PDA

View Full Version : OT: Virus Protection for Tablets

johnmdesigner
09-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Just purchased a Samsung tablet - are there any protection programs out there specifically for tablets or do I just add another device to my Norton subscription?

Thanks for your help.

mktng
09-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Do you really need one? I haven't had any virus protection on my phone/tablets in years. Then again. There's nothing important on them. I didn't think you really needed anything extra. Plus.. It would bog the unit down so much.

93legendti
09-04-2014, 09:21 AM
Avg. It is free and also adds theft protection and location assistance if it gets lost or stolen...

ultraman6970
09-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Samsung tabled with android? Norton anti virus in that?? Dont waste your money. Android after all is a linux system, virus in those OSs are not likely to attack you unless you are a super reach person that really worth time to hack your stuff.

I would be more worried about security stuff like gps locator and things like that, doubt you want people to know exactly where the device is, right?

Richard
09-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Lookout works unobtrusively and seems well regarded.

benb
09-04-2014, 03:21 PM
Both Android and iOS are designed in a way that both protects you and makes AV software unnecessary and far less effective than they are on Windows/Mac.

On Android an AV program can actually access and scan some of the files, but most of the application data will likely be inaccessible.

On iOS the program won't really be able to access anything at all.

Basically the only real use case they are going to be worth using for is if you "share" a file from an app directly into the AV app. Otherwise the AV App can't scan the whole tablet or access stuff as it's downloaded as the system security prevents it.

The biggest risk you have on these devices are phishing attacks and stuff like that where someone tricks you.

Waste of money...

mktng
09-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Waste of money and computing power haha :)

biker72
09-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Lookout works unobtrusively and seems well regarded.

And it's free.
I have it on my phone and tablet.