PDA

View Full Version : Shoe and pedal advice.

idreamt...
08-22-2014, 05:21 PM
Hello,

My current setup is Look S-Track pedals and Chrome MidWay Pro w/ 2 hole cleats. Great for around town, but they don't breathe well. I really like the pedals, and I can walk anywhere with the recessed cleats on the Chrome's.

I'm starting to put together a proper riding kit, and want to get a set of proper cycling shoes.

My question is, should I get 2hole MTN bike shoes (I like the Fizik M)?
Or proper 3 hole road shoes and new pedals, requiring me to swap out the pedals depending on what kind of ride I'm doing?

What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

notsew
08-22-2014, 05:58 PM
I went through this same debate when I got into wanting a proper set up. I'll spare you the details, but in the end, the problem turned out to be insurmountable so I went ahead and bought a second bike and put platforms on it. Problem solved.

I think most cycling related problems can be solved with another bike. Right?

Admiral Ackbar
08-22-2014, 05:59 PM
unless you are riding off road or walking off the bike a lot, i say 3 hole spd sl. i was on regular spds + mtn shoes on my road bike until just a few months ago and finally got myself some proper road shoes and pedals, it was long overdue. much more comfortable for longer rides with more surface area contact on the cleat-to-shoe interface and well as pedal-to-cleat. no more hot spots or foot discomfort for me. the extra adjustably is much welcomed.

and despite what i heard some people say, i do not find (shimano) road cleats hard to walk around with at all, unless its on sand/dirt/gravel.

Dead Man
08-22-2014, 06:02 PM
I also recently did the mental math on this one, and concluded the best thing to do is just change out the pedals to suit my mission. I don't want to compromise on a road pedal/shoe when I need a road pedal/shoe, and I don't want to be relegated to my cross bike every time I want to use the bike as a vehicle.

Swapping pedals out is easy, and doesn't force you to compromise.

rippledabs
08-22-2014, 06:59 PM
I vote for either Shimano road pedals with 3-hole shoes.

Or Speedplay pedals with a pair of these badboys

http://www.keeponkovers.com/Product.html

But, for some reason, high end mountain shoes goes on sale more often than high end road shoes. So, I think it's just a matter of finding the right deal in your size.

pbarry
08-22-2014, 07:04 PM
I also recently did the mental math on this one, and concluded the best thing to do is just change out the pedals to suit my mission. I don't want to compromise on a road pedal/shoe when I need a road pedal/shoe, and I don't want to be relegated to my cross bike every time I want to use the bike as a vehicle.

Swapping pedals out is easy, and doesn't force you to compromise.

I'm not a fan of frequent pedal changes. Results in multiple torque stress on the pedal threads and crank arm/pedal axle interface. YMMV, but I've seen failures on alloy and carbon cranks at that point.

tiretrax
08-22-2014, 07:04 PM
Welcome to the forum.

The type of riding you plan to do and the amount of off bike activity are probably the best determinants. If you plan to do a lot of stopping and walking, a mountain bike shoe would probably be best. If you don't, go for a road shoe and pedal - they will be more efficient and comfrotable over longer distances due to the larger platform. There are plenty of great shoes out their that will give you breathability.

Bradford
08-22-2014, 07:44 PM
I just swapped out my last pair of road pedals, I now have Frogs on all my bikes. One pair of winter shoes, one pair of summer shoes, and they work on all my bikes. I don't race, I don't do fast group rides, and don't mind a few extra grams for the treads. I do, however, have plenty of times when I find shoes with treads a big advantage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cinema
08-22-2014, 08:22 PM
I went ahead and bought a second bike and put platforms on it. Problem solved.

This.

Dead Man
08-22-2014, 08:39 PM
I'm not a fan of frequent pedal changes. Results in multiple torque stress on the pedal threads and crank arm/pedal axle interface. YMMV, but I've seen failures on alloy and carbon cranks at that point.

I never torque my pedals - little grease, hand tight, then one light cinch with the allen. Subsequently never have to break out the breaker bar to get my pedals off!

eddief
08-22-2014, 08:45 PM
Huge selection of good off road shoes, the Frogs are light enough, two sided and work well...at least for me, and you can walk in em easily. 4 road bikes, 4 pairs of Frogs, one pair o shoes.

I just swapped out my last pair of road pedals, I now have Frogs on all my bikes. One pair of winter shoes, one pair of summer shoes, and they work on all my bikes. I don't race, I don't do fast group rides, and don't mind a few extra grams for the treads. I do, however, have plenty of times when I find shoes with treads a big advantage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ralph
08-22-2014, 08:49 PM
A couple of the guys I regularly ride with, who are really good endurance long distance riders, who do several day tours riding a 100 miles or so a day, use 2 hole SPD cleats on Specialized Road shoes for two hole cleats. Although these shoes not as light as high end road shoes, they look similar. It doesn't seem to hold them back. And I don't hear them complain about foot issues. My wife uses the same. They say they like them for the walking feature. And they are a lot cheaper.

I use 3 hole Keo 11, and just use cleat covers for any walking (hobbling) I do. I'm not much into riding then walking around.

My point is....I prefer 3 hole cleats and higher end light riding shoes. But if you want to do some riding, then walking around, I see nothing wrong with 2 hole SPD cleats on the best road 2 hole shoes you can find.

moose8
08-22-2014, 09:03 PM
For me I find the walkability of mountain shoes to really win out. But my road shoes are way lighter without any treads but I find I never use them. If you went crank brothers you can use road shoes with their cleat adapter but you don't get the nice big platform of solid road pedals.

Whatever you do I'd recommend upgrading the insole for comfort - things like sole or super feet can really make any shoe a lot more comfortable for riding.

pbarry
08-22-2014, 09:50 PM
I never torque my pedals - little grease, hand tight, then one light cinch with the allen. Subsequently never have to break out the breaker bar to get my pedals off!

Ever worked in a shop? These are common occurrences. Having to remove over-torqued pedals, installing pedals on soft alloy cranks, figuring out how to tell a repeat customer that their carbon cranks have a pedal thread insert that is shot.

idreamt...
08-22-2014, 11:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the great feedback!

I think at the bottom of it, I don't want my Chrome shoes, and S-track's to have been a waste of money. What I really want is a pair of Fizik R3's and some nice Look Keo's. I have a Chrome bag I can cary regular shoes in if I'm riding to work, or even flip flops if I don't want to scratch someones floors while hanging out on weekends.

Sounds like I should get some 3 bolts and new pedals, and just be done with it.

Thanks again everyone.