PDA

View Full Version : Kids practicing cross in the 'burbs!

Fishbike
08-29-2014, 09:16 AM
Last night I raced home from work, ditched the suit and donned some shorts so I could at least get a short ride in before an ever-more-quickly-setting-sun. When I don't have much time to ride I will often head to a nearby subdivision; it has a few good hills that provide a decent workout in a short amount of time.

As I turned into the 'hood I saw a dad and three kids riding on their front lawn practicing cross. The boy was about 10 and the two girls were about 8 and 6. Dad set up a small barrier, maybe about 10 inches high, and the kids road in a circle on the on the grass, hopped off their bikes, jumped over the barrier and remounted. I yelled over "Yay cross! Best thing I have ever seen in this subdivision!" :bike:

Even better than the 4 dear I saw ten minutes later.

Lewis Moon
08-29-2014, 09:47 AM
Yay cross indeed.

When I'm training and I see a kid wearing a helmet, I'll complement them (and attendant parents). The hope is that someone in full race kit giving them the thumbs up will be some sort of motivation.
Ya gotta do the little things for big things to happen.

Last night I raced home from work, ditched the suit and donned some shorts so I could at least get a short ride in before an ever-more-quickly-setting-sun. When I don't have much time to ride I will often head to a nearby subdivision; it has a few good hills that provide a decent workout in a short amount of time.

As I turned into the 'hood I saw a dad and three kids riding on their front lawn practicing cross. The boy was about 10 and the two girls were about 8 and 6. Dad set up a small barrier, maybe about 10 inches high, and the kids road in a circle on the on the grass, hopped off their bikes, jumped over the barrier and remounted. I yelled over "Yay cross! Best thing I have ever seen in this subdivision!" :bike:

Even better than the 4 dear I saw ten minutes later.

bcroslin
08-29-2014, 11:05 AM
So rad. Love to hear that. Makes me jealous because my daughter wants nothing to do with bikes.

It's been awesome to see how many kids are getting into CX here in FL. We have a relatively small scene and so I think it's a lot less intimidating.