PDA

View Full Version : School me on Lightweights...

FlashUNC
09-02-2014, 09:54 PM
After years of being a retrogrouch and an alloy snob, I'm debating saving my pennies and dipping my toe into the carbon wheel waters. And the consensus seems to be Lightweights are far and away the best.

So, Lightweight owners...for a heavier guy (fluctuating between 190-200, with goals closer to 175-180), am I insane for wanting carbon tubes in a hillier area? I'm not crazy enough to want carbon clinchers, especially in this terrain.

Are the standard Milenstein's the way to go? Or whatever the other climbing wheel is the impenetrable name...Gripfleafjefa,mnsfalfkj.

And glowing glossy bike mag reviews aside, what are these things like to live with on a daily basis? Brake noise? Wheel maintenance? Warranty issues? Etc etc. I'd be paring back the wheel collection as part of getting a set, so they'd need to be something I could use more than just for the rare Sunday ride to grandma's house. Oh, and I'm learning East Bay roads are crap. So are they tough as they say?

What say you?

aramis
09-02-2014, 11:55 PM
I have a set of carbon wheels and won't use them just for riding around since it's so hilly. The pads wear stupid fast, the braking sucks and the benefit is so small it's not worth dealing with. I'd consider a set with aluminum brake tracks but right now I just use regular wheels for group rides and solo rides.

jtakeda
09-03-2014, 12:08 AM
After years of being a retrogrouch and an alloy snob, I'm debating saving my pennies and dipping my toe into the carbon wheel waters. And the consensus seems to be Lightweights are far and away the best.

So, Lightweight owners...for a heavier guy (fluctuating between 190-200, with goals closer to 175-180), am I insane for wanting carbon tubes in a hillier area? I'm not crazy enough to want carbon clinchers, especially in this terrain.

Are the standard Milenstein's the way to go? Or whatever the other climbing wheel is the impenetrable name...Gripfleafjefa,mnsfalfkj.

And glowing glossy bike mag reviews aside, what are these things like to live with on a daily basis? Brake noise? Wheel maintenance? Warranty issues? Etc etc. I'd be paring back the wheel collection as part of getting a set, so they'd need to be something I could use more than just for the rare Sunday ride to grandma's house. Oh, and I'm learning East Bay roads are crap. So are they tough as they say?

What say you?

No comments on the wheels themselves.

I wouldn't worry too much about the wheels not being able to handle the east bay roads.

East Bay roads are not that bad and I'm sure any decent wheel can handle them. The maintenance issues and braking performance is more what I would focus on.

SF roads on the other hand, :help:

Johnnyg
09-03-2014, 07:07 AM
I have been riding LW for three years. Get a pair you will never regret it. Stiff and strong. Clearly the best out there if you have the $. Enjoy

shovelhd
09-03-2014, 07:25 AM
I ride only carbon wheels, although they are not Lightweight. Braking performance is good to excellent in all conditions. Brake blocks could last two seasons but I change them every season anyway. There is no reason to accept poor braking performance and longevity. It's all about getting the right combination.

Lionel
09-03-2014, 07:28 AM
Best is relative. They are very light and stiff, very good for climbing. But braking is average and carbon spokes cannot be repaired....

Overall I prefer my Bora that have better hubs, steel spokes and better braking performance. They also maintain speed better.

LW also make almost any bike look good :) Did I mention expensive ?

djg
09-03-2014, 07:47 AM
Never had a set of LWs.

Seems like that's dipping more than a toe in the carbon waters. Unless you've got really big toes.

Likes2ridefar
09-03-2014, 08:13 AM
they look neat and don't weigh that much.

I've ridden two models, i forget what they were. the climbing version and 40ish mm version. i'd be pissed if i used my own $ on them.

i'd buy three pairs of something else in various depths instead.

redir
09-03-2014, 08:38 AM
Lightweights are to bling and expensive for me but I do have carbon wheels. I use the yellow Swiss Stop pads and rotate between carbon and AL regularly and have no issues at all with braking. It's worse with carbon when it's wet out but still it's not much of a problem and I have plenty of miles on those pads. And yeah if you are going to buy wheels that cost a down payment on a house definitely get tubulars :D

wooly
09-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Hey Flash, I've had a couple of sets over the years and eventually sell them because I tire of tubular tire worry fatigue. But that's a different issue. LWs are beautiful wheels and ride nicely. They are light and accelerate really well due their stiffness. Slap some nice 25 tires on them and I don't think you'd have to worry about durability. If you're worried about your weight stay away from the 12 spoke front rim and go with 16 or even 20 with very little weight penalty. As for not being able to true them, I've not read about anyone needing a repair due to normal riding - only due to a crash. There's a crash replacement warranty you can buy which I'd get too. Good luck.

