PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on new wheels

8aaron8
08-24-2014, 05:36 PM
I know threads like this come up every so often, but I would like some opinions on new wheels.

Currently I have 2 set of 10spd wheels:

American Classic sprint 350: light weight but the rear hub is garbage and to be honest I feel that with my 130lbs I lose speed quick going down hills and when not pedaling.

Dura ace 7700 32f&r sapim race spokes velocity a23 rims. This wheel set is in many ways perfect to me. I built them up about a year ago and love the feel of the 23mm wide rim. The wheels are not as light as the american classic's (maybe 450g more) but I definitely maintain speed better going down hills and when not pedaling.

The reason I'm wanting a new wheel set is because I have 3 road frames with only 2 sets of wheels, and personally the american classic hub pisses me off. With that said I am conflicted on some choices.

Stock wheel sets:

First I am considering the dura ace c24's, they seem to be getting some great reviews and I have never had a "modern" set of wheels. Downside is spoke replacement and rim replacement.

Velocity a23 pro build, they are a respectable weight and the rim has been great to me so far. Cheaper than the dura ace and wider rims.

My other options would all be custom builds, trying to figure out hubs and rims.

Rims:

I liked the a23's they build up nice and straight and you can get the tensions pretty high, plus the OC rear really helps the stiffness of the rear wheel. There are of course small quality control problems, such as the welded seem and debris in the spoke holes.

My next thought were the pacenti pl23's, everyone seems to believe these are nicer than the a23's, but I have never built or seen them in person.

Hubs:

Love dura ace hubs, but want to try something different.

Considering these options:
White Industries
Tune

So what are your thoughts? If I go the custom route I will build with cx Ray spokes and probably 24/20 spoke count with my wispy weight.

kramnnim
08-24-2014, 05:46 PM
I put ~20k on a set of AC 350s, didn't notice a lot of drag from the rear hub...there's just one little spring to cause friction.

Also had a set of 7850 C24s, they were nice, not as comfortable as the mushy 350s. Not Campy compatible so they got sold...

Currently using Enve 3.4's with White Ind. T11 hubs, no complaints. Can't help with the rims...

(I'm ~10-15 pounds heavier than you)

8aaron8
08-24-2014, 06:02 PM
Thanks, my American classics are from 2005, so the hub is in real need of a complete overhaul. They stay true under me just fine, no issues there. Eventually I will buy the parts to rebuild the hubs, but I don't like how finicky they are .

I put ~20k on a set of AC 350s, didn't notice a lot of drag from the rear hub...there's just one little spring to cause friction.

Also had a set of 7850 C24s, they were nice, not as comfortable as the mushy 350s. Not Campy compatible so they got sold...

Currently using Enve 3.4's with White Ind. T11 hubs, no complaints. Can't help with the rims...

(I'm ~10-15 pounds heavier than you)

oldpotatoe
08-24-2014, 06:46 PM
I know threads like this come up every so often, but I would like some opinions on new wheels.

Currently I have 2 set of 10spd wheels:

American Classic sprint 350: light weight but the rear hub is garbage and to be honest I feel that with my 130lbs I lose speed quick going down hills and when not pedaling.

Dura ace 7700 32f&r sapim race spokes velocity a23 rims. This wheel set is in many ways perfect to me. I built them up about a year ago and love the feel of the 23mm wide rim. The wheels are not as light as the american classic's (maybe 450g more) but I definitely maintain speed better going down hills and when not pedaling.

The reason I'm wanting a new wheel set is because I have 3 road frames with only 2 sets of wheels, and personally the american classic hub pisses me off. With that said I am conflicted on some choices.

Stock wheel sets:

First I am considering the dura ace c24's, they seem to be getting some great reviews and I have never had a "modern" set of wheels. Downside is spoke replacement and rim replacement.

Velocity a23 pro build, they are a respectable weight and the rim has been great to me so far. Cheaper than the dura ace and wider rims.

My other options would all be custom builds, trying to figure out hubs and rims.

Rims:

I liked the a23's they build up nice and straight and you can get the tensions pretty high, plus the OC rear really helps the stiffness of the rear wheel. There are of course small quality control problems, such as the welded seem and debris in the spoke holes.

My next thought were the pacenti pl23's, everyone seems to believe these are nicer than the a23's, but I have never built or seen them in person.

Hubs:

Love dura ace hubs, but want to try something different.

Considering these options:
White Industries
Tune

So what are your thoughts? If I go the custom route I will build with cx Ray spokes and probably 24/20 spoke count with my wispy weight.

