PDA

View Full Version : Your Ritchey Break-Away Thoughts, Please

bikingshearer
09-01-2014, 10:07 PM
I am seriously thinking about getting a Ritchey Break-Away frame to make it easier (make that popssible) to bring a bike along on upcoming trips. I have two main areas I'd like to hear feedback about:

(1) How does it ride compared to your regular bikes; and

(2) I'm a big boy - 6'3" abnd 270lbs - and would be riding a 60cm, the biggest Ritchey makes. That's a little small (I'm usually on 62-64cm) but doable for my purposes with a long seat post and the right stem set-up. Am I just too big, weight-wise, for a Break-Away? All my regular bikes are steel, including 531, SLX, and mysterious mixes chosen by the maestros who made them, and I have no problems with them.

Any thoughts or experiences you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

weisan
09-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Shearer-pal, I might be able to answer question (1) as my custom-built Taylor comes with breakaway coupling. I can tell you the coupling does not affect the ride negatively one bit...in fact, it's invisible, meaning it really does not affect the ride one way or the other. You won't feel the difference. Now having said that, I ride a 54-56 size bike. You are a giant by my standard. I am not sure how that plays out. So to the no2 question, my advice is to email ritchey and ask them directly the same questions you posed here. If my recent positive experience with their customer service is any indication, I think they will be upfront with you.

I love the convenience of the coupling for traveling, that's why I got it build into my bike. But I actually broke it down only once to fly to the d2r2 event from Texas. The other times when I flew with it, it was in a AirCaddy with requires minimal breakdown so I just kept the frame all together.

Ritchey customer line: rd_info_line@ritcheylogic.com

Kirk007
09-01-2014, 11:11 PM
An S&S coupled bike I'd say is fine. When I was considering travel bikes, it was one knowledgable persons opinion, that the coupling mechanism on the Ritchey wasn't as robust and could prove to be problematic. Now that was years ago and obviously the design is still in production so his opinion may not be panning out. I think you need to ride one if you can to see if you can make the fitting work and how it feels underneath you.

I've had a couple S&S coupled bikes though and they are great.

Finally, if you are looking at all options, I should mention Bike Friday. The good: cool company, good product, easy to travel with, really nice as a casual bike. I had a pocket pro though, and at 6 3 I couldn't get comfortable with it on really big climbs and descents. Putting big guys at top of a long seat tube over top little wheels - well - it wasn't my cup of tea.

Louis
09-01-2014, 11:14 PM
How about putting some S & S couplers on one of your current bikes?

Edit: I see Kirk beat me to it.

Ken Robb
09-01-2014, 11:21 PM
bike friday?

witcombusa
09-02-2014, 04:38 AM
I ride a 60cm Ritchey BA Cross. It rides fantastic, just like any non coupled bike would!

I do not believe your weight would be any problem for the frameset. Just don't be fitting her up with lightweight components built for a 160# rider :eek:

Great do all bike and travelling companion. No worries

thwart
09-02-2014, 08:31 AM
I don't know about the 270 lbs part… that'll stress most frames, probably.

But my Breakaway rides just as well as most of the bikes I own. Since that's the case, I keep it built up and use it for local rides when I want a triple drivetrain.

oldpotatoe
09-02-2014, 08:38 AM
I am seriously thinking about getting a Ritchey Break-Away frame to make it easier (make that popssible) to bring a bike along on upcoming trips. I have two main areas I'd like to hear feedback about:

(2) I'm a big boy - 6'3" abnd 270lbs - and would be riding a 60cm, the biggest Ritchey makes. That's a little small (I'm usually on 62-64cm) but doable for my purposes with a long seat post and the right stem set-up. Am I just too big, weight-wise, for a Break-Away? All my regular bikes are steel, including 531, SLX, and mysterious mixes chosen by the maestros who made them, and I have no problems with them.

1) rides like a nice steel or Ti frame..you don't even know it's a break-apart frame. I rode a borrowed one on a trip to SF..rode it 3 days and really loved it. No noise, no loosening, and I'm .1 off ton.