StephenCL
09-03-2014, 11:24 AM
If you are a campy guy, go Bora. Lionel nailed the differences. I will confirm them. The LW's are beautiful, they are extremely well made. However, i get really worried about riding them in all conditions. They dont brake nearly as well as the new bora's, and you are talking about a 100 gram diffence in overall weight.

Again, if you are running campy, save yourself $1,000 and buy the 2015 boras

Stephen

holliscx
09-03-2014, 11:29 AM
I've seen LWs on a cx pit bike just saying

StephenCL
09-03-2014, 11:50 AM
I've seen LWs on a cx pit bike just saying

I agree. I think they are really well built...but if you break a spoke, you are down at least 2k without the warranty.

Warm regards,

Stephen

beeatnik
09-03-2014, 12:07 PM

Would you use an Aston Martin as your sole car and daily driver if you had to finance it and live in an apartment?

One of my pals owns 3 sets of nice carbon wheels, Lightweights Gen 3 (tubular), Bora Ultra 2 (tubular) and Hyperon Ultra 2 (clincher). He popped a spoke on his rear Hyperon during our ride Sunday; hardly flinched. The cat only has time to ride on weekends, doesn't race so he's got enough super spensive wheelsets to keep riding until the Hyperons are repaired/warrantied.

Forgot to add...between the LWs and Boras, my buddy would choose the Lightweights every day til Sunday (Boras are the beater set). He actually has two LWs cos he, um, got a deal and great warranty service at Pista Palace.

http://www.pistapalace.com/
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5590/14943234968_dc2754d771_o.jpg

Had to ride the Boras cos new tires were glued to the LWs:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3920/14943161470_a5311080be_c.jpg

FlashUNC
09-03-2014, 12:19 PM
Would you use an Aston Martin as your sole car and daily driver if you had to finance it and live in an apartment?

One of my pals owns 3 sets of nice carbon wheels, Lightweights Gen 3 (tubular), Bora Ultra 2 (tubular) and Hyperon Ultra 2 (clincher). He popped a spoke on his rear Hyperon during our ride Sunday; hardly flinched. The cat only has time to ride on weekends, doesn't race so he's got enough super spensive wheelsets to keep riding until the Hyperons are repaired/warrantied.

To be clear, these wouldn't be my only wheels. But when I'm sitting on 4 sets of wheels for two bikes currently, I can shed a few, put a carbon pair into the rotation and not be hurting all that much.

beeatnik
09-03-2014, 12:24 PM
To be clear, these wouldn't be my only wheels. But when I'm sitting on 4 sets of wheels for two bikes currently, I can shed a few, put a carbon pair into the rotation and not be hurting all that much.

Well, if cost is not a primary consideration, get em. You'll love them.

FlashUNC
09-03-2014, 12:58 PM
Well, if cost is not a primary consideration, get em. You'll love them.

Also, per your earlier post, I'd totally be the Aston Martin guy living on ramen. I'd be okay with that if I got a magical Aston to drive every day.

:banana:

denapista
09-03-2014, 01:05 PM
I've never ridden Lightweight wheels, but was a paypal button away from a set of GENIII tubulars. To be honest, I would save a load of cash and just get a nice custom set of enve hoops. I've built Enve Tubular to Tune hubs, and they've come under 1000g for the build. Enve braking is pretty damn good for a Carbon hoop and they're stiff. That being said, people I know who ride LW wheels rave about the stiffness. I'm not sure how on par Carbonsports is with the rest of the new Carbon rims (Reynolds and Enve) in terms of braking technology and aero benefits. If I had the cash and had to choose between LW or Enve, I would go enve. Simply for the local customer service and standard spokes.

Likes2ridefar
09-03-2014, 01:10 PM
I probably should've mentioned they handle terrible in the wind. Probably due to that nice, narrow V shape they have coupled with those fancy spokes..

herb5998
09-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Ride some LWs if you can before you buy. I am a bigger buy and have the 20 spoke version, plenty stiff, especially accelerating out of turns. Braking performance is not the best out of carbon wheels, but good pads and getting to know how they brake mitigates that.

djg
09-03-2014, 03:38 PM
So, if this is really dipping your toe into the carbon waters, maybe start with something that's good but less expensive and pretty versatile? A used set of Enve or Zipp or Boras or HED or what have you in good shape, maybe not too shallow and not too deep, and then ride them for a few months and figure out what, if anything, you want to be different in your very fabulous cost-be-dammed wheels?