DT hubs, either 350 or 240
DT 440 rims...OC rear and wide
White hubs are growing on me

kramnnim
08-24-2014, 07:11 PM
The hubs are pretty easy to take apart, you just need the...19mm? cone wrench. Check your serial # against the recall, there was one around that time.

Surprised your braking surface is still good! Worst part about my wheels...well, that and how the spoke nipples like to freeze and round off before coming loose. (made it hard to redish when I swapped to Campy) People like to hate on the hubs, I'm never sure why. Have them on my MTB and I have a set of 420s as well that I don't use...

Ralph
08-24-2014, 07:38 PM
I recently bought a set of Campagnolo Zonda clinchers (non two way) for around $400. I wouldn't swap them for anything you can put together for twice that amount of money. Love the no rim strip feature. But I'm a Campy guy. Wanted something with fewer spokes than my 32 hole Records and Centaurs. BTW....I weigh around 155. On Zonda's the tires go on so easy with your fingers....even new tire right out of package.

Also like Shimano C35's for all around use. I'm a fan of wheels designed around idea rear hub and rim needs to be designed different and stronger than front, with a few more spokes. I like idea of more spokes on drive side. OC rim and bigger flange on non drive side. If I wanted to go tubular, would use a carbon rim probably.

I wasn't looking to go cheap, it's just I couldn't find anything better for what I wanted them for....all around use. Also had CK hubs and White Ind on my list, with all the popular rims mentioned above. Have a terrific wheel builder in our area as well who can build anything I want, any way I want....any kind of hubs, spokes, rims, etc. She can also true and fix any wheel you have. (also wheel chairs, motorcycle wheels, old cars with spoke wheels) Some great products and wheel builders out there. Not knocking any of them.

merckx
08-24-2014, 08:09 PM
440 rims, duraace hubs, pick a spoke, veloflex tires, nothing to hold you back, enjoy!

Ozrider
08-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Pacenti or HED Belgium rims on Chris King hubs

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Colnago Dream,

bcroslin
08-24-2014, 08:18 PM
I own the DA C-24's. Great wheels. Light, spin up quick and seem to take abuse pretty well. My all-around favorites.

I've owned A23's laced to DT-240's and they were bomb proof. I grudgingly sold them with a complete bike and I instantly regretted it.

I'm in the process of having a set of new wheels built and I'm going with White Industries T11's. Everyone I know building or buying Enves seems to go with the WI over every other hub including CK's. My wheel builder likes them because they don't need special tools to maintain them.

bcroslin
08-24-2014, 08:23 PM

Just the fact that Kirk will pop up in these threads to talk about his wheels in an objective way comparing them to the other stuff on the market has always impressed me. Given the choice, I'd probably try a set of sl23's.

Anyone have any opinions on the fit and finish of the Velocity stuff since they moved to Jacksonville?

8aaron8
08-24-2014, 09:51 PM
A few months back I took the hub completely apart to try and clean and adjust it. I looked online and found the recall information and my hub is one of the ones that was recalled. I never went about asking if they would warranty the hub, it just seemed too old to ask. The braking surface is wore down pretty well, so these wheels are definitely on their way out. My nipples are frozen as well, so hopefully they remain true.

The hubs are pretty easy to take apart, you just need the...19mm? cone wrench. Check your serial # against the recall, there was one around that time.

Surprised your braking surface is still good! Worst part about my wheels...well, that and how the spoke nipples like to freeze and round off before coming loose. (made it hard to redish when I swapped to Campy) People like to hate on the hubs, I'm never sure why. Have them on my MTB and I have a set of 420s as well that I don't use...

8aaron8
08-24-2014, 09:52 PM
One of the reasons white industries was on my list was the ease of adjustment and the fact that it has a titanium free hub body, being that I use shimano I think that might be important.

Haven't looked into dt rims, I guess its time to do that

kramnnim
08-24-2014, 10:23 PM
They would probably send you a new cam plate upon request...I was never able to tell the difference between the good and bad ones. Considering you've nearly worn out the wheels and nothing went wrong, it might not be worth the phone call...lol.

And yeah, the ti fh body would be a great plus over alloy...you see so many used wheels for sale with ugly notched up alloy splines.

8aaron8
08-24-2014, 11:56 PM
From what I recall there was a clip inside the free hub body that had a particular shape, one shape was good the other was bad, I have the bad one. Couldn't hurt to call though, I would be stoked if they sent me the cam body.

Any big differences between 7900 c24 and 9000 c24's, aside from the 11spd deal?