PDA

View Full Version : 91-Year-Old Cyclist Vows to Continue Riding After Being Hit By Car

ORMojo
08-28-2014, 11:27 AM
http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/32071332-75/91-year-old-bicyclist-vows-to-get-back-in-the-saddle-following-weekend-accident.html.csp

Yes, another bike hit by car story, but unfortunately this one appears to be the cyclist's fault. The good part of the story is reflected in the title of this post (even after sustaining a concussion, four broken ribs, a banged-up shoulder, a collapsed lung, and multiple cuts and bruises), and in the response of the people at the scene of the incident. That location is bad enough even if you are ensconced in your car, much less for cyclists and pedestrians. I'm fortunate to live in an area where most folks are relatively respectful, if not supportive of, cyclists (at least from what I can tell in comparison to the stories here from other locations).

Ken Robb
08-28-2014, 12:04 PM
As I read this while recuperating from similar injuries I wonder if this guy would be making a mistake if he goes back to riding in traffic. To some extent that depends on how well he heals and what the docs think the result might be if he crashes again. The other question is his situational awareness. He failed to detect traffic danger this time and it sounds like he suffered a concussion/loss of consciousness which may further compromise his mental acuity.
I hope there is more news of his recovery progress that we can follow. I have no doubt that his above-average physical condition has a lot to do with his survival and recovery thus far. That is what the medical folks told me after my accident and I'm "ONLY" 71. :banana:

biker72
08-28-2014, 12:32 PM
At 76 I can certainly sympathise with George. Get back on the bike as soon as possible.

He needs to do a thorough self assessment to see if he should be cycling again. Especially after a head injury. After turning in front of a car I'd have second thoughts about riding in traffic.

redir
08-28-2014, 02:53 PM
I hope he gets back at it. We all make dumb mistakes. A good friend of mine turned right into traffic, he made a U-turn right into the road because he didn't look and didn't hear a car coming. He was wrong, he was only 30 years old. But this guy is an inspiration for sure, he needs to get back!