PDA

View Full Version : Wireless cycle computers

Big Jim
03-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Has anyone had experience with wireless computers...I have used a avocet (wired) for 10 years but it is about shot, I see a lot of current computers are wireless but I recall when they first came out that some people complained they did not work that well. Any thoughts or knowledge will be appreciated.

nobrakes
03-05-2006, 07:40 PM
I like the Catlike cd300. I've used other wireless computers, like Axium and previous Catlike models that had the magnet on the front wheel, but they always interfered with my heartrate monitor. The Catlike works off the rear wheel, which I like, does cadence,(even totals my pedal revs), and doesn't interfere with my Cardiosport HRM. Rear wheel sensors are great for using with resistance trainers, also. Hi-voltage overhead electrical wires don't seem to affect it, either.

CNY rider
03-05-2006, 07:43 PM
I have a Specialized from a couple of years ago. Can't remember the exact model name but it's one with an altimeter.

I'm a satisfied customer. I bought extra mounting kits for it so I can pass it around between the 3 road bikes. It has always worked flawlessly for me. Battery life is good, with first battery change after 2 years of use.

I don't wear a HRM, so I"m not sure if it plays well with others.

zank
03-05-2006, 08:52 PM
I love my Polar CS200cad. One of the best-designed pieces of kit I have ever used.

jwb96
03-05-2006, 08:52 PM
My Vetta (with cadence) has worked okay, but I also don't use an HRM so I'm not sure about interference. But wireless is just plain cool and prettier - what else do you need to know?

Sheldon4209
03-05-2006, 08:53 PM
I have had two wireless computers on the back of the tandem. I don't recomend the Vetta as it ate batteries which were difficult to change, it was difficult to scroll thought the features, and died after two years of use. I replaced the Vetta with a Cateye and after six months I like the Cateye much better. Don't know about battery life on the Cateye and heart rate monitor interference on either computer.
Sheldon

Jeff N.
03-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Topeam V-12 Panoram. Very nice. Jeff N.

davids
03-06-2006, 08:46 AM
I've got the Cateye CD300, too. I bought it for two reasons - Wireless, and rear-wheel cadance. It's got a ton of features I've never even tried to figure out!

My only complaint is that it tends to eat batteries. And it does interfere with my friend's Polar HR monitor - We can't ride too closely or he appears to go into cardiac arrest.

Skrawny
03-06-2006, 10:32 AM
I agree with zank, I am very happy with my Polar CS200cad (once I got it to stop beeping every time I moved...) I have not hooked up the cadence option.
-r

Bud
03-06-2006, 10:41 AM
I have the Vetta V100HR wireless w/cadence. It does seem to eat batteries as others have mentioned, but I don't think that they're difficult to change. The HR function works well and I don't notice any type of interference, etc though it freaks out when the batteries are low. It has a nice HR and cadence memory function as well. In short, it suits my needs fine, is clean on the bike, and fairly economical (I saw one the other day for $100, normally about $125). Two friends of mine who have the same computer have had problems with theirs, though (sp. the cadence transmitter).

CT Rider
03-06-2006, 11:45 AM
I also have the Cateye CD300 (actually two of them, one on my Serotta and the other on my Litespeed). I like the operation but did have a problem with one of my transmitters dying. Sent it to Cateye and received a complete replacement CD300 unit within a period of 4 working days at no charge!

I would go Cateye Wireless again in a second.

MarcusPless
03-06-2006, 02:04 PM
I've got a Garmin Forerunner 301, which can be used for cycling, running, hiking, pedometer for walking, etc. I don't use the included heart rate monitor, but it's there for the people that do. As a bike computer it requires no calibration for wheel size; just turn it on and go. The main thing I like to use it for is data logging. When I get home I can plug it into my PC and upload the data over the USB cable and I've got a nice view of the route I've just ridden, overlayed onto a street map, along with graphs showing climbing, speed, etc. It's overkill, but it is a neat toy.

While it's ridiculously expensive when you compare it to a $20 bike computer (or NO bike computer) it starts to look handier if you consider the ease with which it will move between bikes and the other applications, like running, walking, hiking, etc.

--Marcus