PDA

View Full Version : Jens having a go at the Hour Record

Admiral Ackbar
09-03-2014, 09:34 AM
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/jens-voigt-tackle-hour-record-september-18-134698

i am so excited

FastforaSlowGuy
09-03-2014, 09:37 AM
I have mixed feelings about the guy, but going for it on such a short timeline is very much in character. He sees that nobody else has scheduled an attempt, so he launches his own. Just like he raced: if nobody is pushing the pace, ATTACK!

I'll be very curious to see how he does. Not exactly known for dominating races against the clock.

oldpotatoe
09-03-2014, 09:39 AM
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/jens-voigt-tackle-hour-record-september-18-134698

i am so excited

Mee too, good on him...and the 'classic' record at that, of course!!

nooneline
09-03-2014, 10:04 AM
He should be able to break the record as long as they stick a chasing peloton behind him.

spartanKid
09-03-2014, 10:12 AM
I don't see how he WON'T break the record now that they allow pursuit gear.

alessandro
09-03-2014, 10:37 AM

MattTuck
09-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Indeed. The UCI's rule change has attracted interest in the hour record...

So much so that Jens is now having a go at it. Does anyone believe this is anything more than a stunt?

ultraman6970
09-03-2014, 10:49 AM
My 1st question is, does he has track experience??

Not against the try, all good for him but darn... roadies in the track suffer at lot when they dont spend a few months to get the legs strong enough and even more if we talk about a TT in the track.

This is something I would like to see in person, doesnt matter what the result is.

FlashUNC
09-03-2014, 11:11 AM
I hope he fails spectacularly. Can't stand the guy.

Vientomas
09-03-2014, 11:39 AM
I wonder if Jens is the test pilot for a future attempt by Cancellara.

Formulasaab
09-03-2014, 11:49 AM
I'm a bit surprised but he's a real "what the heck" kind of guy so I guess I shouldn't be.

I've always thought that Taylor Phinney could murder this record (once he's healthy again). He was dominant on the track when he was racing the individual pursuit. So he knows how to do it. I have no idea how much track experience Jens has.

CunegoFan
09-03-2014, 12:01 PM

So much so that Jens is now having a go at it. Does anyone believe this is anything more than a stunt?

The ridiculous change in rules has opened up a small window for Jens. The existing record stands but new technology is allowed. Anyone who can hit 50km in an hour will get the record. It will stand until the more serious time trialists give it a go.

Cancellara has backed out; he is also preparing for the RR WC. Martin seems to have no interest. Wiggins is doing the Tour of Britain then the WC. Voigt has a decent shot at getting the record as long as someone else does not hop on the track in the next two weeks. He might have been better off making the anouncement a bit later.

David Kirk
09-03-2014, 12:03 PM
I assume he will be using pursuit gear? Does it say anywhere?

dave

sailorboy
09-03-2014, 12:06 PM
To quote David Spade from SNL (with a photo of Eddie Murphy behind him);

"OH LOOK KIDS, A FALLING STAR!"

harlond
09-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Does anyone believe this is anything more than a stunt?Isn't that kinda what the hour record is?

FastforaSlowGuy
09-03-2014, 12:11 PM
The ridiculous change in rules has opened up a small window for Jens.

Why ridiculous? Ours is a sport that exists at the interface between human ability and engineering know-how (and a touch of pharmacology). Freezing technology to what existed in the Merckx era never made much sense to me and only served to dampen the engineering half of the sport. Seems to me that opening it up to pursuit technology - i.e., bikes one can legally ride in UCI sanctioned races - is a fair compromise.

All that said, I think Jens will have his hands full. That's a goodly distance to cover in an hour, in an environment that is at least somewhat foreign to him, and without the psychological advantage of a chasing peloton hot on his heels. I'd be surprised if he breaks it. But then I find him and his "shut up legs" fanboys sort of annoying, so maybe my pessimism stems from that.