2) just don't know but give Ritchey a call and ask..

http://ritcheylogic.com/content/about-us/contact-us

old fat man
09-02-2014, 09:05 AM
Very happy with mine (60cm cross version like Whitcomb's). I don't baby it, though I do often put a baby in the child seat :)

It's a great riding, diverse frameset. I'm 180, but with my 35lb son and his seat and rack, I'd guess we're into the 225+ range. Never any problems. They are so affordable compared to a retro-fit or a new coupled bike too.

tiretrax
09-02-2014, 09:12 AM
I test rode one back to back with a S&S coupled bike years ago and, although I'm not quite as big as you (6'@", 210 lbs), it felt too flexy to me. I will buy or convert a bike to S&S at some point.

RonW87
09-02-2014, 09:22 AM
6'3" tall and 165lbs. I've used my 60cm breakaway road bike on a bunch of trips.

The good: Never been dinged for bike fees on airlines. Feels comfortable and like a "normal" bike.

The less good: Still takes me a while to break it down and built it up each time; probably a good hour. (However, not sure it would be that much longer than breaking down or building up a normal bike for travel.) And I echo the above poster; even under my 165lbs. the bike feels flexy compared to my other bikes, whether carbon, steel or alu (but not enough to be a deal-breaker). I fear that, given the OP's weight, it might not work.

I hate paying the bike fees when I travel so the breakaway still beats bringing a regular bike. The issue is whether it beats renting a bike at the destination. For me, yes, but less of a slam dunk.

Ron

dawgie
09-02-2014, 09:42 AM
I've got a Ritchey BA Cross in size 58 and haven't noticed any flex at all. I weigh about 170 lbs. I love this bike. It is extremely versatile and rides really nice. I've used mine for commuting, light touring and trail riding. I haven't broken it down for travel/transport and not looking forward to it, but that could be an issue with any travel bike.

My frame was a little creaky at first but not after my LBS made some adjustments. The cable splitters used to rattle against the frame, so I surrounded them with plastic tubing and that solved the problem. Last time I rode it on a trail, the cable splitter along the top tube came disconnected while riding and I was lucky that the cables didn't get tangled in wheels, chain or derailleurs. It was a simple matter to reconnect it, but I will start checking that in the future before riding.

spacemen3
09-02-2014, 10:15 AM
I've been really pleased with mine. No creaking and it rides nicely. I don't even notice that it's a travel bike.

rugbysecondrow
09-02-2014, 10:48 AM

I had the bike when I was a bit bigger (235#) and I am 6'2" and it was convenient, but I opted for a Surly Travelers Check instead. Frankly, I didn't like the geometry of the larger frame as it seemed to make compromises for the purpose of getting it to fit in the case. It just never felt right for me. I don't remember exactly what those are now as I am going off of recollection. I had no issue with the system feeling less stable, but I didn't care for the way the frame ends met and could easily chip or ding one another. That is more of a preference issue.

We have three S and S bikes in the home now, I like the contact points are the couplers and there is no paint to ding or dent. Granted, this is a travel bike, so it will get damage to some degree, but it should be minimized.

Anyway, for the money, I like the Travelers Check. It is built on the CrossCheck platform, which is a proven and great tool.

Cheers!

Paul

Ken Robb
09-02-2014, 10:59 AM
I've been really pleased with mine. No creaking and it rides nicely. I don't even notice that it's a travel bike.

