PDA

View Full Version : cross bike that will double as my commuter

Wayne77
09-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Last week I rolled into my office building with my Zanconato, ready to take it up the freight elevator to my floor. I was intercepted by the security guard who explained that the building managers will no longer allow bikes in offices. Not cool, but oh well..I'm sure some clumsy bloke probably dinged up some walls with their muddy huffy... Anyway, now we have to lock up our bikes in a cage in the parking garage. I'm not about to leave my pristine zank in there so I'm thinking I'll pick up a cross bike or something that I can commute in to work on...something in the $800-$1000 range I won't worry as much locking in a common cage, where other bikes might bump against it.

Any suggestions? I'll be using it for a 32 mile commute (each way)..I don't care if it's a little heavier, but it's gotta at least shift and roll smoothly...maybe 105 or Rival level components...

Criteria:

drop bars
2 sets of water bottle bosses
bosses for a rack/fenders (not a must have, but it would be nice)
steel or alu frame, though carbon would be ok
clearance for at least a 32mm tire

I want this to be a commuting beast, something I can put my laptop on a rack if I need to (I'm so done carrying my laptop in a backpack for 30 miles...yuck), But I'd love to be able to strip away the commuting hardware and run cross or hit the gravel if I wanted to.

What are you guys with longish commutes running? Especially those of you who have to bring your laptops home from time to time?

I'm open to all ideas!

rwsaunders
09-03-2014, 02:47 PM
See if you can locate a Poprad in your size. It does all that you've pointed out and it's a "hands free" rider if you know what I mean...good balance and stability. Some of the more recent models had disc tabs too.

Ken Robb
09-03-2014, 02:52 PM
what size do you ride?

Wayne77
09-03-2014, 02:55 PM
See if you can locate a Poprad in your size. It does all that you've pointed out and it's a "hands free" rider if you know what I mean...good balance and stability. Some of the more recent models had disc tabs too.

That's a great idea...I'll look around. Thanks

Wayne77
09-03-2014, 02:56 PM
what size do you ride?

57-58, though sometimes I can make a 56 work, depending on HT length.

Bradford
09-03-2014, 03:01 PM
My commute is 50 miles round trip. I don't even like having anything in my pocket, so backpacks are out of the question. I use an IF Independence for my commute. Great bike for the task, but you are probably looking for something slightly more sporty.

If you go cross, make sure you can mount a rack. I knew a guy who wanted one bike for commuting, cross, and touring so he bought and steel Planet Cross. He loved the bike, but ended up getting a Bob Trailer for touring.

Lovetoclimb
09-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Surly Crosscheck, I used it for commuting and weekend cross racing for 2 years. Now it is a commuter (much shorter distance) and gravel grinder. Has always had a Campy compact 11s drivetrain with many different brakes. Settled on Paul cantis as the best fit.

Also sizing is very straightforward level tube geometry. Tall head tube, standard 1 1/8 hs, simple. Now they make a disc version which may also be attractive to you.

zennmotion
09-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Gunnar Crosshairs is a nice cross frame if you can find a used one. It's a step up/lighter/sportier than a Surly. Nice bike. Old Potatoe sold them, waxes poetic about them. If you're on a budget an older steel sport touring bike with centerpulls would work well too, that's what I commute on (fixed, 15 mi each way). One thing to focus on is the length of the chainstays, especially if you have large feet, some CX bikes with typical 42.5cm stays are barely long enough for heel clearance for decent sized panniers. You want a longish bike if you're going to use panniers, it will handle better with a load as well. I'm partial to older steel Fujis and the like for commuting, with a spread rear for a modern(ish) drivetrain

raygunner
09-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Always loved by Bianchi Volpe.

EDS
09-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Last week I rolled into my office building with my Zanconato, ready to take it up the freight elevator to my floor. I was intercepted by the security guard who explained that the building managers will no longer allow bikes in offices. Not cool, but oh well..I'm sure some clumsy bloke probably dinged up some walls with their muddy huffy... Anyway, now we have to lock up our bikes in a cage in the parking garage. I'm not about to leave my pristine zank in there so I'm thinking I'll pick up a cross bike or something that I can commute in to work on...something in the $800-$1000 range I won't worry as much locking in a common cage, where other bikes might bump against it.

Any suggestions? I'll be using it for a 32 mile commute (each way)..I don't care if it's a little heavier, but it's gotta at least shift and roll smoothly...maybe 105 or Rival level components...

Criteria:

drop bars

I want this to be a commuting beast, something I can put my laptop on a rack if I need to (I'm so done carrying my laptop in a backpack for 30 miles...yuck), But I'd love to be able to strip away the commuting hardware and run cross or hit the gravel if I wanted to.

