PDA

View Full Version : help me choose a brake

vqdriver
08-31-2014, 02:21 PM
what's the fattest tire you've fit into a long reach caliper? would i be able to cram a 42 cx tire in there?
how about mini-v?

mud is not an issue.

i don't plan on maxing out the tire size all the time but i'd like to know what the limitations are.

p nut
08-31-2014, 03:31 PM
I have used 38's in some long reach calipers. They seemed to be right at the limit. (Had to deflate to fit it in as well). Paul Racer brakes (center mount) is also another option for even fatter tires.

Edit: The caliper brakes I had were cheap Nashbar long reach that actually worked quite well (with KS salmon pads).

Ken Robb
08-31-2014, 03:32 PM
I gather you are contemplating a new bike and want to decide on caliper vs. canti/mini-v for the design. If you would consider calipers that are not current production there are some old brakes that are much bigger than new stuff today. I think Rivendell sells the biggest current calipers.

vqdriver
08-31-2014, 03:41 PM
yep. spot in queue coming up..

i did consider pauls, but if i could have my choice, i would not use cable hangers. discs would actually check all my boxes but i don't know if i could swing a new wheelset as well. so i'm back to long reach or mini v

Ken Robb
08-31-2014, 04:59 PM
Rivendell has run quite a bit of info on brake sizes in the past and it may be available on their site.

EricEstlund
08-31-2014, 05:47 PM
There are a lot of (well, enough) good brake options for longer reach. It may be worth chatting with the person building the bike if there are more or less appropriate options for optimal integration.