CunegoFan
09-03-2014, 12:13 PM
As a self promoted "hard man" what Jens should do if he takes the record is rest for a couple of days then see what he can do Eddy Merckx style.

MattTuck
09-03-2014, 12:14 PM
The ridiculous change in rules has opened up a small window for Jens. The existing record stands but new technology is allowed. Anyone who can hit 50km in an hour will get the record. It will stand until the more serious time trialists give it a go.

Cancellara has backed out; he is also preparing for the RR WC. Martin seems to have no interest. Wiggins is doing the Tour of Britain then the WC. Voigt has a decent shot at getting the record as long as someone else does not hop on the track in the next two weeks. He might have been better off making the anouncement a bit later.

Yeah, I think we're in agreement on the rule change. Even if he does get the "record", he will only go down in the history books as an asterisk. Taking advantage of an arbitrary rule change to get the record... no one today (or in the future) believes he is a legitimate contender for the hour record.

Formulasaab
09-03-2014, 01:16 PM
... in the history books as an asterisk.

That's already the case though.

For all intents and purposes, the modern history book is Wikipedia. The Wikipedia article makes it clear that as technology marches on the bikes and rider positions change and the record has to be looked at in that qualified light.

Still, until today I'd never heard of Ondřej Sosenka or Frank Dodds. But I certainly did know the names Moser, Boardman, Indurain, Obree, and Rominger.

I don't see the point in holding it against Jens if you don't hold it against Merckx. Neither of them used the penny farthing that Dodds used.

Elefantino
09-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Shut up, clock.

oldpotatoe
09-03-2014, 01:44 PM

Porque? Nor looking to argue but just wondering. Now I have little time for 'spartucus' or the Schlek sisters or some others but I think Jens is good for the sport...encourages people to watch/follow cycling.

FlashUNC
09-03-2014, 01:50 PM
Porque? Nor looking to argue but just wondering. Now I have little time for 'spartucus' or the Schlek sisters or some others but I think Jens is good for the sport...encourages people to watch/follow cycling.

I used to be a huge Jens fan.

Then I read his Bicycling column right after the USADA Reasoned Decision dropped.

He spends about a 1,000 words talking about how even though he came up in the East German system, and rode in the late 90s, and rode on Credit Agricole with some dopers, and on CSC with some dopers, that he never saw any evidence of doping ever and was continually surprised at each new doping revelation.

Either he's a moron and completely naive, or is perpetuating the omerta with his ridiculous Sgt Schultz routine and thinks the fans are stupid with this bizarre CYA attempt.

Shame of it is if he rode clean, he's probably someone who was robbed of wins by the guys riding with jet fuel.

So yeah, I got no time for the guy.

CunegoFan
09-03-2014, 01:59 PM

Then I read his Bicycling column right after the USADA Reasoned Decision dropped.

He spends about a 1,000 words talking about how even though he came up in the East German system, and rode in the late 90s, and rode on Credit Agricole with some dopers, and on CSC with some dopers, that he never saw any evidence of doping ever and was continually surprised at each new doping revelation.

Either he's a moron and completely naive, or is perpetuating the omerta with his ridiculous Sgt Schultz routine and thinks the fans are stupid with this bizarre CYA attempt.

Shame of it is if he rode clean, he's probably someone who was robbed of wins by the guys riding with jet fuel.

What do you expect riders to say? As long as the UCI maintains its policy of scapegoating riders then no one will volunteer to be a scape goat.. Blame the UCI and WADA instead of individual riders.

FastforaSlowGuy
09-03-2014, 01:59 PM

He's exciting to watch race, but all the other crap is sorta nauseating. His stupid "shut up legs" catch phrase just irritates me. It reminds me of something I'd hear in a Soul Cycle class. And my little patience for the Jens Show evaporated this year when the P&P duo - at the Tour and most recently at USAPC - elevated the guy way, way beyond what was deserved and made him out to be some relentless, unstoppable cycling god. I think that does a disservice to all the other guys in the breakaway(s) with him. And I'll second the remarks about his handling of the doping culture in cycling. It' simply inconceivable that he didn't see and know what was going on, unless he is the stupidest creature ever to ride on two wheels. He would have been better off saying nothing than asking the world to believe he was duped.

beeatnik
09-03-2014, 02:16 PM

Haha. He is quite a disingenuous fellow.

spartanKid
09-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Voigt has a decent shot at getting the record as long as someone else does not hop on the track in the next two weeks. He might have been better off making the anouncement a bit later.

