PDA

View Full Version : Campy 11sp shifting 10sp possible?

sam.g
08-28-2014, 02:25 PM
Took a spill last week crossing some wet RR tracks and buggered up my Campy Record Ultra 10 speed shifters. Currently I'm running Campy 10 speed ergo shifters driving a Shimano 10sp RD and cassette with a JTek shiftmate, it has performed flawlessly and has been very reliable.

So I'm considering replacing the 10 sp Record shifters but would like advice if I'm better off moving up to 11 speed Campy shifters. These would still be controlling the 10 speed Shimano drive train and JTek Shiftmate. Also which Campy 11 sp shifters should I get if I still wish to move or dump more than one cog in a sweep.

Sam in Cincy

seppa
08-28-2014, 05:57 PM
You would need to go with Super Record, Record or Chorus, Athena Ultra shift versions exist too but they were only made available for a year or so then they were downgraded to single shifts, so you're more likely to find those used than new.

I remember a few years ago a friend of mine was using 11 and I was using 10 and we had a 10 speed cassette on a lemond warm up trainer and his bike seemed to be able to shift the 10 speed ok for the most part, which I found odd... but I would just suggest if youre gonna get 11 speed shifters, get a campy rear wheel and just get an 11 speed cassette.

A1CKot
08-28-2014, 06:43 PM
For 10 speed the Centaur shifters from a couple years back have the new shifter design and the ultra internal, so you can dump gears. I have a pair in good condition I would part with if you want them.

I'm not sure about 11 speed shifters with 10 speed drive-train.

saab2000
08-28-2014, 06:58 PM
You can get Campagnolo 10-speed shifters in Centaur and Veloce. I have the Ultrashift versions and the Powershift one as well. While you can't dump the Powershift, I actually prefer the shift action. It seems a bit more precise, and I actually prefer the one-gear-at-a-time motion of the thumb actuated shifter.

Mine have been great. Both work well and it's ultimately a matter of personal preference, but you can still get 10-speed shifters. They make them, as well as cassettes and chains. No need to upgrade to 11-speed if you don't want to do so. I am happily running 10-speed bikes many years after the introduction of 11-speed. Not out of being a retrorouch or anti-progression, but I really don't see the need to at this point.

ultraman6970
08-28-2014, 10:53 PM
Ultra is using campy 11 shifters with a campy 10 speed drive train all paired to a JTek shiftmate #2 (i believe), works ok. You get the 9 clicks to shift the 10 speed stuff. FD works as usual, good.

RD works fine, just be sure to follow the instructions and add enough cable case for a nice bend so everything runs smooth, besides that it works perfect.

Hope this helps.

oldpotatoe
08-29-2014, 06:25 AM
Took a spill last week crossing some wet RR tracks and buggered up my Campy Record Ultra 10 speed shifters. Currently I'm running Campy 10 speed ergo shifters driving a Shimano 10sp RD and cassette with a JTek shiftmate, it has performed flawlessly and has been very reliable.

So I'm considering replacing the 10 sp Record shifters but would like advice if I'm better off moving up to 11 speed Campy shifters. These would still be controlling the 10 speed Shimano drive train and JTek Shiftmate. Also which Campy 11 sp shifters should I get if I still wish to move or dump more than one cog in a sweep.

Sam in Cincy

Any Ultrashift levers. Any 2009/2010(Centaur and Veloce are 10s), SR/Record/Chorus of any year.

BUT 11s shifters pull less cable that 10s since 11s cogs are closer together..

druptight
08-29-2014, 06:30 AM
11 shifters with a campy 10 speed drive train all paired to a JTek shiftmate #2

This is the important note. If you go to 11, you'll need to pick up a new shiftmate (or at least the new pulley wheel for your existing shiftmate) because the mixing speeds version is #2 and I think the version you're currently using is probably version #1.

Alternatively, there were several sets of record 10 shifters up on the classifieds this week.