PDA

View Full Version : Dinged by customs duties

OtayBW
08-28-2014, 08:37 AM
You may recall my very speedy delivery of a crankset recently from Wiggle (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=154104&highlight=wiggle. I just received a Customs Duty Invoice from DHL and got dinged in the amount 10%.
I looked up the HTS code, and it reads:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j42/zelmo_2006/9ce89781-7997-45ea-82b7-f8b434507598.jpg (http://s77.photobucket.com/user/zelmo_2006/media/9ce89781-7997-45ea-82b7-f8b434507598.jpg.html)

Interesting, almost arbitrary distinctions they make here. Also interesting that I carried an entire frameset with separate (unbuilt) group back into the US from Switzerland a few years ago at a cost less that what the tarriff is for this one crankset....

Joachim
08-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Was it over $200? US customs is cracking down on e-tailers and even though it might be duty exempt they still add a % (I think 3) on goods over $200. Then the shipping company will add on it's fees. Us customs started doing this since USPS is supposed to collect duties but they were not really.

Read more here

http://aircitypost.com/ddu-explanation#why

OtayBW
08-28-2014, 09:28 AM
^
~$70 tariff on a $700 crank.

Joachim
08-28-2014, 09:31 AM
^
~$70 tariff on a $700 crank.

Which probably includes the customs % plus the fees from DHL. I recently paid around 8% on $385 from Probikekit. The customs % was only $1.10, the rest were clearing fees, etc etc. You must keep in mind that DHL, FedEX, UPS etc, charges a fee for determining if you must pay duties. This has nothing to do with the custom fees that US customs charges. Its their "administrative fee" and other fees (if you have to pay US customs fees). For example charging you for paying customs fees on your behalf before paying them.

zmudshark
08-28-2014, 09:31 AM
Anytime you use DHL/FDX/UPS, you're gonna get stung on duties. USPS, not so much.

PaulE
08-28-2014, 09:45 AM
I bet that you could prove that it is a "cotterless crank" and get your money back. There are obviously no cotters in it. Depends on how hard you want to pursue.

kokies
08-28-2014, 09:53 AM
This has been discussed at length here. http://forums.roadbikereview.com/hot-deals/pbk-wiggle-now-using-brokerages-fees-not-so-hot-deal-323375.html

I believe that ribble uses Royal mail and USPS which is current exempt from the brokerage fees.

tuscanyswe
08-28-2014, 10:01 AM
i Have been wondering why this hassent happend sooner tbh.

Imagine how many customers going abroad with their money instead of pursuing local or atleast domestic ways to get a hold of the desired product. Lots of money going to waist for the us shops.

Still count yourself lucky. We have approx 33% vat and duties on imports here. Even used stuff.

OtayBW
08-28-2014, 11:16 AM
Sorry - double post.

OtayBW
08-28-2014, 11:21 AM
I bet that you could prove that it is a "cotterless crank" and get your money back. There are obviously no cotters in it. Depends on how hard you want to pursue.You know, that's a really good point. Other good points about Wiggle (and others') use of DHL/UPS where they really get you. Think I'll discuss with our Logistics folks here at work for another opinion.

Bottom line: Wiggle is not looking so attractive now in hindsight.

rePhil
08-28-2014, 11:45 AM
Weird. I was impressed by a recent purchase. A pair of Campy Zondas. Ordered on a Sunday night, delivered tuesday afternoon. Free.

bluesea
08-28-2014, 11:56 AM
Same here on a set of Neutron Ultra, $74.xx. Surprised since I did not specify fast shipping.

jimoots
08-28-2014, 10:19 PM
I'm surprised your customs trigger is so low. We get up to $1000 in Australia.

Then again, you guys would cringe at how much stuff costs here. RRP is usually two times the price of stuff in the States or UK. We can get Shimano gear from Wiggle et al landed cheaper than a shop can buy wholesale from Shimano AU. That sorta stuff.

Traditional retail in Australia is having a hard time coming to grips with the internet. I suspect a much harder time than in the states.

ultraman6970
08-28-2014, 10:44 PM
op, i know regular mail takes a lot more time but if you use dhl/fedex/ups and whatever else you will get nailed by customs. They pay to a customs agency to get the stuff off "customs", they pay to the guy and they will collect the cash back from you then add some % for them and there it is, the nice bill that will let you pretty much closer if not over the retail price in the states.

Regular mail is the way to go, besides... usps is more transparent that these other companies at the time of asking duties fees for items.

velotrack
08-28-2014, 11:22 PM
I'm surprised your customs trigger is so low. We get up to $1000 in Australia.

Then again, you guys would cringe at how much stuff costs here. RRP is usually two times the price of stuff in the States or UK. We can get Shimano gear from Wiggle et al landed cheaper than a shop can buy wholesale from Shimano AU. That sorta stuff.

Traditional retail in Australia is having a hard time coming to grips with the internet. I suspect a much harder time than in the states.

