PDA

View Full Version : Fixed & 10 sp. drop-outs...

catulle
03-06-2006, 07:01 AM
Please excuse my ignorance, but why are the drop-outs on fixed and single gear bikes different than on 10 speed bicycles? That is, on fixed bikes drop-outs are open to the back, so to speak; and on 10 speed bikes they open to the front or down (vertical). Why the difference?

Also, fixed bikes, from what I can tell from the pictures I see here, almost never have quick-release levers. Is there a reason for this? I understand why 10 speed bicycles are the way they are, I just don't understand why fixed and single gear bikes must be different.

I have in mind to have a single speed bicycle made some time in the future but I'd like it to have skeewers and vertical drop-outs. Any reason why it shouldn't?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

zank
03-06-2006, 07:15 AM
The frame ends on a track bike or fixed gear bike are horizontal to allow chain tension adjustment. They face rearward so that you can not pull the wheel out if it slips forward under hard pedalling.

Nuts are used in place of quick-releases because a quick realease usually can not hold tight enough.

Vertical dropouts in themselves do not allow chain tensioning without using some type of tensioner or an eccentric BB. The eccentric bottom bracket is a great solution, and is used on single speed mountain bikes. This allows the rider to use vertical dropouts and disk brakes.

catulle
03-06-2006, 07:21 AM
Thank you a lot, Zank. Now I understand and even have a solution (the excentric bb). Great.

zank
03-06-2006, 07:23 AM
My pleasure.

CNY rider
03-06-2006, 07:42 AM
So how does the eccentric BB maintain tension on the chain?

zank
03-06-2006, 07:54 AM
The aluminum insert rotates in the large shell. The BB itself is off-center in the insert. As the insert rotates, tension is adjusted. The insert is then locked down with the set screws. There are other styles, such as Bushnell's, which uses an expanding wedge to lock it down. But, I think the Phil Wood Eccentric looks the best. Absolute top quality, just like everything else Phil Wood.

Tailwinds
03-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Can you use a wheel w/a quick-release if you have an eccentric BB?

zank
03-06-2006, 07:59 AM
I have seen guys who are running fixed-gear moutain bikes with an EBB and disks use a quick release and vertical dropouts. Seemed to hold tight enough.

manet
03-06-2006, 09:55 AM
and then there is this:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/white-hubs.html

i believe our man Dude uses this with much success.

zank
03-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Good call, manet. I completely forgot about ENO. Another great solution.

catulle
03-06-2006, 10:58 AM
On the same line of thought (and two solutions in hand), I have noticed that the design of most traditional fixed/single gear drop-outs (horizontal, pointing backwards) is rather plain/dull/flat; I wonder therefore if there are variations to that configuration which are more aesthetically interesting/pleasing.

The idea of a single gear Terraplane with flat moustache-like bars is fluttering inside my skull. I still have to find brake lever options. Actually, I don't know which brake system I'd prefer.

All input would be greatly appreciated.

flydhest
03-06-2006, 11:06 AM
look at Vanilla Bicycles websits for aesthetically pleasing track ends. On my fixie, I have the polished stainless steel track ends with the V logo cut out.

Yummy.

catulle
03-06-2006, 11:17 AM
look at Vanilla Bicycles websits for aesthetically pleasing track ends. On my fixie, I have the polished stainless steel track ends with the V logo cut out.

Yummy.

You're killing me. That's exactly where I didn't want to go. Every time I see a picture of a Vanilla bicycle my grey matter melts a little. Sacha's work is outstanding. I mean, significantly great.

However, I have deposits on three makers at the present time. The moment I seriously start thinking about a fourth one, I'll have to make an appointment at the loony bin.

Thank you for the picture, though.

Tailwinds
03-06-2006, 12:00 PM

Yummy.

Yes, yummy is right.