He won't have any challengers in the next two weeks. In order to qualify as an attempt, you have to be on the bio-passport system, which is a pretty exclusive list.

FlashUNC
09-03-2014, 02:19 PM
What do you expect riders to say? As long as the UCI maintains its policy of scapegoating riders then no one will volunteer to be a scape goat.. Blame the UCI and WADA instead of individual riders.

Either be honest about what he saw over two decades, or shut his mouth and not say anything.

The middle ground of "Gosh golly, I was just so amazed every time someone got caught and I never suspected anyone!" is particularly insulting as a fan when I can watch a race from the other side of the world and see guys are all sorts of juiced. But he's got the gall to say he rode with these guys for decades and never suspected?

This is a guy who's first tour was the Festina Affair for Pete's sake. After climbing the ranks in the East German -- and later unified -- German system. Which we know now was about as doped as it gets. Ullrich, Kloden, Zabel, etc etc.

You're right the sport's governing bodies do unfairly scapegoat the riders. But that doesn't absolve Jens of either being a moron, or thinking the rest of us are.

bluto
09-03-2014, 02:34 PM
that didn't take long......i think it's a little attention whoring at best

Admiral Ackbar
09-03-2014, 02:49 PM
wow i had no idea so many people disliked him ...a moron, naive, disingenuous, attention whore, doper... y'all sound like you have a personal vendetta against the dude!

CunegoFan
09-03-2014, 02:51 PM
The middle ground of "Gosh golly, I was just so amazed every time someone got caught and I never suspected anyone!" is particularly insulting as a fan when I can watch a race from the other side of the world and see guys are all sorts of juiced. But he's got the gall to say he rode with these guys for decades and never suspected?

I don't see a big difference--or any at all--between Voigt and LeMond. LeMond will tell you the same thing. He saw nothing and was barely aware that there was doping in cycling. He is now hanging out with Indurain and calling Pantani a great champion.

None of these guys will fall on their own sword or stab teammates in the back. I am a bit puzzled about why people expect professionals to be saints by sacrificing themselves for the idealistic view of pro sports held by a few amateurs.

FlashUNC
09-03-2014, 03:04 PM
I don't see a big difference--or any at all--between Voigt and LeMond. LeMond will tell you the same thing. He saw nothing and was barely aware that there was doping in cycling. He is now hanging out with Indurain and calling Pantani a great champion.

None of these guys will fall on their own sword or stab teammates in the back. I am a bit puzzled about why people expect professionals to be saints by sacrificing themselves for the idealistic view of pro sports held by a few amateurs.

Not exactly accurate. Greg's been a very vocal anti-doping advocate as early as 2000, and attributes his rather quick retirement to guys getting on the dope train hard. That's far different than Voight's Sgt Schultz routine.

I don't expect any of these guys to be saints. I fully expect all of them to dope. Any brief reading of the sport's history shows that doping is the norm rather than the exception. So for a guy to have been around the pro ranks as long as Jens who then does that ridiculous soft shoe of "man, I never saw anything" is absurd.

I'd like to think a guy like him would want to out the dopers, given the fact they probably took bread off his table. Certainly seems -- assuming he was clean -- he would have won a lot more races had the dopers not been around.

FastforaSlowGuy
09-03-2014, 03:14 PM

I think his point is that nobody twisted Jens' arm to write what he did. His choice to do it. Fans are forcing him to open his mouth, but when he chooses to do so, we can hold him accountable for what comes out. I don't expect anyone to be a saint, but I reserve to right to dislike someone for treating me like an idiot.

