PDA

View Full Version : Do ya think someone is hoarding Serotta decals?

eddief
08-25-2014, 11:21 PM
Seems there must be a big stash in someone's garage. One of those fine businessmen who helped Ben retire.

I see a few vendors selling copies on the web but would probably prefer originals for my newest Fierte IT.

jtakeda
08-26-2014, 12:17 AM
Uhhhh no. If you're asking if someone is hoarding decals to flip for a profit down the line. No.

If you're asking if someone has decals they took from the shop before it closed I'm sure the answer is yes. Finding the person might be hard because it's most likely someone who isn't well known and doesn't care if they get found out stealing a few serotta decals

eddief
08-26-2014, 08:05 AM
the guys that were connected to factory before they shut the doors. Where'd all the existing stock go afterwards?

Uhhhh no. If you're asking if someone is hoarding decals to flip for a profit down the line. No.

If you're asking if someone has decals they took from the shop before it closed I'm sure the answer is yes. Finding the person might be hard because it's most likely someone who isn't well known and doesn't care if they get found out stealing a few serotta decals

buldogge
08-26-2014, 09:07 AM
A guy was selling quite a few sets on eBay after the closure.

I bought (3)…these were all top-mount for Ti frames.

SSSink was the OE source, I believe, so anyone with an SSSink account should be able to procure them for you…see their list of frame builders and painters on their site.

-Mark in St. Louis

jtakeda
08-26-2014, 10:26 AM
the guys that were connected to factory before they shut the doors. Where'd all the existing stock go afterwards?

Ah ok.

When I read "hoarding" it made me instantly think of someone trying to grab all of the stock to create an artificial scarcity.

I'd imagine some respected painters have some. Maybe try some ex serotta builders/painters.

If they don't have them I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

Idris Icabod
08-26-2014, 10:45 AM
I'd imagine some respected painters have some. Maybe try some ex serotta builders/painters.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I would contact the guy on here, forget his name, BMac or something, wasn't he the paint guy at Serotta for a long time before going solo? I bet he could sort you out.

Dave Wages
08-26-2014, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about this, anyone who needs Serotta decals can contact Gary Prange at Screen Specialties, they make decals for almost everyone in the bike industry and he keeps some on file there for folks who are refinishing their bikes.

campy man
08-26-2014, 10:58 AM
+1 on SSSink but not sure if you can get without a re-paint.

RedRider
08-26-2014, 11:19 AM
With current graphics and computer technology it's relatively easy to duplicate decals so there are a few sources.
Hoarding decals? lol... with the ridiculously low prices of even NOS Serotta frames why pay up for a decal when for a little more you can get the whole bike!

pjmsj21
08-26-2014, 03:46 PM
Not to hijack the post, but I am getting ready to order some for my Concours from Velocal. As it is bare ti, removal is easy. But they offer 2mil versions for $32ish and 1 mil version for $52ish. Is there any reason to go with the pricier version?

I sent them an email and did not get a response.

TIA

David Kirk
08-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Most any high end bike painter will have them or can get/make them. No reason to stockpile the decals.

As an aside - I'm guessing a HUGE amount of treasure was lost in the year or two before the company went under and shortly thereafter.

When the ship is sinking and money and jobs are being lost very few folks will think "save the tubes/lugs/drops/build sheets/decals.....etc". In the end I would venture to guess a lot of treasure hit the dumpster.

dave

unterhausen
08-26-2014, 09:07 PM
I have a friend that worked at a plant where the work got moved to China, but the equipment mostly went in the dumpster. He was afraid to skip work because a batch of expensive stuff would go in the dumpster every day.

I have a hoard of old frame tubing decals from the '70s. Have no idea where they are though :)