PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight 'Mixed' Wheelsets

Vamoots58
08-31-2014, 07:57 PM
I'm turning 50 on wednesday (ugh, still trying to wrap my arms around that). My lovely wife treated me to a new bike to celebrate earlier this year. She wanted me to have it to enjoy over the summer (yeah, I'm pretty lucky). Built up a new Colnago C59 with Campy SR EPS. As the big day is approaching, my wife hit me with the "why don't you treat yourself to those wheels you always drool over in the magazines (Lightweights)." I am still wrestling with whether I should be spending the additional $$$ (actually $$$$$$$$), but also with which set to get. Have always lusted after the Meilenstein (previously Standards). I have read some reviews that say they can be a bit of a handful in the wind. I weigh 185, and rarely have big issues being pushed around on the road. That being said, was looking at the website for a shop in London that a colleague over there swears by (CycleFit London) and they offer mixed sets. I could go with a Gipfelsturm Front and Meilenstein Rear. Figure the shallower front rim deals with potential wind issues (and it's slightly lighter) while the deeper Meilenstein rear would provide that stiffness that my ever aging legs would appreciate delivering power to the road. Heresy?? Appreciate any thoughts from owners of either.

rustychisel
08-31-2014, 08:20 PM
I'm 52, so congratulations!!!!

Get a set - better for resale value. Source a 2nd hand Neutron or similar for front wheel on windy days if it proves to be an issue.

Ralph
08-31-2014, 08:29 PM
I'm 52, so congratulations!!!!

Get a set - better for resale value. Source a 2nd hand Neutron or similar for front wheel on windy days if it proves to be an issue.

Good advice. However.....my medium depth Campy wheels automatically design slightly more depth on rear wheel than front. Makes it slightly stronger also. So I think you have a good idea, just find a set built that way.

Johnnyg
08-31-2014, 08:40 PM
I'm turning 50 on wednesday (ugh, still trying to wrap my arms around that). My lovely wife treated me to a new bike to celebrate earlier this year. She wanted me to have it to enjoy over the summer (yeah, I'm pretty lucky). Built up a new Colnago C59 with Campy SR EPS. As the big day is approaching, my wife hit me with the "why don't you treat yourself to those wheels you always drool over in the magazines (Lightweights)." I am still wrestling with whether I should be spending the additional $$$ (actually $$$$$$$$), but also with which set to get. Have always lusted after the Meilenstein (previously Standards). I have read some reviews that say they can be a bit of a handful in the wind. I weigh 185, and rarely have big issues being pushed around on the road. That being said, was looking at the website for a shop in London that a colleague over there swears by (CycleFit London) and they offer mixed sets. I could go with a Gipfelsturm Front and Meilenstein Rear. Figure the shallower front rim deals with potential wind issues (and it's slightly lighter) while the deeper Meilenstein rear would provide that stiffness that my ever aging legs would appreciate delivering power to the road. Heresy?? Appreciate any thoughts from owners of either.
Been riding the Meilenstiens for three years. Wow get them you will not look back. Have not found them to be difficult in windy conditions under 20mph. Your lusting will be over, at least for wheels.

laupsi
08-31-2014, 09:18 PM
My exact set up, although the names have changed; Standard in the rear, Ventoux in the front. Get the set, you won't regret the purchase! Also LW's customer service is outstanding.

tiretrax
08-31-2014, 10:16 PM
Welcome to the club. Does your wife have a sister?

Ken Robb
08-31-2014, 10:56 PM
Been riding the Meilenstiens for three years. Wow get them you will not look back. Have not found them to be difficult in windy conditions under 20mph. Your lusting will be over, at least for wheels.

Jeez, if you're riding slower than 20mph what difference do you get from wheels?

OKAY, I spend almost all of my rides under 20mph so I'm just jerking your chain but I couldn't resist. :banana:

Tim Porter
09-01-2014, 06:45 AM
I think he's talking about wind speeds over 20 mph???

velomonkey
09-01-2014, 08:45 AM
I haven't had the pleasure of the lightweights - maybe when I'm 50 - but here is what I can tell you - I'm 6'3" 200 and had the Cosmic SLR wheels which were 50mm and this year I moved to ENVE 3.4 which is 30 front and 40mm rear.

I liked the 50mm cosmic better. The weight difference was negligible and the 50mm rim was better aero performance. I never suffered from the wheels being sketchy in the wind - and clearly don't with the ENVE wheels either. I think that is more for the really small riders who already get pushed around in the wind and the deep profiles just exacerbate it.

I live on the coast and we get some wicked windy days here for about 3 months and it just never really was a factor.

My advice, go aero and don't worry about wind gusts given your weight.

maverick_1
09-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Here's mine, Ventoux with Standard Gen3 combo, tubulars of course. Rode this to the mountains south of Tokyo, on the way to Hakone.
I'm a sucker for LW wheels btw, 5th pair arriving this weekend :banana:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5564/14919231767_35edd9d1b3_b.jpg