I don't want to drag this off topic too much, but where did you come up with your reading of Lemond's past statements. My recollection is that he endured some hard times precisely because he was willing to speak out about the unspeakable. And let's not forget that his era of competition - while probably far from clean - ended when the real arms race really heated up.

merckx
09-03-2014, 03:16 PM

All of Professional cycling is a stunt, particularly the hour record.

Md3000
09-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Ooohh it didnt take long before the morally correct wagging finger lounging in armchair doping police showed up! Weighing every word uttered by every rider since 1998, regardless of hard facts whether this person doped or not. Some people just don't feel compelled to get on the barricades for justice in the sport, who cares. I don't need to read a vindictive statement from every single rider about who's done what, when, if he has done it, if he's crying cos he lost a race against a doper etc etc.. so boring. Oh and he's German, and I know three other Germans who doped, so this guy must also have been on the juice!!

I think he's a funny guy, he adds a bit of personality to the sport, and he was a solid attacking rider. No legend of the sport, but a good puncheur of which I wish we had a few more to make races interesting. Yes he said "shut up legs", but it became a catch phrase cos it caught on with people, not cos he made it up to be his motto or something. Funny too that he quit professional racing and it took him exactly 4 days to get bored and get on the hour-record train lol!

CunegoFan
09-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Not exactly accurate. Greg's been a very vocal anti-doping advocate as early as 2000, and attributes his rather quick retirement to guys getting on the dope train hard. That's far different than Voight's Sgt Schultz routine.

No. LeMond has been vocal about doping Americans who eclipsed his public profile a decade after he retired. Not so much for the Europeans who actually affected his palmares. And when it comes to his time racing, about the most he saw was people asking him if he was "prepared." He is not calling out Hinault or Kelly or Indurain or Roche or Delgado. In fact he is doing public relations appearances with those guys.

I don't expect any of these guys to be saints. I fully expect all of them to dope. Any brief reading of the sport's history shows that doping is the norm rather than the exception. So for a guy to have been around the pro ranks as long as Jens who then does that ridiculous soft shoe of "man, I never saw anything" is absurd.

That is a result of UCI policy. When the UCI decided to pretend the doping problem was just a few bad apples, everyone in the sport had to play along. It is a sordid situation but that is just the way it is. One rider suiciding in the name of truth does not accomplish anything other than end the deluded SOB's career.

Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Shortsocks
09-03-2014, 03:28 PM
This always turns into a doping subject. So irritating.

Off topic, I went to SAMS Club today and bought three loafs of banana nut bread, on an empty stomach stupid decision. Came home and opened them up to taste it...horrible. Just bad. I feel like an idiot.

Now I'm stuck with three loafs of banana nut bread. Can I return that? Just because it tastes like crap? My wife is going to kill me. :confused:

FastforaSlowGuy
09-03-2014, 03:28 PM
All of Professional cycling is a stunt, particularly the hour record.

Agree. But I think this stunt is particularly good for the sport. It's sort of like the Mile of cycling. It's something anyone can understand. No tactics, no complicated drama, no "is that still going on?". One hour, pedal as far as you can, see what happens. And I think the engineering feats that accompany it draw people in. The wacky bike designs and equally wacky positions might bear little resemblance to what we call "cycling," but it makes the story more intriguing for the general public. All-in-all, seems like a good thing for the sport.

Jgrooms
09-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Testing equip for FC is a good gig if you can get it.

Formulasaab
09-03-2014, 03:35 PM

I know. I feel the same way. It is an internet forum though so I don't know what else I expected to happen.

This thread has doped. I'm unsubbing from it.

brando
09-03-2014, 03:55 PM

Agree with all of this except one big difference is that Jens has a more jovial personality when drinking.

bikinchris
09-03-2014, 04:40 PM

Off topic, I went to SAMS Club today and bought three loafs of banana nut bread, on an empty stomach stupid decision. Came home and opened them up to taste it...horrible. Just bad. I feel like an idiot.

