PDA

View Full Version : Hit and Run, while touring, no injury

nopotholes
08-26-2014, 08:04 PM
I recently was involved in a hit and run while touring in Washington state (I live in Cali). My group was harassed by a vehicle; yelled at, slapped and then hit (by side mirror). The police were notified came out and took a report of the general description. Eventually, we were able to get the license plate number as we ran in to the same vehicle again. I was able to relay the info to the police department. I followed up when I was able to get signal, received one call to notify me that the detective in charge had received my message concerning the license plate number and since have heard nothing.

Curious if anyone has experienced a similar situation and wondering what to expect.

rustychisel
08-26-2014, 08:09 PM
have heard nothing.
..... and wondering what to expect.

It sounds like your expectations are being fulfilled. Doubt the cop gives a damn for out of state cyclists.

And you: if a prosecution was launched would you travel back up there to be a witness?

Louis
08-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Curious if anyone has experienced a similar situation and wondering what to expect.

In my case (this was about 20 years ago) there was zero interest on the part of the police to try to track down the truck that hit me, even though I had a description (truck pulling horse trailer), probable location (polo tournament field) and license plate (provided by another driver who came back to give it to me).

Good luck - it may take significant effort on your part if you want anything other than apathy from the local PD.

nopotholes
08-26-2014, 08:18 PM
And you: if a prosecution was launched would you travel back up there to be a witness?

I think I would, especially if I could turn it into a bike adventure.