PDA

View Full Version : I really like Orange Seal ... better than Stans.

FastforaSlowGuy
09-02-2014, 10:16 AM
This year was the first time I started "pre-treating" all my road wheels (tubie and clincher) with a bit of sealant. I was happily using Stans, with good results the one time I did flat (lost about 50% of the pressure before it sealed up, so just a quick top-off and I was back riding).

After reading OldPotato's thoughts on Orange Seal, I thought "what the heck, I'll give it a try." Super awesome stuff. Mostly I notice that it doesn't clog my presta valve as much. With Stans, I needed a couple good pumps to clear the valve, and it always made me a bit nervous whether I could do the same with a minipump on the road. Orange has a little bit of the same problem, but it takes much less force to clear the valve. I guess it's possible that this means it won't seal a leak as well, but on the test I did in my garage (old tire + small nail), it worked fine.

Idris Icabod
09-02-2014, 10:22 AM
A buddy switched on his mountain bike after buying Continental tyres that looked like they had mated on the side wall with a hedgehog. Stans wasn't sealing them but he got the orange seal and plugged all the holes no problem. I'll probably switch based on his experience once I deplete my current Stan's bottle.

He told me that Stan's reformulated to remove ammonia, not sure that it is true but the newer stuff isn't as good as original stans.

oldpotatoe
09-02-2014, 11:33 AM
A buddy switched on his mountain bike after buying Continental tyres that looked like they had mated on the side wall with a hedgehog. Stans wasn't sealing them but he got the orange seal and plugged all the holes no problem. I'll probably switch based on his experience once I deplete my current Stan's bottle.

He told me that Stan's reformulated to remove ammonia, not sure that it is true but the newer stuff isn't as good as original stans.

They make some really good valves and tape for tubeless. The base of the valve is cut so that it works on more rims.

CunegoFan
09-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Stan's has been reformulated several times. I heard the original stuff used corn meal for chunkies.

It sounds like "Stan's Classic" needs to be brought to market.

tylerbick
09-04-2014, 10:14 PM
We've also been using Orange Seal in our shop as the default sealant since early in the season with great success. I'm a believer.

r1lee
09-05-2014, 06:04 AM
I found this review to be very helpful. I use the bontrager sealant. Orange seal is just as good.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Sealant_Test_-_Part_2_4155.html

Kirk Pacenti
09-05-2014, 06:35 AM
Agreed, Orange Seal is quickly becoming the preferred sealant around here. It works really, really well.

Cheers,
KP

Mikej
09-05-2014, 07:56 AM
I heard that Stans had to remove the ammonia as instructed by the EPA due to the volume of product it sells. If orange peel gets more popular and increases production, they may need to adhere to more stringent rules enforced by the EPA. I guess it has to due with contaminating the woods or something. Thanks again gubment.

buldogge
09-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Umm…Pretty sure they removed the ammonia years ago (or almost removed it) because it was eating up people's equipment (i.e. AL rims)!

I'm trying Orange Seal on the last set of tubs I mounted…just 'cuz.

-Mark in St. Louis

I heard that Stans had to remove the ammonia as instructed by the EPA due to the volume of product it sells. If orange peel gets more popular and increases production, they may need to adhere to more stringent rules enforced by the EPA. I guess it has to due with contaminating the woods or something. Thanks again gubment.

batman1425
09-05-2014, 08:55 AM
What has been folks experience with sealants in a regular butyl tubes used with standard clinchers? I've thought about this for a little extra flat protection but not sure how much good it would do.

lonoeightysix
09-05-2014, 08:58 AM
How much cleanup is necessary before making the switch to orange?

velomonkey
09-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Quick question - going to ride my first set of road tubeless tires next week. Based on this thread I am going to use Orange Seal.

Can someone quickly tell me how much Orange to pretreat the tubeless tire with? Is it the full 8oz bottle - or what have you done in the past and found to work.

Thanks!!!

oldpotatoe
09-05-2014, 09:28 AM
Quick question - going to ride my first set of road tubeless tires next week. Based on this thread I am going to use Orange Seal.

Can someone quickly tell me how much Orange to pretreat the tubeless tire with? Is it the full 8oz bottle - or what have you done in the past and found to work.

Thanks!!!

Couple of ounces is all...depending on size of tire..2-3 Oz..NOT the full bottle.

Mikej
09-05-2014, 09:39 AM
Umm…Pretty sure they removed the ammonia years ago (or almost removed it) because it was eating up people's equipment (i.e. AL rims)!

I'm trying Orange Seal on the last set of tubs I mounted…just 'cuz.

-Mark in St. Louis

Ammonia evaporates through the tire case into the atmosphere, the EPA has "rules" for this.
Water will corrode your rims on the inside.

Davist
09-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Been having flats too often for my taste with my Archetype/Ultremo 28s. I was on my way to buy orange seal, and the LBS was closed, so I went to walmart (wanted to buy some other stuff) and bought the "slime pro" tubes which have worked well so far (~400mile plus some gravel roads). Amazed they had presta valve anything at walmart.. Anyone else had experience with these?

The slime "scabs" patches seem to work a little better for me than the park ones as well.

cripe. I sound like a shill, sorry..

malcolm
09-05-2014, 09:47 AM

Thanks!!!

I use 2-4 ounces in a tubless mtn bike tire

FastforaSlowGuy
09-05-2014, 11:14 AM
Ammonia evaporates through the tire case into the atmosphere, the EPA has "rules" for this.
Water will corrode your rims on the inside.

The ammonia was pulled out because it's bad for your wheels, not because of EPA air rules. Orange Seal doesn't use ammonia either, for the same reason (actually, a lot of the newer sealants don't use it). You'd have to roll some pretty big rims to turn your bike into a point source emitter of ammonia, so it ain't the EPA slowing your roll this time (sorry for the pun, but it was just too fun).

TimAZ
09-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Orange Seal cleans up easier than Stans after it's been sitting in a tubeless wheel for a long period of time.

malcolm
09-06-2014, 08:27 AM
I have a thread drift question. Do you periodically clean out and reapply sealant? Say if your tires are fine no punctures and doing well holding air, at some point do you break them down, clean and reapply. I've had the same sealant in my mtn bike tires for approaching a year and over the course of a week they've only leaked down a couple pounds at the most. Just keep going until there is a problem or is there a maintenance period?

oldpotatoe
09-06-2014, 08:29 AM
I have a thread drift question. Do you periodically clean out and reapply sealant? Say if your tires are fine no punctures and doing well holding air, at some point do you break them down, clean and reapply. I've had the same sealant in my mtn bike tires for approaching a year and over the course of a week they've only leaked down a couple pounds at the most. Just keep going until there is a problem or is there a maintenance period?

Depends on the sealant type. Stans has a tendency to grow a lufa sponge looking thing in there...But if they are working, leave alone...IMHO

malcolm
09-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Depends on the sealant type. Stans has a tendency to grow a lufa sponge looking thing in there...But if they are working, leave alone...IMHO

Thx. that was my thoughts as well.