Now I'm stuck with three loafs of banana nut bread. Can I return that? Just because it tastes like crap? My wife is going to kill me. :confused:

Here:
"This is the recipe that Lance Armstrong's mom used for the banana bread she fed him while he was growing up and racing. It's from her book No Mountain High Enough. As she describes this bread, "It is not just good, it's WAY good. It's forget your middle name good."

Ingredients:

Yield: 1 Loaf

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (preferably not lowfat)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups flour
2 mashed ripe bananas
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2 Cream butter, sugar, eggs, bananas and vanilla together into a lovely, ooey-gooey mess.

3 Mix the buttermilk and soda together and add to the sweet, creamy banana mess.

4 Gradually add the flour and salt and mix well.

5 Add chopped nuts.

6 Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan and bake for one hour or until center is cooked.

Total Time: 1hr 10min

Prep Time: 10 mins

Cook Time: 1hr

Jgrooms
09-03-2014, 05:17 PM

:

Well as old Jens said he is a "bridge" to the past. How appropriate. Until the old guard goes, it'll always be this. And I agree, very irritating.

jlwdm
09-03-2014, 05:27 PM

If it was from Costco you could. But it would taste better.

Jeff

malbecman
09-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Ooohh it didnt take long before the morally correct wagging finger lounging in armchair doping police showed up! Weighing every word uttered by every rider since 1998, regardless of hard facts whether this person doped or not. Some people just don't feel compelled to get on the barricades for justice in the sport, who cares. I don't need to read a vindictive statement from every single rider about who's done what, when, if he has done it, if he's crying cos he lost a race against a doper etc etc.. so boring. Oh and he's German, and I know three other Germans who doped, so this guy must also have been on the juice!!

I think he's a funny guy, he adds a bit of personality to the sport, and he was a solid attacking rider. No legend of the sport, but a good puncheur of which I wish we had a few more to make races interesting. Yes he said "shut up legs", but it became a catch phrase cos it caught on with people, not cos he made it up to be his motto or something. Funny too that he quit professional racing and it took him exactly 4 days to get bored and get on the hour-record train lol!

I agree with this....plus, any guy who started in 17 TDFs and apparently started in over 1900 races total in his lifetime (I heard that comment from Phil Liggett) deserves some respect.

Shortsocks
09-03-2014, 06:12 PM
If it was from Costco you could. But it would taste better.

Jeff

You're right. SO SO right. I don't even know why I went to SAM's. :mad:

Here:
"This is the recipe that Lance Armstrong's mom used for the banana bread she fed him while he was growing up and racing. It's from her book No Mountain High Enough. As she describes this bread, "It is not just good, it's WAY good. It's forget your middle name good."

That's it. We need to do a Group buy from Lance's mom on some Banana Bread.
I've eaten at the KFC she used to work at in east Plano when she worked there.....it was t so good, but I bet this Bread of hers is. :)

firerescuefin
09-03-2014, 06:26 PM

I think you missed the point. No one expects him to "get on the barricades for justice" ...nor are we "weighing every word". Every time he has been asked the question regarding the era he rode in he plays stupid and lies come out of his mouth. Many on here wouldn't have an issue if he gave the "see no evil/hear no evil" no comment or indirectly choose to not answer the question. Lying and continue to tell more lies (like every time he opens his mouth on the subject) gets old. You want to take the words coming out his mouth as "truth", that is certainly your perogative. Nothing.....as in 0 with regard to his past would make me believe that he was A...clean or B....ignorant of what was going on around him. Your posts paint realists as blind eyed cynics. Believe what you want, but I find the idea of him being legit as comical.

On Topic:

I'm interested in people taking on the hour record. If Jens kicks it off, it will gain traction sooner than later. That's a good thing.

harryblack
09-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Voight's a clown; hope he puts on the red nose and fails spectacularly, for mostly the same reason FlashUNC gives. I'm not even a doping hardliner but the insipid hypocrisy and opportunism is nauseating...