Nice house. Custom or remodeled from something else?

spacemen3
09-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Nice house. Custom or remodeled from something else?
It's actually my neighbor's house. I believe it was designed by Don Polsky, an apprentice of Richard Neutra.

witcombusa
09-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Based on what I'm reading here, I'm wondering if the "road" BA uses a lighter tubeset than the "cross" model. I'm no lightweight and this thing is not whippy at all.(cross model)

If this is the case, the OP may want to consider the cross model. Ritchey should be able to answer the tubeset and weight restriction issues.

dvancleve
09-02-2014, 12:42 PM
They are very well priced and seem to be well working well for a lot of people. That said, frame builder Bob Brown has done at least one retrofit of an S&S connector into the downtube of a Breakaway frame. He said, "I put the frame on my alignment table before I cut it up, just to measure the delfection. This frame had the most headtube deflection of any frame I've measured, almost double that of the next flexiest frame I've found. It's like the downtube isn't even there." This was along time ago (2005), and it's possible they're different than they were then. Just another data point I suppose. Since reading that, I've wondered if it would make sense to have a Breakaway connector in the seat tube and an S&S connector in the downtube, if one was having a travel frame built. I assume it would save a significant chunk of money compared to S&S connectors...

Doug

thwart
09-02-2014, 02:30 PM
They are very well priced and seem to be well working well for a lot of people. That said, frame builder Bob Brown has done at least one retrofit of an S&S connector into the downtube of a Breakaway frame. He said, "I put the frame on my alignment table before I cut it up, just to measure the delfection. This frame had the most headtube deflection of any frame I've measured, almost double that of the next flexiest frame I've found. It's like the downtube isn't even there." This was along time ago (2005), and it's possible they're different than they were then. Just another data point I suppose. Since reading that, I've wondered if it would make sense to have a Breakaway connector in the seat tube and an S&S connector in the downtube, if one was having a travel frame built. I assume it would save a significant chunk of money compared to S&S connectors...

Doug

Having multiple folks (who aren't cycling newbies) think that Breakaways are very similar to other higher end bikes they ride, and not super-flexy, makes me think that perhaps the frame in question had a well-used, stretched coupler at the down tube/bottom bracket junction. They are a wear item, and occasionally need to be replaced.

Mine's as stiff as any other bike I ride. No FD rub when climbing hard out of the saddle, no issues with high speed descents, etc...

bikingshearer
09-02-2014, 02:42 PM
Thanks for all the excellent feedback, folks. Some great thoughts and suggestions in here. Not that I'm surprised, mind you . . . . :rolleyes:

I also read some older threads about BreakAways, but there is stuff here that wasn't mentioned in them.

I'll check with Ritchey, as suggested, but it sounds as if the BA should work for me. None of my frames were built specifically for me, and they all work well and have held up under me, so I suspect the BA will work for me as well.

Again, many thanks for the responses. This is a great forum.

zap
09-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Having multiple folks (who aren't cycling newbies) think that Breakaways are very similar to other higher end bikes they ride, and not super-flexy, makes me think that perhaps the frame in question had a well-used, stretched coupler at the down tube/bottom bracket junction. They are a wear item, and occasionally need to be replaced.

Good buddy of mine that I've ridden with for 25+ years and has raced did not complain about frame flex……..and he's built like a rugby player.

Anyone have a Breakaway Ti cross? Observations?

mistermo
09-02-2014, 03:25 PM
...This frame had the most headtube deflection of any frame I've measured, almost double that of the next flexiest frame I've found. It's like the downtube isn't even there.

Was the other frame a Slingshot?

rugbysecondrow
09-02-2014, 03:35 PM
If I were in the market, and the geometry worked, I would look here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gunner-Roadie-Travel-Race-Bike-S-S-Coupler-Campagnolo-Chorus-11-Speed-Groupset-/181513852093?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item2a431194bd

Not a bad deal

bikingshearer
09-03-2014, 11:30 AM
If I were in the market, and the geometry worked, I would look here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gunner-Roadie-Travel-Race-Bike-S-S-Coupler-Campagnolo-Chorus-11-Speed-Groupset-/181513852093?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item2a431194bd

Not a bad deal

Not a bad deal at all, but it's not for me. 58cm is too small for me and I have just about everything I would need to build up a frame/fork, so this deal will have to go to somebody else.

