PDA

View Full Version : Black or silver hubs?

dvancleve
08-27-2014, 02:42 PM
Howdy folks,

I am going to order some hubs today. The rims I have are black and the spokes are silver, should I get black or silver hubs? Black seems to be most common now (popular), maybe nice to go with silver? There are good odds the wheels won't be keepers, so I am curious which folks prefer...

Thanks, Doug

dustyrider
08-27-2014, 06:58 PM
Not sure. Depends on the overall color scheme. Silver seems to look cleaner without as much cleaning.

berserk87
08-27-2014, 07:28 PM
Silver hubs look better to me, especially when they are polished ala Chris King. The best looking hubs that I can recall are the old Velomax hubs (I think Easton bought this company). I don't care for the black hubs so much.

seppa
08-27-2014, 08:07 PM
Silver is the way to go if the rims are black, and black hubs only look good with silver rims.

Cat3roadracer
08-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Silver. Done.

eBAUMANN
08-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Silver. Done.

Yup, matching spokes and hubs is pretty much always the way to go (when dealing with silver and black).

josephr
08-28-2014, 09:16 AM
black hub/silver spoke/black rim combo always a classy look...

chiasticon
08-28-2014, 09:24 AM
black/black/black seems to be the trend nowadays. kinda depends on what bike they're going on too i guess. right now, i'm really into the silver hubs/silver spokes/carbon rims look. but i feel like i'm in the minority. if they were mine and there's a good chance i'd be selling, i'd go black/black/black.

holliscx
08-28-2014, 10:03 AM
Black / silver / black looks balanced

Rim / spokes / hub - I would go with black

Black spokes also look good but the wheel reads heavier (visually); chrome spokes look classic with a black rim + hub.

Gsinill
08-28-2014, 10:10 AM
+1

Since I am just building up a black/silver/black set blessed by my wife for her new bike.
And she obviously has excellent taste ;)

Black / silver / black looks balanced

... chrome spokes look classic with a black rim + hub.

juanj
08-28-2014, 11:04 AM
Depends on the rest of the bike, but I would go with silver hubs--it's "classic." In fact, I recently had a set of wheels built for me: White Industries hubs, Sapim spokes, DT rims. The DT rims only came in black, so that was my starting point. I then opted for silver spokes and a silver hubs. I think the wheels look really good, and not too blingy.

dvancleve
08-28-2014, 02:03 PM
Thanks guys.

The bike they might go on has a mix of black and silver parts. I already have the rims (black) and spokes (silver/SS). I think maybe silver hubs differentiate them a bit more from pre-builts, seems like black hubs are more common than silver these days...

Doug

Edit: I ended up doing this, think it came out pretty well. Bonus that the skewers are black...
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i229/dvancleve/86d23c30-e1c9-4bdf-ac45-ccebc7297751.jpg