork and then use a quill stem? If so, is it easy to mess up on the threading, or should a competent bike or machine shop be able to handle it?

Kirk Pacenti
09-05-2014, 06:11 PM
Suppose one buys a bike with a 1" threadless fork. Is it possible to thread the fork and then use a quill stem? If so, is it easy to mess up on the threading, or should a competent bike or machine shop be able to handle it?

Yes*, it's pretty easy to do. You should be able to take it to an established shop and have it done with the appropriate Campy or Park tools.

* Assuming the tube is a standard gauge (1.6mm wall) and has the correct ID for the quill.

nicrump
09-05-2014, 06:19 PM
what? cut new threads in a bike shop with a die? with all due respect and no offense intended but not a chance. its a lathe job and even then you'll need several inches to sacrifice(holding) or a collet to perfectly fit the ID of the steerer.

the LSB with a campy tool cant do the multi pass needed for clean threads let alone start the cutting straight.

just my opinion. ymmv as well as the quality of your threads.

Yes*, it's pretty easy to do. You should be able to take it to an established shop and have it done with the appropriate Campy or Park tools.

* Assuming the tube is a standard gauge (1.6mm wall) and has the correct ID for the quill.

lovebird
09-05-2014, 06:20 PM
Yes, it's possible. I've done it using a Park tool. Getting the threading started is (obviously) the toughest part. Plenty of cutting fluid, go slow, and you should be ok.

I found it IMPOSSIBLE to find a bike shop who would do it, although admittedly I only asked around at 4 or 5 places.

pbarry
09-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Marc Nobilette just cut new threads on a 1" replacement fork for a friend's grocery getter. Nice job. He used a lathe.

If you only need an additional centimeter or two of new threads cut on a threaded fork, a sharp hand die tool and a skilled mechanic can do it easily enough. Starting out threadess, or needing more threads than 1-2 centimeters, the lathe does it best. :)

vqdriver
09-05-2014, 06:29 PM
i've had it done at an lbs. the shop i go to has three locations and they had an old timer mechanic bring the tools from their main location to my local shop to do the work. i (and the shop for that matter) didn't want the kids in the pit doing this. haha. they actually had to look for the tool kit to do this. they gave me a call when they were ready and i came in on a weekend.

honestly it didn't seem like that big a deal at the time, at least they didn't act like it. the mech spent a whole lot of time getting the alignment right before cutting, that first cut is absolutely critical. i got bored and left to get a shawarma and he was still going when i got back. turned out perfect without any complications. didn't cost too much either. at least not enough that it was memorable.

thirdgenbird
09-05-2014, 06:30 PM
I've had it done as well. It took the mechanic a while, but everything installed and turned smooth when it was done.

Kirk Pacenti
09-05-2014, 06:43 PM
what? cut new threads in a bike shop with a die? with all due respect and no offense intended but not a chance. its a lathe job and even then you'll need several inches to sacrifice(holding) or a collet to perfectly fit the ID of the steerer.

the LSB with a campy tool cant do the multi pass needed for clean threads let alone start the cutting straight.

None taken.

But it's not that hard, really. It was a bit scary the first time I did it on a Kestrel fork (1994?). I've done it a handful of times since then. Granted, it's not how I'd do it building from scratch and not the same as rolled or turned threads, but never had a problem with the results...

Cheers,
KP

SBash
09-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Yes you can! With the proper park tools and patience. When I had my shop I did this a few times...I usually waited until I closed the shop, so I could concentrate without anyone bugging me.
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/threading-fork-steering-columns-fts-1-use

Scroll down to unthreaded steer collumns

Anarchist
09-05-2014, 07:14 PM
I've done it in the basement. Granted I used a die set that I borrowed from a tool maker friend, but patience, headphones in to shut out the world and some cold beverages at hand and it is eventually done.

ultraman6970
09-05-2014, 07:32 PM
As kirk says... yes its possible, the problem is that many people havent seen it done ever, thats who the stuff was done way before threadless showed up in the market.

SlackMan
09-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like it could be done, but I would need someone experienced to do it. Any idea what it should cost?

oldpotatoe
09-06-2014, 07:21 AM

Yes but if no threads exist, having them be parallel to the fork crown is a challenge. I have a guy with a lathe who ensured the threaded were parallel to the FCR, otherwise cannot adjust headset.

oldpotatoe
09-06-2014, 07:22 AM

I agree.

Besides, the Campagnolo tool is for chasing/cleaning the threads..not really for cutting new ones..

Mark McM
09-06-2014, 08:11 AM

And this part is key. Many carbon forks with steel steerers use thinner walled tubing for the steerer, which would not be practical to thread. For example, I have 2 Alpha Q forks whose steerer's wall thicknesses are only about 1 mm.

As another data point about threading threadless steerers: I have a Bontrager Race Lite, which used a Rockshox fork with special reduced offset crown. When the shop initially assembled the bike, they accidentally cut the steerer too short. Since it was a 1" steel steerer with 'traditional' wall thicknesses, they saved the fork by threading the steerer. It worked just fine, and I still have the bike many years later.