What are you guys with longish commutes running? Especially those of you who have to bring your laptops home from time to time?

I'm open to all ideas!

A used Gunnar crosshairs (or new if your budget was just for the frame)?

Jgrooms
09-03-2014, 03:42 PM
Spec Tricross. Dime a dozen. Massive tire clearance - like > 45- rack mounts, 3 bottle mounts, many build types...

biker72
09-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Another vote for the Specialized Tricross.

Jgrooms
09-03-2014, 03:56 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/03/e753df01964b86d89282dd2fd276ee7f.jpg

I am biased though...

This is the E5 alum/carbon mix version w some upgrades to come in under 18lbs. Slap some fenders on it and ride in some sketch/miserable conditions, which still better than sweatin in the basement w the dog imo.

p nut
09-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Crux (http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=31226756&cat=&lpid=1&search=cross check&ad_cid=9) plus frame bag? I like the aluminum frame for all that salt they put on our roads.

Or I've got a Cross Check that works really well, but next go around, I'd probably go disc (Straggler). Maybe a Vaya?

EDIT: This bike (http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=31025257&cat=&lpid=1&search=salsa&ad_cid=2) may work as well.

p nut
09-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Surly Crosscheck....Tall head tube....

Actually, Surly probably has the shortest HT I've seen on a frame my size. One of my (small) complaints about this bike.

shovelhd
09-03-2014, 04:27 PM
My Redline with commuting setup, back from a late fall run.

It's for sale, but even if it were your size (this is a 52cm) shipping to SLC would not be cheap.

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l453/shovelfl/bikeforums/IMG_0164.jpg

Wayne77
09-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Great suggestion everyone - Poprad, Surly cross check, Gunnar cross hairs, Spec tri cross, Bianchi, Salsa, Redline, etc... I have a lot of homework to do...

much appreciated

msl819
09-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Another vote for the Gunnar Crosshairs... I wish I had never sold mine.

leooooo
09-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Don't know about the prices for the rest of the aforementioned bikes but: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_cxx.htm

$800 bucks (I bought it when it was 700). Full SRAM Apex meaning cranks, FD are Apex as well. BD usually does the ol' switch-a-roo with those parts.

Clearance for 32mm and ability to mount racks, all present and are critical for a commuter. The small motobecane branding may help (most likely not) in attracting attention for a lock up bike.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3837/14803999034_768f48f412_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/oybn9E)

I commute daily on mine, 28mm tires and I rotate the rack on and off monthly.
Seriously thinking about a seat mounted go-pro as well, now that school and its associated traffic has begun

Admiral Ackbar
09-03-2014, 05:14 PM
id say get an all city space horse.

clearance for 32s and fenders + separate rack and fender mounts, including for front lowrider/panniers

almost all cx frames won't have rack or fender mounts which would be a huge deal breaker for me on a commuter. sweaty backpack back + soggy toes is no fun

kevinvc
09-03-2014, 05:42 PM
Soma Double Cross

Available with disc or canti brakes. Super versatile, tabs for fenders and racks, can take big tires, lighter than the Surly and rides quite comfortably. I've personally seen these used for cross racing, commuting, gravel grinding. I talked to a guy who has loaded one up for touring and someone else who swears that it performs fine with narrow tires on club rides.

I test rode one and really liked it. I finally settled on the Soma ES instead because I wanted something a little sportier, but I kind of regret not getting the Double Cross now.

mistermo
09-03-2014, 05:50 PM
A Poprad is a no-brainer, provided it fits. It has higher quality steel (and you'll feel it) than a Surly or All City.

If I could have only one bike, and it had to cost less than $1K, it'd be a Poprad.

I have a Crosshairs. Poprads cost less and are an equivalent frame.

bobswire
09-03-2014, 06:10 PM
A Poprad is a no-brainer, provided it fits. It has higher quality steel (and you'll feel it) than a Surly or All City.

If I could have only one bike, and it had to cost less than $1K, it'd be a Poprad.

I have a Crosshairs. Poprads cost less and are an equivalent frame.

No offense but I owned literally over 100 hundred bikes, that has included Moots, Seven, Soma DC,Cinelli, Merckx, Lemond Popard just to name a few but come rain or shine if I want a do all bike for commuting or just ahving fun nothing beats my Surly CC. Ican go from 23mm to 44 mm tires at a moments notice and adjust the length via the long horizontal drop outs to suit the ride.

http://i57.tinypic.com/k3x4jo.jpg

If fact I took this video a couple of days while experimenting with a Vivitar 787 DVR camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDsb27y1CEI

pzung
09-03-2014, 06:12 PM
You have the same problem I encountered recently in my office park. They don't want you to bring the bike inside the office because they treat bikes just like vehicles and the fire marshals are very strict with enforcement. Fortunately, they provide a cage for all the bike commuters (under card access), but this is not enough re-assurance to bring my high end rigs.

