PDA

View Full Version : How to go from Shimano to SRAM - Newbie question

whall006
08-30-2014, 12:05 PM
I just bought a 2014 Cannondale CAADX Sora cross bike, but I am not a fan of the excessive cables that extend from the handlebars. My other bikes are SRAM and I would like to switch this bike to SRAM as well. This bike is a 2x9 setup. What would I need to purchase? Are the components shifters, FD, RD the same that are used on road bikes (newbie question)? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dead Man
08-30-2014, 12:29 PM
Shifters and derailleurs.. MAYBE cable/housing? Those usually come with the shifters, though. Cranksets are compatible.

You'll also probably need a different spacer for your cassette, but I can't tell you what.

So you just want under- bar-tape routing? You can get that by going to a better Shimano set also, but it'd cost more. IIRC, 5700 is under-tape shift routing, and I know 6700 is. Everything up from there is under-tape. There's a 6700 set for sale in the classifieds here for a good price - under $500 for the whole set, but you only need the shifters and ders.

thirdgenbird
08-30-2014, 12:31 PM
If your main objective is to get under tape routing, I would buy used Athena 11 ergo levers. They will index fine with your existing 2x9 drivetrain.

GeorgeTSquirrel
08-30-2014, 01:32 PM
If your main objective is to get under tape routing, I would buy used Athena 11 ergo levers. They will index fine with your existing 2x9 drivetrain.

That's what I did for my touring bike, which is otherwise a Shimano drivetrain. Front shifting is good enough. Rear shifting is perfect so long as 1) derailleur uses a guide pulley with lateral movement and 2) I fine tune from the middle of the cassette.

I lucked out and got my Athena11 shifters for $104 on Amazon (but they haven't been that cheap since). Much preferred (to me) over the Shimano style of shifter, as I prefer my brake lever only move in one direction.

cmbicycles
08-30-2014, 01:32 PM
If going to sram you will need shifters, front & rear derailleurs (front may work ok, just gotta try it and see), 10s chain and cassette. New cables and housing may be needed as well, but you may be able to use what you already have.

oldpotatoe
08-30-2014, 01:40 PM
If going to sram you will need shifters, front & rear derailleurs (front may work ok, just gotta try it and see), 10s chain and cassette. New cables and housing may be needed as well, but you may be able to use what you already have.

Yep but if the goal is hidden shift housing, far cheaper to get some shimano 105 shifters(5700), 10s 5700 cogset and chain....use the 9s ders....

shovelhd
08-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Why would you want to do that? :)

Gummee
08-30-2014, 05:12 PM
The good news is you don't need to buy a new front derailleur, but you will need a new rear derailleur, shifters, cassette, and a chain.

The 'cheap SOBs r us mechanics' says you can re-use the rear cables on the new fronts if you buy used stuff. That way, all you need are one brake and one shifter cable.

Good luck!

M

tiretrax
08-30-2014, 06:31 PM
Get the DA 7900 group advertised here.

whall006
08-30-2014, 08:44 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback and advice. I talked to my shop today and it looks like they can get me a deal on a SRAM Apex mini group to make the transition. They still were not sure about going to a 10 speed cassette on the stock wheel, but they'll know more when they see the bike.

oldpotatoe
08-31-2014, 07:10 AM
Thanks for all of the feedback and advice. I talked to my shop today and it looks like they can get me a deal on a SRAM Apex mini group to make the transition. They still were not sure about going to a 10 speed cassette on the stock wheel, but they'll know more when they see the bike.

If it accepts a 9s cogset, it will accept a 10s cogset....I'd still use a shimano fder, cogset and chain...even with apex.

grawk
08-31-2014, 07:53 AM

would this work with 6500?

thirdgenbird
08-31-2014, 09:38 AM
would this work with 6500?

I haven't done it myself, but I've seen plently of successful reports.

fourflys
08-31-2014, 02:46 PM
If it accepts a 9s cogset, it will accept a 10s cogset....I'd still use a shimano fder, cogset and chain...even with apex.

Heed this advice from Old Potatoe!