Maybe you, rugbysecondrow . . . . ? ;)

Don49
09-03-2014, 12:41 PM
One thing that gives me pause about the Breakaway is can it ever be fitted into an airline legal (<62") travel box? I think because of where the tubes split it won't fit into an S&S suitcase. For that reason alone I'd probably go with S&S couplings.

zennmotion
09-03-2014, 01:49 PM
One thing that gives me pause about the Breakaway is can it ever be fitted into an airline legal (<62") travel box? I think because of where the tubes split it won't fit into an S&S suitcase. For that reason alone I'd probably go with S&S couplings.

I've fit my 56cm BA cross in an S&S case when I was considering a new case after more than 25 round trips the original case is showing some wear but I took it to a local leather repair guy who fixed the wear points, so it's got quite a lot of life left in it. Although most of my trips have been international, the same size rules apply and the only time I was challenged was when I had my helmet tied to the outside of my carry-on bag and the agent asked if I had a bike. The issue was the contents of the case and they never argued about the dimensions. After a brief conversation with a supervisor, where I showed my printed copy of the rules from the web page, they accepted it without charge. I figure that the case has passed muster with more than 70 check-in agents without a problem. I travel economy, no perks, and fly to developing countries where it seems lots of passengers try to take all kinds of oversize/overweight baggage (e.g. going home to Ghana with bags full of stuff for the relatives that's expensive at home) So they are often extra vigilant on those flights because everybody is traveling heavy. The Ritchey case is easier to pack than the S&S, but either will work for a Ritchey bike-at least a 56 or 58cm, I have no idea about the 60cm.

witcombusa
09-03-2014, 02:10 PM
I've fit my 56cm BA cross in an S&S case when I was considering a new case after more than 25 round trips the original case is showing some wear but I took it to a local leather repair guy who fixed the wear points, so it's got quite a lot of life left in it. Although most of my trips have been international, the same size rules apply and the only time I was challenged was when I had my helmet tied to the outside of my carry-on bag and the agent asked if I had a bike. The issue was the contents of the case and they never argued about the dimensions. After a brief conversation with a supervisor, where I showed my printed copy of the rules from the web page, they accepted it without charge. I figure that the case has passed muster with more than 70 check-in agents without a problem. I travel economy, no perks, and fly to developing countries where it seems lots of passengers try to take all kinds of oversize/overweight baggage (e.g. going home to Ghana with bags full of stuff for the relatives that's expensive at home) So they are often extra vigilant on those flights because everybody is traveling heavy. The Ritchey case is easier to pack than the S&S, but either will work for a Ritchey bike-at least a 56 or 58cm, I have no idea about the 60cm.

60cm fits in case and goes on the plane no issues so far. However, I do use curbside check everytime.

donevwil
09-03-2014, 02:24 PM
The Ritchey case dimensions add up to 66", or 4" over the limit. Anyone ever had an issue with this? I've heard many good things about packing larger bikes into these cases vs. the 10" S&S hard case, but the advertised size concerns me.

RonW87
09-03-2014, 02:30 PM
I've made 6 to 8 trips with the Ritchey case and never been charged. When they ask what's inside, I say "exercise equipment".

Keith A
09-03-2014, 02:33 PM
You might also take a look at the reviews on RBR...
http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/latest-bikes/road-bike/ritchey/breakaway/prd_321122_5668crx.aspx

elliott
09-03-2014, 06:41 PM
This might be an option for OP and is heavily discounted. Was considering one for myself but I don't really need it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dahon-Tournado-Break-Away-700c-Road-Frameset-60cm-Caramel-Brown-/371014711941?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item5662333a85

93legendti
09-03-2014, 07:20 PM
I had one that rode incredibly well (I used an Ouzo Pro with mine). I only sold it because the geometry didn't work for me.

ctcyclistbob
09-03-2014, 08:15 PM
This might be an option for OP and is heavily discounted. Was considering one for myself but I don't really need it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dahon-Tournado-Break-Away-700c-Road-Frameset-60cm-Caramel-Brown-/371014711941?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item5662333a85

That's a good deal on a nice frame. I bought one a few months ago, still haven't built it up so can't comment on the ride but it seems very well made.

