PDA

View Full Version : campy mirage

AngryScientist
09-04-2014, 09:52 PM
more details to come on this, but i just scored a sweet bike on ebay. its quite a gorgeous frame, built with older, 9-sp Mirage components. they seem to shift like a dream.

anyone riding 9sp mirage? since it's working well (desperately need a cleaning though), i'm going to ride it for a while, any notes on the low low end of campy?

christian
09-04-2014, 10:52 PM
Ivy had a full group on her old ~2002 Bianchi Eros Donna. It was a bit sloppy in shifting feel compared to higher-end groups, and it looks very very black plasticky, but she rode that bike at least 10,000 miles and it worked fine with minimal adjustments. Overall, the aesthetics are pretty awful but the function was fine.

I also have a Mirage 9sp rear derailleur on my cx bike with an otherwise 10sp Chorus/Centaur group. In that configuration, it's indistinguishable from an all-Centaur group.

beeatnik
09-05-2014, 01:11 AM
the 9/10s hubs are nice

Ralph
09-05-2014, 06:10 AM
I used those shifters for a few years. Believe the internals mostly same as the higher level Chorus and Record 9's shifters. They are repairable. No need to swap them out as long as you are satisfied with the hood shape and 9 speed.

oldpotatoe
09-05-2014, 06:19 AM
more details to come on this, but i just scored a sweet bike on ebay. its quite a gorgeous frame, built with older, 9-sp Mirage components. they seem to shift like a dream.

anyone riding 9sp mirage? since it's working well (desperately need a cleaning though), i'm going to ride it for a while, any notes on the low low end of campy?

Same shift guts as the stuff above it. Old pointy top or newer round top?
Materials but the basic function is the same. If it's 1999, it can be converted to 10s. Good stuff.

moose8
09-05-2014, 07:23 AM
I've got 8-speed mirage on a bike and I always thought it shifts really well - it's very mechanical felling if that makes sense - I click and it shifts without ever messing up.

berserk87
09-05-2014, 09:31 AM
I have owned Mirage 8 speed and some 9 speed stuff. I liked it. It performed well and it was one of the great surprises with bike equipment for me because I did not expect as much out of it as I got. Pretty good value group.

zmudshark
09-05-2014, 10:57 AM
I just built up a bike with some NOS 9s Mirage. Works great.

pbarry
09-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Have Mirage and Xenon on the cross bike. Good stuff, no need to "upgrade".