PDA

View Full Version : Kevlar spoke to the rescue

schwa86
08-24-2014, 06:36 PM
As the somewhat over-prepared guy in my cycling group, I bought a kevlar spoke for the saddle back a couple of months ago -- today one of my buddies snapped a spoke, and I have to say the thing worked like a charm -- don't think he could have ridden bike home otherwise. $12 well spent...

Louis
08-24-2014, 06:48 PM
Cool. Rear wheel? Was it drive or non-drive side?

How long did it take you to remove the old spoke then put the emergency one in?

schwa86
08-24-2014, 08:28 PM
Rear, drive side. We couldn't get the spoke out of the hub because of the sprocket, but instructions said to loop it around the flange end of the next most proximate spoke. The whole thing took about five minutes. Can't say the rim was perfectly true, but wasn't rubbing the brakes and got him 11 miles back home. A nifty little gadget.

Louis
08-24-2014, 08:56 PM
We couldn't get the spoke out of the hub because of the sprocket, but instructions said to loop it around the flange end of the next most proximate spoke.

Interesting - this is exactly the situation I was wondering about, and how one would deal with that problem.

Most of my wheels have enough spokes that I can handle loosing one, but if I were doing an unsupported tour I'd definitely get one of these gadgets.

rippledabs
08-24-2014, 10:13 PM
can you link what you used? I never seen one before.

CunegoFan
08-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Wow. I am surprised those things work. I firgured they worked as well as X-Ray specs sold in the back of comic books.

schwa86
08-25-2014, 05:28 AM
This is a good link -- I looked about like the guy in the instructions. Per the earlier email, we had to do the thing at the bottom...

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fiberfix.asp

eddief
08-25-2014, 08:05 AM
have not had to use it yet, but could come in handy when no bike shop is around. Enables getting the cassette off to get to drive side spokes.

http://www.amazon.com/Stein-Mini-Cassette-Lockring-Driver/dp/B001GSSCAU