PDA

View Full Version : Mtn bike rental in Park City, Ut

malcolm
09-04-2014, 08:35 AM
I'm going to be in Park City area in a few weeks and would like to do some mtn biking. I'll need a rental, any suggestions? Thanks

Mr. Pink
09-04-2014, 08:44 AM
I'll bet there's at least ten places to rent from.

Deer Valley has lift serviced downhill. World class racing there every year.

malcolm
09-04-2014, 08:49 AM
I'll bet there's at least ten places to rent from.

Deer Valley has lift serviced downhill. World class racing there every year.

Deer Valley is where we'll be. I'm and bit on the old and feeble side for a straight up downhill course, drops and horizontal high speed berms are some 20 years in my past.

CaliFly
09-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Deer Valley is where we'll be. I'm and bit on the old and feeble side for a straight up downhill course, drops and horizontal high speed berms are some 20 years in my past.

I was just up there this past Summer. There are plenty of trails with different level rides. Well marked, too. Have fun!

Mr. Pink
09-04-2014, 10:18 AM

One of the first places I ever did some serious MTB after a quick lesson way back when. After flailing and falling to the bottom, I saw some kid in body armor, and said to myself, hmmmm......, that looks like a solution.

DRZRM
09-04-2014, 10:58 AM
I think Deer Valley rents its own downhill bikes all summer. Jan's Mountain Outfitters is at 1600 Park Ave, on the way up the mountain where you turn from 224 into Park City (and then Deer Valley), also rents bikes/helmets, etc. There are full boing downhill bikes, but there are also very nice XC trails. I was there for a few weeks doing those trails on my travel CX bike with 35mm tires (that said, I got a lot of flats). Stop at Jan's for bike and trail recommendations.

malcolm
09-04-2014, 11:48 AM
I think Deer Valley rents its own downhill bikes all summer. Jan's Mountain Outfitters is at 1600 Park Ave, on the way up the mountain where you turn from 224 into Park City (and then Deer Valley), also rents bikes/helmets, etc. There are full boing downhill bikes, but there are also very nice XC trails. I was there for a few weeks doing those trails on my travel CX bike with 35mm tires (that said, I got a lot of flats). Stop at Jan's for bike and trail recommendations.

thanks. I'm more interested in the XC stuff and scenery than full on downhill

weatherman
09-04-2014, 12:12 PM
thanks. I'm more interested in the XC stuff and scenery than full on downhill

Give the folks at White Pine Touring a call--- http://whitepinetouring.com/

Great operation that I worked with on a recent trip out that way (to do some XC mtn bike riding)

Have a great trip!

eBAUMANN
09-04-2014, 12:15 PM
my only suggestion: try to find a place that "rents" demo bikes, you'll get a MUCH better bike for the same kinda $$...just don't break it ;)

malcolm
09-04-2014, 12:20 PM
my only suggestion: try to find a place that "rents" demo bikes, you'll get a MUCH better bike for the same kinda $$...just don't break it ;)

I've seen that differentiation several times. What makes it a demo bike? Is that one they have as a demo for you to use that's for sale vs one that's a straight up rental?

eBAUMANN
09-04-2014, 12:28 PM
I've seen that differentiation several times. What makes it a demo bike? Is that one they have as a demo for you to use that's for sale vs one that's a straight up rental?

I guess that its not technically part of their "rental fleet" (i.e. alloy giants that get beat on for years) and will ultimately be sold at the "end of the season" as a "floor model" or "demo." Im sure someone who actually owns/works in a shop could explain this better...

All I know is that I was just out in Jackson Hole, WY recently on a similar vacation and had 2 options:

1 - "rent" a entry level giant for $50/day
or
2 - "demo" a ibis mojo HDR for $65/day

Not much of a choice really...

We then went on to return the mtb's and "demo" a couple 6800 equipped dogma's, again, $65/day.

It was awesome.

Some eye candy:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3865/14952895419_24d46cbb7d_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3880/15116582776_59e4b48864_b.jpg

malcolm
09-04-2014, 12:33 PM
that's kinda what I thought. I've been browsing the internet net and seen that distinction several times and the demo is always a little more and seems like the better bike.

eBAUMANN
09-04-2014, 12:40 PM
yea i think the only difference might be the liability factor should you crash and destroy something...

i know a lot of rental places offer "waivers" on rental bikes that cost only a few more bucks and effectively allow you to chuck the thing off a cliff and not be liable.

demo's, if you crash that thing, you're buying it. or at least the replacement parts to fix it.

again, this is all speculation, i probably should have paid closer attention to all those boxes i checked on the demo forms haha

dogdriver
09-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Jan's, Cole Sport, White Pine Touring. Many other options, but they are all "rental-only" outfits. The three I mentioned are retail shops with good reputation, service, and knowledge. Pick up a "Mountain Trails Foundation" trail map and ask a couple questions-- they'll get you on a good ride. Call/PM if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help!

malcolm
09-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Jan's, Cole Sport, White Pine Touring. Many other options, but they are all "rental-only" outfits. The three I mentioned are retail shops with good reputation, service, and knowledge. Pick up a "Mountain Trails Foundation" trail map and ask a couple questions-- they'll get you on a good ride. Call/PM if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help!

thanks, that's what I'll do

dogdriver
09-04-2014, 01:58 PM
thanks, that's what I'll do

Looking forward to it! Here's the link to MTF's interactive map to either whet your whistle or confuse you...

http://www.mountaintrails.org/map/

malcolm
09-10-2014, 08:48 AM
Any recs for places to eat, breweries, etc.?? Park City/Deer Valley

will arrive this Friday back next friday