PDA

View Full Version : Curious about the Kirk Terraplane

saab2000
03-07-2006, 09:02 AM
For those of you have have one, can you tell if the bowed seatstays on Dave Kirk's Terraplane frame really make a difference over straight stays? Logic says they shouldn't hurt at all, and maybe have enough bend/flex to them to smooth out some rough pavement. I would imagine that there could be up to a couple millimeters of travel.

I am not really in the market now for something like that, but was wondering about them after seeing the stays in H.Frank Beshear's pics from the custom gallery.

I know his fans love the bikes in general. I was just wondering if the Terraplane really works as it looks like it might work - a bit like a spring.

Ginger
03-07-2006, 09:08 AM
SAAB,
I have had my terraplane for what....one or two seasons now? And I can say that I still find the bike much more stable on rough pavement than my previous standard stay bikes. The rear wheel does seem to remain on the pavement and the bike "bounces around" less than others I've ridden, somewhat providing a smoother ride. Part of that could be the better weight distribution of a custom bike, but I like to think that part of it is due to the terraplane stays.

dave thompson
03-07-2006, 09:36 AM
SAAB: I had a 'straight-legged' Kirk that I had converted to a Terraplane. I did notice a pretty signifcant difference with the Terraplane. It felt smoother and more planted on the rough surfaces. IMO it was worth the cost.

Dave's an inventive guy and was trying to come up with something like his DKS without infringing on Serottas patent. I think the Terraplane's greatest achievement is the beauty and grace it lends to the bike.

H.Frank Beshear
03-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Saab, I'll let you know sometime in May. :D My wife tells me that patience is a virtue :crap:. Terraplane or not a kirk is worth the wait. Frank

dbrk
03-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Short answer: No. I don't think they move or particularly flex more than straight stays. That's just my experience and I have no axe to grind here.

Longer answer: My Terraplane is a _fantastic_ bike, one that I will not ever sell (hear me on that!), a true keeper. I don't have many bikes I would put in that exalted category. The RIDE is fantastic, truly, the workmanship has only peers (no betters) and the overall design is, to my eye, wonderful, beautiful, quirky, distinctive, nothing like any other bike or design. I still don't think they move (more than comparable straight stays)...Love the aesthetic _and_ the performance whether or not they move.

dbrk

Keith A
03-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Hey dbrk -- What about some pictures of your Terraplane? Did I miss something, or have these not been posted?

Johny
03-07-2006, 02:13 PM
Hey dbrk -- What about some pictures of your Terraplane? Did I miss something, or have these not been posted?

Yes. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=136032&postcount=1

Keith A
03-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks Johny! I can see that I have seen this :confused: too many bikes to keep track of.

Samster
03-07-2006, 08:47 PM
dunno yet... i'm like Frank B. still waiting... i'm hoping Joe Bell will clear out his backlog after the hb show.

personally, i went for the looks. if it rides better than my other bikes, then that's just extra. i just like the way the curves look. but i didn't when i first saw one.

do you still have the merckx majestic? i've grown very happy with mine. just a good, solid all-around bike.

cheers,