You can get a better deal on their website, and if you sign up for their mailing list they'll send you coupon(s) to make it even cheaper.

old fat man
09-03-2014, 08:35 PM

I've traveled a dozen or so times with zero eyelashes even batted about my Ritchey case. I ride a 60cm and could imagine it would be hard to fit into an S&S case, but I also hear so many people struggle to pack their S&S case that the extra room of the Ritchey case is a welcome benefit. I easily fit my wheels with 40mm Clement MSO's earlier this summer.

I would not let the slightly oversized Ritchey case be a deterrent.

kayten
09-04-2014, 05:59 AM
I just came back from a two week trip with my Ritchey Breakaway. We based ourselves in Cernobbio, Lake Como and did our rides from around there.
It climbed the Ghisallo with ease, and it was in its element gliding along the rolling hills in Lugano.
The pinnacle of the ride was the climb up the Stelvio, and it handled just as well as the other fancy carbon bikes in the group.
The best part of it, was, the ease of packing. In 15 minutes, I can get everything into the bike and ready to go. Checking in and out of the airports was not a problem. The bike bag was small enough, and easy to handle, unlike the hardcases some of the other guys in the group brought. It made lugging in and out of the bus or train, relatively easy than the others.
I never noticed the weight of the bike while riding, and there was no creak whatsoever from the joints.

weisan
09-04-2014, 06:39 AM
It's great to hear direct feedback from pals who actually owned and used ritchey-breakways.

bikingshearer
09-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Thanks for all the input, everyone. It has been very helpful. I am thiiiiiiis close to pulling the trigger through my all-time favorite LBS (Livermore Cyclery - I've known the owner since we were both teenagers with delusions of racing - turns out he is an officially approved Ritchey dealer).

bikingshearer
09-08-2014, 04:26 PM
. . . and trigger pulled. Placed the order today. Should be in the shop by the end of the week and I'll pick it up as soon as I can after that. :banana:

Thanks again to all who responded. Your input and info was incredibly helpful. Now if I don't like it I have someone to blame. :rolleyes:

witcombusa
09-08-2014, 05:42 PM
. . . and trigger pulled. Placed the order today. Should be in the shop by the end of the week and I'll pick it up as soon as I can after that. :banana:

Thanks again to all who responded. Your input and info was incredibly helpful. Now if I don't like it I have someone to blame. :rolleyes:

Now you have to plan your first trip with it...where to go?........

bigman
09-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Fixed, more bar drop than typical for me but great fun. Not a s big as you but same height and love the ride.
henry

MySweetFixie
09-08-2014, 07:48 PM
I have a BA Cross and I love it. It's one of my favorite bikes to ride. My one (sorta major) gripe is that the tire clearance in the rear isn't as large as I'd like it to be. I bought some Bruce Gordon Rock n' Road tires for some Vermont gravel grinding and I had to trim the treads on the rear tire with a box cutter to get it to clear the chainstays. It took forever...

Here's a non-driveside shot with some Gatorskins:
http://i.imgur.com/freFrSO.jpg

old fat man
09-09-2014, 08:26 AM
I have a BA Cross and I love it. It's one of my favorite bikes to ride. My one (sorta major) gripe is that the tire clearance in the rear isn't as large as I'd like it to be. I bought some Bruce Gordon Rock n' Road tires for some Vermont gravel grinding and I had to trim the treads on the rear tire with a box cutter to get it to clear the chainstays. It took forever...

I fit some Clement MSO 40mm tires on my BA Cross earlier this summer. I still have one up front with the stock carbon/aluminum fork. You should give those a try. Not a ton of clearance, but enough to be comfortable with.

odin99
09-09-2014, 09:53 AM
I have a BA Cross and I love it.

nice build!! like the purple touch. :cool:

Don49
09-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Yes, nice build indeed. That's exactly how I would want mine to look.

What fork is that?

bikingshearer
09-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Now you have to plan your first trip with it...where to go?........

