PDA

View Full Version : Shifting options for Alfine internal hub

sjbraun
09-02-2014, 11:26 PM
My buddy is getting a Soma Wolverine. He's thinking an Alfine internal hub is what he needs for winter commuting in Sioux Falls. Other than the stock a
Alfine shifter, what options does he have?

He wants a road bike set up with drop bars.

-Steve, who doesn't need to ponder these choices, living in Tucson

miguel
09-02-2014, 11:28 PM
Shimano Brifter
Or jtek bar end

ORMojo
09-03-2014, 12:52 AM
Absolutely Shimano ST-S705 Alfine Di2. It is really a great improvement to set up an Alfine IGH with Di2, and, obviously, it further enhances the low-maintenance aspect.

d_douglas
09-03-2014, 01:44 AM
Di2 is very cool fo sure.

I use 8spd Alfine and it is bulletproof. I use it with a JTEK bar end shifter and I am totally impressed by its quality - it is as nice as dura ace. It shifts perfectly in my experience.

Funny thing, I am thinking of changing out my Alfine and going back to a conventional system. Maybe it is out of boredom, and maybe it is also the fact that the shifting is sluggish. It is perfectly accurate and works every time, but the sludge when you push off fr a stop sign or whatever is uninspiring.

The Alfine nerds at the bike shop say it's just part of the love for Alfine;) It impresses me, but doesn't inspire me....

Ken Robb
09-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Di2 is very cool fo sure.

but the sludge when you push off fr a stop sign or whatever is uninspiring.

The Alfine nerds at the bike shop say it's just part of the love for Alfine;) It impresses me, but doesn't inspire me....

What is "sludge" in this context?

d_douglas
09-03-2014, 11:01 AM
The sludge is a bit of give when you first load the pedals. Everything is tight, shifting is crisp and it does it every time. The Alfine gurus at my LBS said it was par for the course. The boutiquish shop that actually set it up for me agreed.

It is great for commuting, but yeah . . . . I couldn't imagine using Alfine off road.

Ken Robb
09-03-2014, 11:48 AM
Oh. My bikefriday has 3 speed Sachs hub and I haven't noticed anything like that but it must be a lot more challenging to squeeze 5 extra gears into similar space.

donevwil
09-03-2014, 11:49 AM
I've got an Alfine 11 with Versa VRS-11 (http://www.sussex.com.tw/versa.html)brifters. They work well, are of acceptable quality, but have a shift stroke that is a bit long for some. Jtek is apparently working on an 11 spd bar end, but currently only has 8 spd and below.

One thought on going Alfine 8 or 11 is the re-lubing process. Shimano radically simplified the process when they introduced the 11, it's simply a drain-fill-spin-drain-refill as opposed to disassembly and dunk, recommended fluid is $$$.

d_douglas
09-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Yeah, mine might be due for an overhaul, but it has been 'sludging' since day 01.

If I was loaded, I would buy 11spd Di2 Alfine for my commuter - it looks awesome!

donevwil
09-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Oh. My bikefriday has 3 speed Sachs hub and I haven't noticed anything like that but it must be a lot more challenging to squeeze 5 extra gears into similar space.

I saw a cutaway Rohloff at NAHBS a few years ago. Wow! Talk about a lot going on.

staggerwing
09-03-2014, 12:42 PM
I've got an Alfine 11 with Versa VRS-11 (http://www.sussex.com.tw/versa.html)brifters. They work well, are of acceptable quality, but have a shift stroke that is a bit long for some. Jtek is apparently working on an 11 spd bar end, but currently only has 8 spd and below.

One thought on going Alfine 8 or 11 is the re-lubing process. Shimano radically simplified the process when they introduced the 11, it's simply a drain-fill-spin-drain-refill as opposed to disassembly and dunk, recommended fluid is $$$.

The 11 is oil lubed while the 8 is grease, no?

I don't have any personal experience with either of the Shimano units, but my grease-lubed SRAM iMotion 9 IGH felt like it was filled with molasses on cold days; noticeably high drag and sluggish shifting. Things were fine over 60F. Following several online comments, I loaded about 30-40cc of ATF and all has been fine since. If the Shimano units are similar, I would certainly want the oil filled for cold weather use.

donevwil
09-03-2014, 01:01 PM
The 11 is oil lubed while the 8 is grease, no?

I don't have any personal experience with either of the Shimano units, but my grease-lubed SRAM iMotion 9 IGH felt like it was filled with molasses on cold days; noticeably high drag and sluggish shifting. Things were fine over 60F. Following several online comments, I loaded about 30-40cc of ATF and all has been fine since. If the Shimano units are similar, I would certainly want the oil filled for cold weather use.

I have no experience with IGHs other than the Alfine 11, but from the service instructions and videos I watched it appears the 8 is oil bath as well.

I made one boo-boo initially, waited too long to do my first service. Shimano recommends fluid change at 1000km which seemed like a lot so I forgot about it. I started having shifting and performance problems in addition to some very annoying noises so decided to do a service. It solved the problem and when I checked the odometer? 1200 miles.