PDA

View Full Version : water bottle boss rust

deechee
09-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Its funny. This Serotta is ten years old, yet I was still very sad to see this. Any suggestions on where to go to get this fixed? I'm in Montreal.

http://i62.tinypic.com/5nvur.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/24l7ath.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/33yhuae.jpg
Thanks.

PS. I'm assuming that I'm fine to keep riding the bike but double checking with everyone's deep knowledge.

David Kirk
09-01-2014, 03:20 PM
It looks like maybe the bottle boss area might have been accidentally been clamped in a work stand and crushed in damaging the tube.

Do you have any other photos of it?

dave

ultraman6970
09-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Why there is a dent in there?

deechee
09-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Thanks for looking guys. I added new photos.

I didn't realize but the bottom boss also is chipping on the same side. It looks almost as if someone tried to torque the bottle cage out to the non-drive side. The weird thing is, I only pull my bottles with my right hand, rarely do I use my left hand.

I know my LBS often don't clamp my bike, if ever, they clamp my seatpost. And to be honest, this year nobody else touched my bike except maybe some friends when putting the bike onto a roof rack.. I'm really baffled.

Either way, I'm a little annoyed since I just had the bike repainted last year - sigh - not sure I want to go through the process all over again, although I don't want that hole to get bigger.

tiretrax
09-02-2014, 09:48 AM
LBS can remove the rivnut and then have a look. You might need to find a framebuilder. No. 22 bicycles was started by Serotta refugees. I think Saratoga is only a few hours drive from Montreal, n'est pas?

EricEstlund
09-02-2014, 11:03 AM
It sure looks like the tube has been clamped and the boss pulled/ ripped to get back straight- possibly tearing the tube in the process. Somewhere along the line more has happened here.

Ahneida Ride
09-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Consider repair by Bilenky. The are very good.
Looks like you may need a tube replacement.

I don't believe that Kelly, Kirk or Ellis are doing Serotta repairs.
They all have enough of their own work.

Scooper
09-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Maybe take it to Marinoni to see what they can do with it?

Hat
09-02-2014, 01:15 PM
You can install new rivnuts with a qr skewer if you don't mind doing it yourself.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/water-bottle-fittings

ultraman6970
09-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Good news is steel and can be repaired, at least you have a lot more options than with other materials.

I had to fix that I would take the rivet out just to start, maybe tig or use some bronze filler to fix the dent and then drill a whole new hole and use one of those rivnuts Hat is talking about.

Another option, drill the rivet out, sand and clean the rust out, paint again, maybe 2 strips in another color just over the water bottle nuts? so at least looks even and then as Hat said, new oversize rivnuts.

If you are in toronto, there is a builder in whelph (sp), he can fix you that for sure.

David Kirk
09-02-2014, 01:45 PM
So - to take a step back.........

What material is the frame? It looks like chrome plate steel but it's hard to be 100% sure from the photo.

If it's steel then it looks as if the tube failed adjacent to the bottle boss due to be crushed in a work stand. Also - if it's steel then I seriously doubt that it has a rivnut but instead would have a brazed in boss.

If it's Ti then it's probably a rivnut.

Anyway you cut it it sure looks like the thing got crushed in a stand.

dave

deechee
09-02-2014, 09:49 PM
Thanks everybody.

The bike is a steel Colorado III, repainted beautifully by Noah Rosen in the early part of 2013.

My bike shop said to bring it in, I'll see what they can do but I guess Marinoni might be the easiest next step. Thanks for all the other suggestions, Bilenky looks good too, and yeah Saratoga is an easy drive down.

I agree the damage looks like someone clamped it, but to be honest, I only take off the bottle cages for cleaning and don't have a stand at home so... anyway one of those mysteries...