My brother and sister and I are headed to the East Coast (NYC, DC) for a couple weeks in October to visit elderly relatives (three aunts, all age 86+, one with a similarly aged husband) and I may take it on that, especially since we may treat ourselves to a day or two in the Gettysburg area, which is beaucoup pretty.

Also just heard back from my LBS - everyone at Ritchey is at InterBike this week, so they won't get the bike until next week, so I have to be a little more patient.

Those pictured BAs look great. Nicely done. all. Mine will almost certainly have a Campy 10sp drivetrain, like most of the rest of my stable. I'm looking forward to getting it built up and road testing it.

callt5
09-09-2014, 07:12 PM
Congratulations! You will love it! In June I picked up a Dahon Allegro which I believe is a re-badged Ritchey BA. It has already been to Mt. Palomar in SoCal and Mt. Ventoux. I haven't ridden steel for 10 years. What a smooth ride. Such a pleasure to take out. Very solid. I weigh 185lbs. No creaks. I have not experienced any flex. Approached 50 mph descending Ventoux. Bike was spot on! Very stable. After 2 trips it takes me 25-30 minutes to breakdown or assemble. Ritchey has two videos on youtube. One for assembly and one for breakdown. I watched both during each process. So glad I finally made the purchase. I am sure you will be too.

kophinos
09-12-2014, 02:44 AM
I fantasize about building one of these up with the new 5800 group if I ever start traveling on the regular again. Our team discount on the framesets are fairly decent.

MySweetFixie
09-12-2014, 09:58 PM
I fit some Clement MSO 40mm tires on my BA Cross earlier this summer. I still have one up front with the stock carbon/aluminum fork. You should give those a try. Not a ton of clearance, but enough to be comfortable with.

Thanks for the tire suggestion, I'll definitely check them out.

Yes, nice build indeed. That's exactly how I would want mine to look.

What fork is that?

It's an All-City Nature Boy fork. I really wanted a straight blade fork, and I can't remember why, but I settled on AC's. It's a little heavy, but it works well and there are no logos on it.

foo_fighter
09-16-2014, 01:41 PM
I just saw that they are going to produce an all carbon breakaway for 2015. I wonder if it would be more or less durable for travelling?

witcombusa
09-16-2014, 02:13 PM
I just saw that they are going to produce an all carbon breakaway for 2015. I wonder if it would be more or less durable for travelling?

You seriously wonder if a plastic bike will hold up better or worse than a steel bike while under the care of the "Samsonite gorillias"? :eek:

cd_davis
09-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Read with interest.

zennmotion
09-16-2014, 02:33 PM
My brother and sister and I are headed to the East Coast (NYC, DC) for a couple weeks in October to visit elderly relatives (three aunts, all age 86+, one with a similarly aged husband) and I may take it on that, especially since we may treat ourselves to a day or two in the Gettysburg area, which is beaucoup pretty.

Also just heard back from my LBS - everyone at Ritchey is at InterBike this week, so they won't get the bike until next week, so I have to be a little more patient.

Those pictured BAs look great. Nicely done. all. Mine will almost certainly have a Campy 10sp drivetrain, like most of the rest of my stable. I'm looking forward to getting it built up and road testing it.

This is my favorite thing to do with my BA Cross in the Gettysburg Area
http://ironcrossrace.blogspot.com/
October 5, be there or be square,
https://www.bikereg.com/ironcross

Keith A
09-16-2014, 09:44 PM
Just an interesting note is that there was a guy visiting our area and hooked with our local Tuesday night ride and he was on a Ritchey BA...and he didn't even get dropped :rolleyes:

foo_fighter
09-17-2014, 01:02 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the carbon one would hold up better...depending on design.(Ritchey claims narrower but thicker tubes). The steel one would dent and go out of alignment or get crushed. Haven't you seen those youtube videos comparing carbon forks(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QNRpSkTGoA ) or frames or F1 drive shafts(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjErH4_1fks?) The Ti breakaway has carbon on the front and rear anyway.

You seriously wonder if a plastic bike will hold up better or worse than a steel bike while under the care of the "Samsonite gorillias"? :eek: