PDA

View Full Version : 11.4 to Texas

09-01-2014, 12:28 PM
After Geoff showed such devotion to Texas roads recently that he gave them part of himself, I guess there must really be something to it. I've been joking about it for a year, but work is now giving me the option to move to Dallas/Ft Worth. I'm arriving mid-October.

I have a question as we look for housing (a one-year house rental for now as we look for a home to buy). Work for me is going to be in Las Colinas, so we really can live wherever in the metroplex we want. I've worked there in the recent past but was it was a commuting situation and I didn't have a bike along.

The question: I would like to know my options for decent training areas closer to Dallas (I'd like to stay within accessible driving time to the track in Frisco). I don't mind a drive, but would love to ride from home. Flower Mound? Mesquite? Where do you find the best training areas? I'm a trackie so I'm not hunting out big hills. I've seen the basic websites on racing and riding in the metroplex, but any suggestions are most welcome.

tiretrax
09-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Call me - I'll PM my phone number.

weisan
09-01-2014, 03:20 PM
11.4-pal...you got me all excited with your title ..."Texas" my internal alarm went off when i saw that ....and then i read your post. WTH!
Sorry I can't help you there cuz I don't live where the heathens live.
As Davy Crockett so famously pointed out..."You may all go to Hell, I will go to Austin!":butt::p

jmoore
09-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Don't discount the rush hour traffic. It can be a colossal pain. If you want to be nearish to the Superdrome, then Frisco/Plano is where you want to start looking. The commute to Las Colinas will be most direct along the Bush but it can get stacked up going west. North Carrolton might be with checking out as well. If you want to live more towards work, then Coppell/Valley Ranch is nice. Suburbia but nice. Anywhere along the Bush corridor is prob fine.

Do you have kids? Schools will be better up that way than Dallas proper and it will be a beast of a commute from north Dallas to Las Colinas too. I did it for years. Never again.

I live in Lake Highlands which is in the north end of White Rock Lake. Some of the best riding in Dallas. Great place to live and good schools but a long way from LC and the track in Frisco.

And lastly, NOT Mesquite.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

texbike
09-01-2014, 03:42 PM
11.4, it'll be great to have you in the area! Sorry to hear that you'll be working in the Las Colinas area. As cool as the area is, it seems that it's always a pain commuting into Las Colina - even if you live in Las Colinas. My trips to DFW usually include stops at a couple of customers around there. I'd purposely schedule my meetings with them at times that would miss commuting into/out of the area during rush hour.

Good luck with your search and welcome back to Texas!

Texbike

09-01-2014, 04:38 PM
I run the company so I don't expect to be doing a daily 9-5 commute. And I'd like to be within range of the track but especially be close to decent training areas. So I'm not caught up about Las Colinas. I could even move offices if I wanted.

Sounds as though, unless I want to go far west to Weatherford and beyond, some of the best riding is up north around Flower Mound? I'll be doing some scouting in a week or so, but would like to narrow the range a bit. How bad is it to get from Flower Mount into Irving or downtown Seattle, rush hour?

Thanks everyone for your help. Lots of PM's and they're most appreciated.

tiretrax
09-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Flower Mound won't be too difficult, but you might want to be elsewhere depending on other factors. Yes, riding to west is better, hillier and more scenic. But, there is plenty of good riding in town (including to the south). I rode from my house in Uptown through Las Colinas to D/FW airport this morning. That's a nice ride, too, and Las Colinas is not a bad place to live.

texbike
09-01-2014, 10:01 PM
I run the company so I don't expect to be doing a daily 9-5 commute. And I'd like to be within range of the track but especially be close to decent training areas. So I'm not caught up about Las Colinas. I could even move offices if I wanted.

Sounds as though, unless I want to go far west to Weatherford and beyond, some of the best riding is up north around Flower Mound? I'll be doing some scouting in a week or so, but would like to narrow the range a bit. How bad is it to get from Flower Mount into Irving or downtown Seattle, rush hour?

Thanks everyone for your help. Lots of PM's and they're most appreciated.

Good for you! In that case, move your office to Ft. Worth and live West of 35W. :)

Texbike