PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on gel padded saddles?

p nut
08-28-2014, 08:51 AM
Years ago, when I was looking to buy my first pair of shorts, I was warned to stay away from gel padded shorts. Does the same apply for saddles? I was looking at a new saddle for longer distance rides and was going to try out a Toupe. One of the sales guys suggested a Toupe Gel. Is this something also to be avoided?

MattTuck
08-28-2014, 09:01 AM
In my experience, gel will break down over time.

rwsaunders
08-28-2014, 09:34 AM
20 years or so ago I was participating in a century and at the 50 mile rest stop, I noticed a greasy smear on my saddle. Disgusting, right? Anyway, it turned out that the gel insert in my bibs had burst somewhere out on the ride. I haven't heard of a gel insert bursting on a saddle, but that experience has been forever burned into my memory chip.

Rada
08-28-2014, 09:35 AM
I stay away from gel saddles like the plague. For me and long distance nothing beats a Brooks.

Lewis Moon
08-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Really, there's no substitute for miles + tweaking. Switching/moving/tilting saddles until you find the right combo can be a literal pain in the butt, however, it'll pay dividends in the "end".

Also, too: the correct saddle for you is very often not the one that's the lightest, hippest or goes with your color scheme.

Gel hardens over time, is heavy and varies in density. The best gel out there is the stuff that comes naturally.

wallymann
08-28-2014, 10:46 AM
In my experience, gel will break down over time.

as will any padding.

Lewis Moon
08-28-2014, 10:49 AM
as will any padding.

The best saddle padding repairs itself.

wallymann
08-28-2014, 11:14 AM
The best saddle padding repairs itself.

and what is that?

my backside doesnt have enough padding and i know of no way to encourage more padding to grow (cycling and getting fit tends to undermine the accumulation of padding).

as a young man i sneered at old guys that used gel this and gel that. now i *am* that old guy and swear by gel saddles (slim-cut selle italia racing saddles) and gel pads (slim-cut gel santini pads). without those accommodations for aging, there's no way i can continue doing double centuries and all the saddle-time that entails.

The best gel out there is the stuff that comes naturally.

sure, if you can pick your parents! some people are blessed with fat asses, others are cursed with bony asses.

Lewis Moon
08-28-2014, 11:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOTC83pHEx4

FastforaSlowGuy
08-28-2014, 11:29 AM
I'm pretty sure that body fat (aka "natural padding") has nothing to do with cushioning and comfort. Like everything else, it's about fit and acclimation. Any saddle change will require some time to get accustomed to the new pressure sensations. But if the saddle doesn't fit your anatomy and position, then no amount of gel is going to help that. Similarly, if you aren't positioned on the bike properly, you can turn an otherwise fine-fitting saddle into a nightmare.

The bike is a system of parts, and it has to interact with a system of contact points on the rider. Thinking about the saddle in isolation won't get you very far.

giordana93
08-28-2014, 11:39 AM
For an unfit rider doing low miles, it might make sense, but not for me, ever. The gel migrates away from the hard part of your butt (sit bones) where pressure is highest, meaning there is actually less padding where you want it, and too much where you don't. So maybe it works for some and maybe in the crotch/perineum area, but not under the sit bones, if you do any kind of fitness riding

CunegoFan
08-28-2014, 11:45 AM
Back in the day I had an Avocet saddle with gel. It used lycra instead of leather as a covering. I really liked that saddle.

Whatever happened to lycra covered saddles? Then again it has been forever since I have seen those decorative lycra "socks" that riders used to put on their saddles; LBSes used to have a basket of them.

wallymann
08-28-2014, 12:13 PM
gel migrates away from the hard part of your butt

there are 2 kinds of gel, solid "viscoelastic gel" which does not migrate and some sort of liquid-based goo-filled gel saddles.

i use the former, no migration issues whatsoever. and my issues are directly under the sit-bones. no gel, after 3-4 hours of saddle-time i start to have problems.

batman1425
08-28-2014, 12:37 PM
It is my belief that shape is more important than cushioning, but everyone's a$$ end is different. In fact I am more uncomfortable (relatively speaking) with the more padded versions of the same saddle. Again your results may vary and it will depend a lot on your fit, flexibility, and riding style.

My advice is to focus on the shape that works for you best. What kind of pain are you getting with longer rides on your current saddle? Sit bone pain? Numbness? Chafing or hot spots? The kind of issues you are having can clue you into what shape and type/amount of cushioning will be a more likely bet for your anatomical needs.

Also, building up to long stints in the saddle will help a lot. Your sit bones and pelvis in general need to get used to being on a bike seat for 4+ hours at a time. Take the build up slow and you might find your current saddle is just fine.

During my rowing days, I used to dread practices were we split into small boats (4's or 2's) for the day. 95% of our time was in the 8, and your rear gets used to that seat when you spend 20 hours a week on it. Our 4+'s and 2-'s were different manufacturers than the 8 with different shaped seats. Pure agony for those rows.

Re. the toupe gel. I have been riding specialized saddles exclusively for the last 8 years. Started with phenoms, did a brief stint with the toupe, now have Romin Evo's on all of my bikes. In my experience, the Toupe's shell will likely give up the ghost before you notice any breakdown of the gel. The toupe is a great saddle, but it is built to be light, not long lasting.

One last piece of advice - when you find one that works for you, buy 2 or 3 extra and stash them away for replacements or N+1's.

wallymann
08-28-2014, 12:49 PM
It is my belief that shape is more important than cushioning.... My advice is to focus on the shape that works for you best.

very good advice. gel is a marginal improvement that cannot overcome a saddle-to-backside interface that is inherently poorly matched.

giordana93
08-28-2014, 04:15 PM
there are 2 kinds of gel, solid "viscoelastic gel" which does not migrate and some sort of liquid-based goo-filled gel saddles.

i use the former, no migration issues whatsoever. and my issues are directly under the sit-bones. no gel, after 3-4 hours of saddle-time i start to have problems.

I can easily believe that it works for some folks and no doubt the models have better tech today than when I tried it in 80's, but a firm foam is better for me and honestly the toupe I ride has almost no foam; the saddle shell flexes. But it is a racing saddle. And no matter what, after a few weeks off the bike my arse will hurt after the first ride.