FlashUNC
09-03-2014, 03:49 PM
So, if this is really dipping your toe into the carbon waters, maybe start with something that's good but less expensive and pretty versatile? A used set of Enve or Zipp or Boras or HED or what have you in good shape, maybe not too shallow and not too deep, and then ride them for a few months and figure out what, if anything, you want to be different in your very fabulous cost-be-dammed wheels?

That's very likely in the cards. Though I figure if I'm scouring for used anyways, why not keep Lightweights in the cards? Figured I'd go to the source on them since I see far more reviews of the other wheels out there, mostly since they are an order or two of magnitude cheaper.

velomonkey
09-04-2014, 06:35 AM
I don't have LWs - but I did have Mavic Cosmic Ultimate tubular which is very similar and now have ENVE 3.4 clincher.

First, the wheel and spokes are gonna be fine. I'm 6'3" 200 and had no issue with Mavic and the LWs have to be just as stiff if not more so. Second, braking sucks and is nearly worthless is crap weather - you learn to deal with the suck though. I guess it's all relative.

Get them you will love them.

maverick_1
09-04-2014, 07:51 AM
Had numerous wheelsets, namely Bora Ultra, Hyperon Ultra two clinchers, both the Enve 45 and 65mm, both Reynolds RZR46 and RZR Team46, and a pair of LW Std Gen3.
Sold all except the Gen3, and bought 3 more pairs of LW instead. Probably drank too much of Carbonsports' cool aid lol..
Carbonsports' sales support is nothing short of exemplary.

Zero issues with the braking, as long as you use Carbonsports' supplied pads (made by Swissstops)
LW wheels has gone thru several iterations in the construction of the brake surface and the current model (Gen4) is as good as it gets.
Attached are the comparison between the various makes and its braking results. Note that the data is of the higher profile, LW Fernweg and various aero wheelsets above 60mm. Results were taken from the Germany's Tour magazine.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5571/14950808357_8c47e27d65_b.jpg

jblande
09-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Read the German cycling magazines for a while (I lived there for 6 years) and you will notice one thing: the German companies always come out on top.

How many times have these magazines given bike of the year to a company like Stevens or Cube?

maverick_1
09-04-2014, 09:09 AM
@jblande,

The data shows that LW has the best wet braking compared to other makes, however they don't have the best performance in dry, or hot conditions.
Nonetheless, this data is merely to share with fellow Paceliners that there shouldn't be a concern with LW overall braking performance.

And yes, I agree and understood on your take regarding German bike magazines giving top scores to German brands especially on frame testing etc :)

Cheers.

oldpotatoe
09-04-2014, 09:28 AM
and bought 3 more pairs of LW ]

Yikes...3 pair?

djg
09-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Yikes...3 pair?

If you spend more than 15,000 bucks they throw in a pair of tires and two tubes of mastik.

beeatnik
09-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Yikes...3 pair?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wALArd2rvo

aramis
09-06-2014, 04:32 PM

Feel bad he only wants to ride 2 days a week. Thing I kind of love about cycling is some people go nuts about the equipment, but it doesn't matter much once you get ok stuff. People were going nuts over 1100gr wheel sets a few years ago, but it turns out the light stuff is slower sometimes. People are super concerned about wheels, but a different kit might make way more difference in speed.

Vamoots58
09-06-2014, 07:20 PM
of buying my first set of LW's for the last couple of weeks. Had just about decided on going forward, then had a fairly long chat with a retailer who has all but talked me out of them. I know his shops online product reviews are extremely well thought of and have often seen them held out as among the best. He said he felt that while they are undoubtedly an phenomenally well are product, they have been overtaken by others for overall use. He suggested that if I am looking primarily a climbing wheel, the LW's will not disappoint. "In the hands they feel unreal. On paper, they are without peer, and on a big climb, the weight and stiffness are unbeatable." On longer rides he said they become uncomfortable given the stiffness. He also felt that having ridden them extensively, they are sometimes "terrifying" on decants and despite the reduction in depth to 47.5mm, they are not in the same league with newer 'blunt' rims in terms of handling the wind. Not trying to flame the LW's, I may well still go that way myself, but I am now deciding between them and the '15 Bora Ultra's. Assuming you (OP) act faster than I, looking forward to hearing your impressions on your new acquisition!!

maverick_1
09-06-2014, 07:35 PM
LW wheels were never top on the aero charts, wind tunnel tests has proven countless of times that Zipp wheels are still the benchmark with the least amount if drag compared to all other makes, not sure about Enve's Smart wheels though.

The '15 Campagnolo Bora seems promising, from Campy's take it's a stiffer wheelset with better aero properties.