Having said this, I started commuting with my single speed steel bike recently. I have 30-mile commute so it is not as long as yours. Been bothered by the the backpack solution to bring the change of clothes, lunch, and tools/lock/spare tube/lights. It is just not comfortable and always have to play with the uneven weight distribution. Fellow forum members suggested I try the Topeak MTX solution and I like it. As you can see in the attached picture, the bag easily slides in/out of the rack (and portable) and the 2 side pockets of the bag fold out to become panniers. When used with a padded notebook bag, the panniers can easily fit a large size notebook.

Hope this helps. Definitely get the rack eyelets and the fender mount in your frame. My solution can only hold light loads.

Criteria:

drop bars

I'm open to all ideas!

shovelhd
09-03-2014, 06:12 PM
One thing you'll want to keep in mind as you look at commuting frames is not only the tire width that will fit, but potential fender width. They may not be the same depending on the fork and rear stay construction. You might have to trim them, and even after trimming they may not fit you preferred tire size.

I have the same Topeak MTX on my bike and it worked perfectly for commuting. It would fit five days worth of dirty clothes.

fa63
09-03-2014, 06:19 PM
I have an aluminum cross frame in your size, built to take disc brakes and with fender and rack mounts. It is currently built up with a mishmash of parts, including a new set of fenders and rear rack. I have a set of the newer Sora shifters (without the thumb shifter) to go on it as well (it has a Sora 9 speed rear derailleur), along with BB7 road brake calipers and a new set of disc wheels. Anyways, I have decided that I don't like disc brakes and want a single speed commuter, so I have been thinking about selling it. It would be in your price range as well. Let me know if you might be interested, and I can take a couple pictures and send them to you.

Ken Robb
09-03-2014, 06:51 PM
57-58, though sometimes I can make a 56 work, depending on HT length.

My wife tells me she is through with cycling so her Rivendell Romulus can be sold. It is a Riv 59 but they measure c-t so it's about 58 by 57.5 c-c. It has eyelets front/rear and 43.5 chainstays. Sugino triple, DA 9 speed Barends, 105 derailers and hubs,32 hole Arraya rims, Shimano dual pivot long-reach brakes. Various saddles/pedals available. Actually I have LOTS of parts to customize a bike to suit most folks. There is a small scratch on the top tube. I think that's all. These are very similar to the Riv Rambouillet with a simpler paint job. $1,000 sound fair?

If this is of interest I will double check specs and get you some pix.

cinema
09-03-2014, 07:04 PM
Something cheap from Bikesdirect. Or surly cross check get rid of the decals. the latter is a better ride but more expensive for something that you must accept will most likely get partly/entirely stolen eventually.

I've been commuting on a cross check for a while and it takes literally whatever you throw at it. Strong as an ox and have endo'ed hard on a 35mph descent, been hit twice by cars (slow moving), bike still rides no hands and sails wherever i point it. not an exacto knife around corners though, partly due to high BB (which is where the short head tube comes from. spacers are your friend. it's an old school cross thing). Currently it's set up with a nitto r14 rear rack which has been bomb proof. it supports a carradice camper longflap that will hold groceries and a dozen roses laid sideways for my lady if i make a stop on the ride home. I have a front marks rack but I don't use it much; the bike is clearly rear load biased so take that into consideration.

I have a smaller frame, 52cm, and can fit bruce gordon rock n roads. They're something like 43mm with smallish knobs. i couldn't fit 45mm smart sams on without getting frame rub.

The only caveat is cantilevers but there is a disc version now. still prefer canti's due to ease of maintenance but throw mini-vs on there and you're good to go for literally anything.

tumbler
09-03-2014, 07:27 PM
Another vote for the Poprad. Nice steel and well built. These pop up on eBay pretty regularly, some in pretty nice condition. At the other end of the spectrum, you could pick up Nashbar's aluminum cross frame for ~$100 and build it up with 105 or something reliable. That wouldn't attract much attention and you wouldn't have to worry about it getting dinged since the reviews say that the paint job is already pretty bad :)

jr59
09-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Crux (http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=31226756&cat=&lpid=1&search=cross check&ad_cid=9) plus frame bag? I like the aluminum frame for all that salt they put on our roads.

Or I've got a Cross Check that works really well, but next go around, I'd probably go disc (Straggler). Maybe a Vaya?

EDIT: This bike (http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=31025257&cat=&lpid=1&search=salsa&ad_cid=2) may work as well.

Finding a rack for the Straggler is not an easy thing.

hockeybike
09-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Salsa casseroll. Love the versatility of the bike. Has long reach brakes, room for fenders and racks, and fits a 32mm tire under fenders no problem. Damn solid bike, for sure.

dancinkozmo
09-03-2014, 08:16 PM
i commuted on a kona "jake the snake" for a few years without any issues.

mmfs
09-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Another vote for the Crosscheck. I've been commuting on my single speed, fendered, rear-racked, front-basketed, beef gravy brown version for five years and love it. No nonsense and lots of fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OperaLover
09-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Soma Double Cross

Available with disc or canti brakes. Super versatile, tabs for fenders and racks, can take big tires, lighter than the Surly and rides quite comfortably. I've personally seen these used for cross racing, commuting, gravel grinding. I talked to a guy who has loaded one up for touring and someone else who swears that it performs fine with narrow tires on club rides.

I test rode one and really liked it. I finally settled on the Soma ES instead because I wanted something a little sportier, but I kind of regret not getting the Double Cross now.

I've had a surly which got crunched into the garage. It was nice. Now have a soma double x and it has been great commuter. Nicer tubing (tange prestige main tubes)Eyelets for rack and fenders. Very stable at speed. Even pulled the burley piccolo. For the kids.

GeorgeTSquirrel
09-04-2014, 01:54 AM
All City Mr. Pink is a great bike and will fit 32mm cross tires (just lacks the brakes for serious wet mud). It also doesn't have rack mounts, but it's a blast to ride and more sporty than it is commuter-y.

Jamis Quest is another fun commuter/do-anything sort of bike.

Others that have already been mentioned: Poprad, Space Horse, Straggler, DoubleCross, Tricross, Cassaroll, Vaya... all great bikes that I'd recommend. All are bikes that I know at least one person commuting on.

I'd also add the Focus Mares AX which is more of a commuting line with aluminum frame and carbon fork. Fun bike and a good price when you catch them on clearance (Jenson).

Nice to see all the love in this thread for the CrossHairs, as I was considering picking up the almost-identical Hyper-x at some point. Wouldn't be my choice for a bike that sits in a cage outside of work though.

Pyramor
09-04-2014, 05:31 AM
I would also second the Soma Double Cross. I am actively considering one for running errands into town (10-12 miles each way) which I can also use as a gravel grinder in the mountains. I like longish top tubes and the Soma is longer per size than others mentioned. Also, you can use 38 mm tires with fenders and has rack eyelets. All around great bike, but hard to find used.

weisan
09-04-2014, 07:58 AM
Another data point.

Six months ago, I went hunting for a commuter bike. Found a mid-80s bianchi steel bike on the local craigslist, paid $100. The frame & fork are in good shape, managed to salvage the crankset, but removed the rest of the components. Then decided to do a 650b conversion. Bought a set of sturdy hand-built 650b wheelset and Panaracer Col de la Vie 650B x 38mm tires off eBay, came up to about $200. Then cobbled together the rest of the parts from what I already have and from a local volunteered-based community bike shop called Austin Yellow Bike Project. The bike in its final form has medium reach brakes, full size fenders, pannier rack, frame pump, low gear (11-34 cassette), upright handlebar, top it off with a nice-looking bell in the front. Other than using it for the short commute (<3 miles) to and back from the train station everyday, I also ride it regularly in gravel along a 10_mile loop around a lake in downtown during lunch rides. Without saying, I am very happy with the final outcome. Had a lot of fun in the process of sourcing the parts and putting everything together for not too much coin, and ended up with a perfectly functional multi-purpose machine that is actually a joy to ride on.

polyhistoric
09-04-2014, 10:34 AM
1. Alu - no rust when the inevitable knicks and scrapes occur.
2. They are everywhere - cheap when used and not a high profile for thieves.
3. Have rack/fender mounts - I use the Topeak MTX system and have been very happy with the ease of use and transformation.
4. The Tricross has a blended touring/cross geometry, so not as twitchy as a Crux for the sleepy morning ride in.

xeladragon
09-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Surly Cross Check and Topeak MTX get my vote.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3893/14952954280_e61425bd0c_b.jpg

lookout2015
09-09-2014, 10:00 AM
Finding a rack for the Straggler is not an easy thing.

http://surlybikes.com/blog/post/surly_racks_surly_bikes...warning_all_our_things_d ont_always_work_with_all

is the officialish answer to that