PDA

View Full Version : front derailleur compatibility

vqdriver
08-25-2014, 03:33 PM
with the shimano front derailleurs getting the super high cable mount and campy following suit, i wonder if they require a shifter to pull more cable. or can you use existing levers and mix and match with older/newer front mechs??

lhuerta
08-25-2014, 03:36 PM
...Campagnolo 2015 shifters will not be backward compatible with older ders, nor will older shifters work with 2015 ders.

Here is a good chart outlining the issue:

http://glorycycles.blogspot.com/2014/08/campagnolo-2015-mechanical-group.html

oldpotatoe
08-25-2014, 03:37 PM
with the shimano front derailleurs getting the super high cable mount and campy following suit, i wonder if they require a shifter to pull more cable. or can you use existing levers and mix and match with older/newer front mechs??

no for shimano..9000/6800/5800 are intercompatible but nothing outside of that, FD or shifter wise.

Campagnolo..the 2015 SR/Record/Chorus are optimized with the new 2015 fder but I'm guessing, with Campagnolo top 3 groups, ratcheting friction..any Fder will work. I'm also guessing the 2015 Campagnolo fders will make older fder shifting better..but I really don't know.

For the post right above..yep, that's the company line but they said 10s rear ders wouldn't work with 9s shifters and 11s rear ders wouldn't work with 10s shifters so...I'd say try it first to see. Probably the rear ders are not compatible with 2014/older shifters but the fder....

and before all moan about that..that's exactly what shimano did with 11s..