PDA

View Full Version : Waterford to produce Schwinn Paramounts on regular basis

Scooper
09-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Bicycle Retailer - September 1, 2014 (http://read.dmtmag.com/i/366215/36)

WATERFORD, WI—Schwinn Paramounts will again roll out of Waterford, Wisconsin, on a regular basis. Waterford Precision Cycles has licensed the Paramount name from Pacific Cycle to launch a three-frame line, starting with an air-hardened steel frame at $3,600. In addition to the air-hardened steel frame, a Paramount stainless frame sells for $5,200, and a stainless rear/air-hardened main triangle rounds out the line at $4,600.

The licensing deal grew out of Waterford’s contract with Pacific Cycle/Schwinn to build a limited 25-frame run of a special 75th anniversary Paramount frame last year.

This is good news for Waterford, the Schwinn brand, and Paramount fans atmo.

Ken Robb
09-03-2014, 09:58 PM
I think I would just buy a custom Waterford, No need to double the price to get "Paramount" decals.

FlashUNC
09-03-2014, 10:39 PM
I saw one of the 75th frames at a local shop. Guy had a pretty comprehensive Paramount collection. Pretty stuff.

Elefantino
09-03-2014, 10:45 PM
I think I would just buy a custom Waterford, No need to double the price to get "Paramount" decals.
Yup.

fogrider
09-03-2014, 11:58 PM
goes to show you, it's all marketing/branding. slap a cool name on something shiny, add a nice back story and big $$$ price tag and tell them to take a number.

tylerbick
09-04-2014, 12:22 AM
"Waterford Precision Cycles has licensed the Paramount name from Pacific Cycle"

Ooof! I wonder how much of this gets passed on to the buyer?

LouDeeter
09-04-2014, 12:23 AM
Until about 1988 or so, the Paramount name was synonymous with quality. Then, Schwinn introduced the PDG bikes, with numbers like PDG-3, 5, 7. They had the Paramount name, but were not the top of the line from Paramount and most were not made in Waterford if I recall, maybe none. I felt that diluted the value of the name.

GeorgeTSquirrel
09-04-2014, 02:02 AM
Never occurred to me to post here, but Richard Schwinn made mention of this on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/schwinnparamount/) a couple of months ago.

Richard Schwinn
July 12
The 75th Anniversary Paramounts have sold out. We've had enough inquiries about Paramount is that we've set up a post-75th Paramount program. To learn more, visit http://schwinnparamount.net.

witcombusa
09-04-2014, 04:41 AM
goes to show you, it's all marketing/branding. slap a cool name on something shiny, add a nice back story and big $$$ price tag and tell them to take a number.

I don't think there will be much of a line forming. The die hard fans just got their 75th bikes after all.

Until about 1988 or so, the Paramount name was synonymous with quality. Then, Schwinn introduced the PDG bikes, with numbers like PDG-3, 5, 7. They had the Paramount name, but were not the top of the line from Paramount and most were not made in Waterford if I recall, maybe none. I felt that diluted the value of the name.

My Paramount is an '85 and is a PDG bike. The quality of the build is as good as any earlier bikes I've seen and a lot better than some of the '70's bikes. Perhaps the "dilution" is that many others stepped up their game!

LouDeeter
09-04-2014, 05:49 AM
http://waterfordbikes.com/w/culture/paramount/pdg-series-bikes-1989-94/

When Schwinn moved Paramount operations to Waterford about 1980, they may have called the early 80s bikes PDG, but those aren't the ones I'm talking about. See link above. The ones I'm talking about were made in Asia, with the Paramount name, from 89-94.

My Paramount is an '85 and is a PDG bike. The quality of the build is as good as any earlier bikes I've seen and a lot better than some of the '70's bikes. Perhaps the "dilution" is that many others stepped up their game![/QUOTE]

oldpotatoe
09-04-2014, 06:33 AM

No kidding..with the -14 series at about $1500 and the TrueTemper Platinum OX at $2300..do't think the decals are worth $2grand.

avalonracing
09-04-2014, 06:36 AM
"waterford precision cycles has licensed the paramount name from pacific cycle"

ooof! I wonder how much of this gets passed on to the buyer?

39000%

SPOKE
09-04-2014, 06:53 AM
I don't think there will be much of a line forming. The die hard fans just got their 75th bikes after all.

Just maybe my 75th anniversary Paramount will arrive sometime soon.