Likewise knucklheheads who decided their daily bike rides are "epic" and that one can actually "bonk" riding a few miles from home to store because "epic" "bonks" are what "real" "hard" cyclists "do."

This may or not may not be good for a certain segment of LBS owner(s) but as far as sports, language, culture etc, Jens' schtick is straight nonsense-- at least Thomas Voeckler has existential "panache." (Thomas Danielson = execrable.)

Come back Udo Bolts, all is forgiven!

pbarry
09-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Tony Martin has a better shot at the HR.

rustychisel
09-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Voight's a clown; hope he puts on the red nose and fails spectacularly, for mostly the same reason FlashUNC gives. I'm not even a doping hardliner but the insipid hypocrisy and opportunism is nauseating...

Likewise knucklheheads who decided their daily bike rides are "epic" and that one can actually "bonk" riding a few miles from home to store because "epic" "bonks" are what "real" "hard" cyclists "do."

This may or not may not be good for a certain segment of LBS owner(s) but as far as sports, language, culture etc, Jens' schtick is straight nonsense-- at least Thomas Voeckler has existential "panache." (Thomas Danielson = execrable.)

Whew. I'm not on your wavelength perhaps, but do I have this right? I'm just failing in the connection to the hour record, but

you don't like Jens Voigt?
You don't like knuckleheads?
you don't like people who ride their bikes?
you don't like certain LBS owners?
you DO like Thomas Voeckler?
you don't like Tom Danielson?
you DO like Udo Bolts?

So would it be alright if Thomas Voeckler attempted the 'hour' yet failed because his panache didn't measure up to the physical demands, or is that too simplistic an analysis? :rolleyes:

Md3000
09-03-2014, 08:28 PM
Your posts paint realists as blind eyed cynics. Believe what you want, but I find the idea of him being legit as comical.

I've only posted once in this thread.
You're not a realist if you assume almost all riders from that era doped simply because of associating with other dopers or teams of dopers without hard evidence. Also, I don't want to read his words as truth, I simply do not care. Cycling was never clean, it will never be clean. What annoys me more than doping itself is the people who keep expecting things from riders, assuming things, and passing moral judgements from positions that are a lot more comfortable than on a bike for 6 hrs per day times 3 weeks times 17 years and that's only his tdf appearances.

firerescuefin
09-03-2014, 08:34 PM
I've only posted once in this thread.
You're not a realist if you assume almost all riders from that era doped simply because of associating with other dopers or teams of dopers without hard evidence. Also, I don't want to read his words as truth, I simply do not care. Cycling was never clean, it will never be clean. What annoys me more than doping itself is the people who keep expecting things from riders, assuming things, and passing moral judgements from positions that are a lot more comfortable than on a bike for 6 hrs per day times 3 weeks times 17 years and that's only his tdf appearances.

I don't fault the doping. I fault the continual feigned surprise and lying. If you dig that....cool.

FlashUNC
09-03-2014, 08:41 PM

I was a Jacky Durand fan myself. Du Du knew what was up. Doubled down on my Du Du love last year when he kept it real.

The Tour of Flanders win was a thing of legend.

Du Du also handled his business in public the right way imo. His statement on his doping admission (https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/tour-de-france-jacky-durand-yes-epo-believe-104458275.html):

I don't want these cyclists to be discredited just because everyone from my generation was full of bull····.

Our sport is much cleaner now, I want people to understand that.

gianni
09-03-2014, 08:55 PM

We'll said and I couldn't agree more. I love his jovial personality but his deliberate ignorance for a rider of his background is inexcusable.

