PDA

View Full Version : Shoe/Orthotics fit

slidey
09-04-2014, 04:45 PM
So I had taken up running, but the continuity of that got marred by shooting pains on the outside of the left knee (only) which I believe was primarily a combination of my poor form in running downhill, and some other factors.

About those other factors, is there any shoe/orthotic fit that someone would do specifically for one's general form? I recall that I had issues when I started cycling, so much so I had sworn off biking before I got a professional fit, and was able to ride free. Makes me think that my feet are wonky, and I can economise by getting them some support in general, rather than check off one sport at a time. Recommendations/references in the SoCal area would be helpful.

About the pain, I'm not too worried. I'm reasonably certain its just IT band inflammation, and I know how to take care of that. If you think I'm wrong on this, then let me know.

bcgav
09-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Sounds like IT band which I'm personally familiar with as well. As far as orthotics/support, first step would be Superfeet green inserts to replace standard insoles that came with your running shoes and go from there. If those don't help then a good fitting at a reputable running store.

Charles M
09-04-2014, 09:27 PM
Go see:

Steve Carre at Bike Effect.
910 Broadway #100, Santa Monica, CA 90401
310-962-6911...

Do it before you waste the dollars on orthitics. If it's something else, he'll find it. If Orthotics are needed, he'll know what type and tell you why (including what might be as simple a thing as shims).

If it's a run review, you can check around. Lots of times it's again, not an insert but the cushioning type and heel drop that will help, but you'll want a pro fitter for that too.

It's not wise to sort these issues out hoping to get lucky trial and error wise getting a forum fit :)

macaroon
09-05-2014, 05:09 AM
I'd get some esoles efit insoles. They come with varying heights of arch support so you can adjust to suit.

Take note of which way your feet/knees want to angle when pedalling, adjust cleats to suit.

Also, have a look at your ankles/soles of your shoes to determine whether you have any over pronation or over supination. If you do, cleat wedges should help, how many is down to trial and error.

Both feet shoudl feel nice and "solid" on the pedal with an even pressure across the ball of your foot/toes. If your knees are swaying inward and brushing the top tube on the downstroke, chances are wedges could benefit you.

Also, make sure your saddle isnt too high, and that you're sat square on the saddle.

slidey
09-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but the responses tell me that I perhaps wasn't very clear in my query.

So, in point-wise format:

1. When I began cycling, I had terrible pains related to the IT band. I then got fit professionally (by Nate Loyal), and I've never had any pains during riding. I know he's loaded my cleats with all sorts of shims/stilts to get me going pain-free, and it works.

2. I began running recently, and I'm having similar IT band pains on the left side.

3. Putting together 1, 2 it'd seem that my gait is wonky.

My Q:
Is there an orthotic fit/fitter who'd look at the general gait irrespective of activity? The idea being, I won't have to refer to professionals in every activity I take up, and just buy relevant footwear and transfer the insoles into them.

cbresciani
09-05-2014, 06:26 PM
You should go to a reputable running store and have them look at your gait.

One of the best running stores here in Phoenix actually video tapes you while you do a short run in front of their store. They then look at your foot strike in slow motion and make recommendations based off of what they see. Whether it be a neutral running shoe, one for over pronation or under pronation.

The other issue you might have which seems likely from what you posted about the shims under your cycling cleats, is one of your legs may be shorter than the other. I have this problem myself, one leg is about a 1/8" shorter than the other. That may not seem like much but if you take into consideration how many times you strike your foot to the pavement it can really cause some issues. It doesn't bother me when riding but running was a different story.

I ended up going to a podiatrist and had some custom made inserts for my running shoes. Seven Half marathons later and I'm having no issues at all.