Cheers

laupsi
09-06-2014, 08:44 PM
He also felt that having ridden them extensively, they are sometimes "terrifying" on decants and despite the reduction in depth to 47.5mm, they are not in the same league with newer 'blunt' rims in terms of handling the wind. Not trying to flame the LW's, I may well still go that way myself, but I am now deciding between them and the '15 Bora Ultra's. Assuming you (OP) act faster than I, looking forward to hearing your impressions on your new acquisition!!

disagree on the downhill opinion of the LW's. My opinion, by far the very best wheel out there for going fast down hills. Their stiffness is uncompromising and this in turn lends to their tremendous ability to track and hold tight to screaming fast descents. As for the wind factor a few rides is all it takes to gain the experience necessary to feel comfortable and in control in a cross wind. Like most things, they become pretty predicatable w/some use.

Peter B
09-06-2014, 08:53 PM
after years of being a retrogrouch and an alloy snob, i'm debating saving my pennies and dipping my toe into the carbon wheel waters. And the consensus seems to be lightweights are far and away the best.

So, lightweight owners...for a heavier guy (fluctuating between 190-200, with goals closer to 175-180), am i insane for wanting carbon tubes in a hillier area? I'm not crazy enough to want carbon clinchers, especially in this terrain.

Are the standard milenstein's the way to go? Or whatever the other climbing wheel is the impenetrable name...gripfleafjefa,mnsfalfkj.
And glowing glossy bike mag reviews aside, what are these things like to live with on a daily basis? Brake noise? Wheel maintenance? Warranty issues? Etc
etc. I'd be paring back the wheel collection as part of getting a set, so they'd
need to be something i could use more than just for the rare sunday ride to
grandma's house. Oh, and i'm learning east bay roads are crap. So are they
tough as they say?

What say you?

i have a mint pair of lw gen 1 yellow spokes tune hubs fckuin bitchen holy moley let go fcuken go for a fast ride ···· why not boy howdy...pics on demand---joy on demend tooooo=

Vamoots58
09-06-2014, 09:22 PM
it is amazing how quickly we adapt to our equipment. The very definition of a high class problem, but really agonizing over this decision!

disagree on the downhill opion of the LW's. My opinion, by far the very best wheel out there for going fast down hills. Their stiffness is uncompromising and this in turn lends to their tremendous ability to track and hold tight to screaming fast descents. As for the wind factor a few rides is all it takes to gain the experience necessary to feel comfortable and in control in a cross wind. Like most things, they become pretty predicatable w/some use.

maverick_1
09-06-2014, 09:44 PM
I certainly won't be paying for five pairs if there's a problem going downhill.
Ventoux is stored somewhere in the room.

My oldest pair being the venerable Std Gen3 tubulars (mounted on the Serotta as seen in the pic) has been with me since 2008. It's my daily rider.. Still as perfect as day one.

Cheers

[pic deleted]

jtakeda
09-06-2014, 09:50 PM
That Colnago is the bees knees.

FlashUNC
09-15-2014, 02:42 PM
Just an update for folks here. After some lengthy discussions with some fellow Paceliners (and a very public thank you to those who put up with my inane questions off-forum), ended up snagging enr1co's set of Hyperon Ultras yesterday over some coffee and conversation.

Lightweights are still on my radar, but dipping the proverbial toe into the water elsewhere for now. Keeps with my latent snobbery for all things from Vicenza I suppose.

alessandro
09-15-2014, 03:41 PM
Borrowing from other people on the internet: Why do $5K wheels come with a font that's a) free, and b) Zapf Chancery?

thegunner
09-15-2014, 03:43 PM
i have a mint pair of lw gen 1 yellow spokes tune hubs fckuin bitchen holy moley let go fcuken go for a fast ride ···· why not boy howdy...pics on demand---joy on demend tooooo=

this is the greatest endorsement any wheel's ever seen.

one60
09-15-2014, 05:57 PM
there is a set of LWs for sale on Craigslist Seattle.

too rich for me but maybe good for the curious?? no clue if this is a decent deal, no relation, etc

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/bop/4643277856.html

carlineng
09-15-2014, 06:17 PM
There was a thread about Lightweights over on Weightweenies awhile back. Worth reading through for some edu-ma-cashuns: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=124355

Sneak preview:

http://imgur.com/IWmjE4P.jpg

jimoots
09-15-2014, 08:25 PM
That's durianrider/harley. He's a professional troll.

Him and his partner (freelee banana crusader or whatever) are cashed up via YouTube and he'll do anything to generate discussion/awareness/views.

I.e. dropping a bomb on some lightweights for lols makes sense to him.

And p.s. his commute is from his bed to the room in which he houses his computer. He might run a few errands on his bike here and there and does rack up a lot of k's just riding around, but he doesn't go to/from the office everyday on those wheels.