IMO, he should lay it all out there (everything) and let the public judge/forgive and then ride like ultraman said --hardman and retro.

bikinchris
09-03-2014, 10:25 PM
You're right. SO SO right. I don't even know why I went to SAM's. :mad:

That's it. We need to do a Group buy from Lance's mom on some Banana Bread.
I've eaten at the KFC she used to work at in east Plano when she worked there.....it was t so good, but I bet this Bread of hers is. :)

My wife makes that recipe every once in a while when I "mistakenly" let some bananas get too old. Addicting is a good word for it.

jtolive
09-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Clown or not, doper or not - he's at least reaching for the next goal. Plus he's an OG. Get'm Jens!!

Dale Alan
09-04-2014, 02:26 AM
Clown or not, doper or not - he's at least reaching for the next goal. Plus he's an OG. Get'm Jens!!

I agree,although I don't know what OG means. I like the guy,what is wrong with a smiling face ? I don't care that He is a little goofy,better than being some miserable prick ! At least he is POSITIVE,negative people suck !

Ozrider
09-04-2014, 03:03 AM
I say go for it, give it your best shot. Motivation for us Old Guys to go out and enjoy racing and attempt new challenges.

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Colnago Dream,

mcteague
09-04-2014, 06:41 AM
I like Jens. His claim to have never seen any signs of doping does make me:crap:
However, I always enjoy his interviews even when he is wiped out and pissed. The "Shut up legs" thing is getting a bit old but that is mostly a media thing. They love to latch onto catch phrases. He also seems to appreciate his fame late in his career.

Tim

Stephen2014
09-04-2014, 06:46 AM
I would like to see an Hour Governing Board, separate from the uci so riders can just get on with doing The Hour record and just ignore the uci as a pathetic irrelavance.

cash05458
09-04-2014, 07:21 AM
Jens...the guy who perfected the art of hiding your dope in the bushes about 50 k from the finish line...hence all the dumb breakaways...I have a coffee cup that says "Shut up Jens..."

oldpotatoe
09-04-2014, 09:51 AM
Pro sports worldwide and some amatuer sports were never clean, they will never be clean.

Fify

Locally Broncos Welker pops for Aderall(sp?) and he is SHOCKED...why somebody put that in his drink at the Kentuky Derby by golly.

What crappola...

CunegoFan
09-04-2014, 10:03 AM
I was a Jacky Durand fan myself. Du Du knew what was up. Doubled down on my Du Du love last year when he kept it real.

The Tour of Flanders win was a thing of legend.

Du Du also handled his business in public the right way imo. His statement on his doping admission (https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/tour-de-france-jacky-durand-yes-epo-believe-104458275.html):

I don't want these cyclists to be discredited just because everyone from my generation was full of bull····.

Our sport is much cleaner now, I want people to understand that.

Durand retired a decade ago. He did not make statements like that while he was still a pro. He did not make them right after he retired. He waited for a decade after retirement until samples from the 1998 Tour were retrospectively tested and he was indentified as an EPO user by the French Senate.

You don't know what Voigt will be saying in 2024.

alessandro
09-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Jens will crank it out on September 18th.

The Inner Ring nails it as usual:
"...the battling rider who goes up the road in the kind of move that would have Saint Jude The Apostle, patron of lost causes muttering “for f&*k’s sake”."

http://inrng.com/2014/09/jens-voigts-last-hour/

Vinci
09-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Put yourself in Jens' shoes.

He is finishing up a long career in cycling. He is still in strong riding form and if he's going to attempt anything to add to his cycling record, now is his last chance.

He wouldn't be able to do something like this in a year or maybe even in 6 months if he actually hangs up the bike, like he says he will be.

This is (comparatively) low-hanging fruit. If I were him, I would try for it too. Maybe he get's in the books while taking advantage of a rule change, maybe he fails entirely, but at least he didn't piss away his last bit of racing form by NOT racing.

bcroslin
09-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Jeez, I glanced at this thread when it was started a week ago and just popped back in to read 2 solid pages of screeds against Jens. Wow.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

Vinci
09-18-2014, 03:05 PM
He did it.

jerrym
09-18-2014, 05:13 PM
More power to Jens! He is great for cycling and creates interest in it. If he can break the record, new equipment or not, it's good for the sport.