Shimano stuff from them or merlincycles is often cheaper than QBP or shimano's direct site - in the US. Not just there.

jds108
08-28-2014, 11:41 PM
My recent Wiggle order generated a duty charge as well. I think that charge showed up about 3 weeks after the shipment.

I don't think I've ever gotten hit with duty when ordering from Ribble.

happycampyer
08-29-2014, 06:20 AM
Fwiw, going the other direction, I just sent a small package USPS registered (i.e., with tracking) to the UK, and it took only about 4 days to arrive. The postage was about $15. I was told at the time that it could take up to two weeks to arrive, so I was surprised how quickly it got there. Not sure if that is typical, or if the same is true of packages coming here.

jtolive
08-29-2014, 06:28 AM
In May bought DA wheels from Wiggle. Handed off to USPS - no extra charges. Same thing last Oct. on another order - handed off to USPS - no extra charges.

bcroslin
08-29-2014, 06:29 AM
I've bought cranks and a DA cassette and no duties fees from Ribble. I was wondering why they items arrived via USPS. Now I know.

phcollard
08-29-2014, 07:43 AM
I stopped using Wiggle because they may use DHL for larger boxes. And as you noticed they are a pain in the a..

I emailed Wiggle asking if I can specifiy Royal Mail (USPS) during the order process and they replied that they cannot garantee they will use them.

YMMV.

OtayBW
08-29-2014, 07:46 AM
I e-mailed Wiggle inquiring about this yesterday. We'll see what the response will be....

SlackMan
08-29-2014, 08:00 AM
It seems like a reasonable and legal strategy would be to break up orders into smaller ones that are each <$200. Is there any reason that would not work?

oldpotatoe
08-29-2014, 08:43 AM
Anybody know the 'rules' $ or threshold? Just did a buy from Assos and Rapha, CH and UK.

OtayBW
08-29-2014, 09:08 AM
I don't know the specific case(s) for your items, but they likely fall somewhere in Chapters 58-62 of the HTS (http://hts.usitc.gov/). As a frame of reference, all things bicycle fall more specifically into Chapter 87, Sections 8712.00 through 8714.99. You'll have to look up your particular items and see what they're subject to. Good luck (and I mean that with some sarcasm...:))

Joachim
08-29-2014, 09:16 AM
In May bought DA wheels from Wiggle. Handed off to USPS - no extra charges. Same thing last Oct. on another order - handed off to USPS - no extra charges.

That doesn't always work. I bought from probikekit, they ship via Dhl and then Dhl hands it off the USPS. Still had to pay duties before it was released from customs and handed off to USPS by Dhl.

zmudshark
08-29-2014, 09:22 AM
Anybody know the 'rules' $ or threshold? Just did a buy from Assos and Rapha, CH and UK.Technically, clothing is subject to duty.

raygunner
08-29-2014, 12:39 PM
I purchased a few Campy items from Wiggle recently. I think the bill was like $600. They delivered super fast using DHL.

A few days later I received a custom duties bill from DHL for about $60, roughly 10% of my total bill.

It pretty much negated any savings from my order.

Too bad they don't sell Campy at Duty Free!!

bluesea
08-29-2014, 01:16 PM
My Neutron Ultra at $699 with free shipping plus the $74.xx tariff, still came in with a nice savings. Wiggle is now doing the Ultras at $665.xx. Too bad about the lackadaisical shipping methods. I've gotten cassettes packed in 18" boxes.

http://www.wiggle.com/campagnolo-neutron-ultra-clincher-road-bike-wheelset/

zmudshark
08-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Ribble has Neutrons for $667/shipped. Last set of wheels I ordered from them came via USPS and no duties, took less than a week to AZ.

Rada
08-29-2014, 02:34 PM
Technically, clothing is subject to duty.

Yes and historically textiles have some of the highest duty rates in the HTS.

DarkStar
08-29-2014, 02:49 PM
Weird. I was impressed by a recent purchase. A pair of Campy Zondas. Ordered on a Sunday night, delivered tuesday afternoon. Free.
Same purchase, same experience three weeks back.

Keith A
08-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Just ordered some chains from PBK. All my orders from them in the past have been duty free...we'll see about this one.

Marburg
08-29-2014, 07:45 PM
To hijack just a little. Anyone care to extrapolate to frames (or even bikes!) from the UK. I have my eye on a couple of UK builders ...

axel23
08-29-2014, 08:06 PM
I was dinged by a freight forwarded used by PBK, but PBK refunded the difference. Very sporting of them.

OtayBW
12-02-2014, 08:59 PM
UPDATE and RESOLUTION

I finally got a resolution from DHL who had been billing me for some time to pay the tariff for this crankset that I bought from Wiggle. You may recall from above that DHL incorrectly classified the crank and charged me an inappropriate tariff. After >3 months now, they finally agreed to reclassify the crank and withdraw the tariff. Not bad! :banana:

Dear Mr. BW,

Re: Custom Duty Invoice D04xxxx1 - $74.75

Thank you for the opportunity to review the above invoice. Please be advised that we have made the necessary correction and issued an adjustment to clear this invoice in our systems. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Please contact me should you have any questions pertaining to this dispute case.