PDA

View Full Version : high spoke count...

spokelacer
08-31-2014, 08:32 PM
Hi folks, curious for some opinions:

I am a competent wheel builder who has always been told that higher spoke count wheels do not benefit from bladed spokes. I have just finished a 36 spoke set for my tandem and was quite surprised as to much smoother and faster they feel.
The old set: Mavic 261, DT champion spokes, Hugi hub
The new set: Velocity Aeroheat, Sapim CX-Ray, White industries M16 tandem disk

Front: The same but with Sapims (both White industries and velocity rim.

True, the set lost about three quarters of a pound in the rear, but over 20mph it just seems to fly.
So it seems that bladed spoke really matter?
Just looking for opinions....
Thanks!

1centaur
08-31-2014, 08:54 PM
Not a wheelbuilder, but I have always heard higher spoke counts are aero pigs so logically I'd think bladed spokes would be MORE effective in that setting, relatively. I suppose in a wind tunnel one might find dirty air effects if the spokes are too close together, but...

spokelacer
08-31-2014, 09:05 PM
I like that idea, I have heard that too about so much disturbed air. Of course, the smooth ride also may contribute to the feelings of speed. Still, the cyclometer showed high numbers. Thanks for your comment.

Not a wheelbuilder, but I have always heard higher spoke counts are aero pigs so logically I'd think bladed spokes would be MORE effective in that setting, relatively. I suppose in a wind tunnel one might find dirty air effects if the spokes are too close together, but...

oldpotatoe
09-01-2014, 05:55 AM
Hi folks, curious for some opinions:

I am a competent wheel builder who has always been told that higher spoke count wheels do not benefit from bladed spokes. I have just finished a 36 spoke set for my tandem and was quite surprised as to much smoother and faster they feel.
The old set: Mavic 261, DT champion spokes, Hugi hub
The new set: Velocity Aeroheat, Sapim CX-Ray, White industries M16 tandem disk

Front: The same but with Sapims (both White industries and velocity rim.

True, the set lost about three quarters of a pound in the rear, but over 20mph it just seems to fly.
So it seems that bladed spoke really matter?
Just looking for opinions....
Thanks!

I'd say it's the stiffness of the rim...not the spokes while altho oval, aren't really 'aero' or 'bladed'. Pretty gutsy, BTW-even 36h, CX-Ray, Disc and Tandem rear wheel.

ultraman6970
09-01-2014, 09:23 AM
Well, you have less rotational mass to start with. That's why the wheel feel faster probably to launch it, lighter.

Second, the bladed spokes part is hard to tell, I have had wheels built with the old alpina bladed spoke and honestly never felt any difference that was like super noticeable but we are talking about 30 years old spokes, not the new stuff.

No idea how soft are those velocity rims, mavic rims in general are really hard rims depending on the models. So probably the combination of lighter wheels, softer rim is giving you that big difference you are describing.

If you want to get any doubt off your head you have to put the sapim spokes in the old wheel.

Ahneida Ride
09-01-2014, 09:35 AM
I run Mavic CXP rims, White Ind. Racer X Hubs ... 10 speed

36 spokes
4 cross
Sapim Cx-ray bladed spokes.

Victoria Corsa clinchers 25
Latex tubes

It a nice step up and bomb proof

cmg
09-01-2014, 10:27 AM
"Well, you have less rotational mass to start with." Probably has more to do with reduced rim weight than the spokes. try going to a light tire/tube combo. You could run a conti supersonic on the front for example.