PDA

View Full Version : Need a few suggestions - new bike

civdic
08-22-2014, 09:16 AM
I was hoping to get some guidance on a new bike.

I recently sold my Moots RSL on the classifieds because of repeated surgery from a tumour discovered in my wrist a few years back. I can't ride drop bars anymore and I'm looking for a more upright positioned bike maybe a nice urban or city bike.

I'm aware the feel and speed along with efficiency is join to change going from the RSL to a more upright style bike.

My budget is around $3000. I would love some input and some brands and models I should be looking at.

So far I've tried:
Linus (felt cheap)
Shinola Runwell (fantastic feeling bike, top of my budget, Waterford built)
Shinola Bixby (Nice bike, only three speed, Waterford built)
BMC Alpenchallenge (aggressive closest to my RSL, maybe too aggressive)

I'm planning to use it for commuting and cruising around town, but I would also like to be able to do a 20 - 30 mile ride on it as well.

Let em know what other flat bar/riser bar type bikes I should be looking at.

tiretrax
08-22-2014, 10:04 AM
Trek District? Yeah, I know it's a Trek.
How about a ti newsboy? Something from BlackSheep?

oldpotatoe
08-22-2014, 10:14 AM
I was hoping to get some guidance on a new bike.

I recently sold my Moots RSL on the classifieds because of repeated surgery from a tumour discovered in my wrist a few years back. I can't ride drop bars anymore and I'm looking for a more upright positioned bike maybe a nice urban or city bike.

I'm aware the feel and speed along with efficiency is join to change going from the RSL to a more upright style bike.

My budget is around $3000. I would love some input and some brands and models I should be looking at.

So far I've tried:
Linus (felt cheap)
Shinola Runwell (fantastic feeling bike, top of my budget, Waterford built)
Shinola Bixby (Nice bike, only three speed, Waterford built)
BMC Alpenchallenge (aggressive closest to my RSL, maybe too aggressive)

I'm planning to use it for commuting and cruising around town, but I would also like to be able to do a 20 - 30 mile ride on it as well.

Let em know what other flat bar/riser bar type bikes I should be looking at.

Well, a decent bike shop that deals with the likes of Waterford/Gunnar could build you something. I did that more than once when in the bike shop, even a flat bar Waterford with hydro disc brakes. Should be easy for $3k.

rnhood
08-22-2014, 10:21 AM
Don't bypass Trek and Specialized. Both make very good all purpose bikes with flat handlebars for more upright positioning. You can also test ride them, and this will go a long way in determining what will suit you and and bring a smile to your face. A fellow in our club in Florida rides the Specialized Sirrus and gets along just fine. He has had multiple fusions in his neck and lower back so can't ride drop bars. The Sirrus is available in carbon for less than $2k, and the top model is less than $3k. As mentioned above, Gunnar and Waterford are very good choices also. Waterford in particular if you want something customized.

bluesea
08-22-2014, 10:23 AM
Personally I really like the way rigid 29er MTB handle on the road. Imo much more fun than a thin tire hybrid. My 2nd alternative would be a CX/gravel frame with a longer stem.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3794/11990027566_0feb1db29d_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/jgw2td)IMG_0892 (https://flic.kr/p/jgw2td) by pigmode (https://www.flickr.com/people/74222011@N03/), on Flickr

veggieburger
08-22-2014, 10:24 AM
My 2 cents:

Get more than 3 speeds. 8 at the minimum.

Mind the wheels. When I was searching for a nice city bike, I couldn't believe how many crappy sets rims were slapped on to otherwise nice bicycles. The last thing you want is for your wheels to go out of true in the first month.

Good luck, and take care of that wrist!

FlashUNC
08-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Flat bar cross bike with discs.

That'd be the way I'd go in your shoes.

Ken Robb
08-22-2014, 10:32 AM
What size do you ride? Rivendell has lots of experience with this kind of bike.

christian
08-22-2014, 10:34 AM
You ride a 56, so I suspect you're my height. Buy that Boston Roadster that was in the classifieds. Good deal, great bike!

jtakeda
08-22-2014, 10:37 AM
Flat bar cross bike with discs.

That'd be the way I'd go in your shoes.

Echo this.
Ti frame

Campy 10 sp flatbar shifters. Discs. Would be the way id go.

JAGI410
08-22-2014, 10:49 AM
Ocean Air Cycles Rambler

Aherne handlebar, 1x drivetrain and a bunch of Velo Orange parts.

bargainguy
08-22-2014, 11:07 AM
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik/4626806958.html

tigoat
08-22-2014, 11:18 AM
With a $3,000 budget, you would get a super nice custom steel bike anyway you like it to be.

Here is one that Jim Kish built a while back that might fit the bill:

http://www.jimkish.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/DSCF2720.jpg

Fishbike
08-22-2014, 11:27 AM
If you had a Moots you obviously have impeccable taste. There is no need to compromise on a flat bar bike. You can take pretty much any frame and build it with whatever bar works best for you.

Since you have wrist issues, you should probably experiment a bit with different shape bars. You may prefer a true flat bar or a bar with a some sweep. Different grips really impact comfort too. If you build your own, you can get the best shape bar.

I built a flat bar bike for the fun of it a few years ago. I used a Lynskey Tuscany frame and 10-speed shifters.

If you are looking for a fully-build bike, I really like the Trek FX series. They were the inspiration for my speedy titanium flat bar. One even comes in carbon I think.

d_douglas
08-22-2014, 11:28 AM
I would say that you have lots of options. I would do a disc touring/cyclocross type bike, so there's performance factor to it (after all, your standard was a Moots RSL, right?)

The key thing is to spend some $$$ on a nice handlebar. I bought a used 29er frame on the forum a year ago and the photo of it built showed a super sweptback titanium bar (that I did not buy) but it struck me is likely being extremely comfortable. Think Jones H-Bar, only prettier (I think they're ugly!) but only with a bit of rise and a 25deg sweep and it might alleviate lots of pressure on your wrists, plus maintain the performance component of the bike.

I personally like Desalvo a lot and he is affordable relative to many others. Also, Rock Lobster? I dunno, there are dozens that you could hit for $3000 or less.

Pete's suggestion of a Gunnar is a good one as well. There's one parked outside my fave coffee shop from time to time and it is stunning. In fact, it is a disc touring bike - all you would need are the flat bar, shifters and grips!

Good luck . . . .

Netdewt
08-22-2014, 11:31 AM
I'm not sure the nature of your surgery and condition of your wrist, but in your shoes I would at least consider a recumbent.

Johnny Alien
08-22-2014, 11:38 AM
What size do you ride? Rivendell has lots of experience with this kind of bike.

Yep. I would look at Rivendell.

Ken C
08-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Well, a decent bike shop that deals with the likes of Waterford/Gunnar could build you something. I did that more than once when in the bike shop, even a flat bar Waterford with hydro disc brakes. Should be easy for $3k.

There have been some good Gunnar Fastlane builds with flat bars.

josephr
08-22-2014, 12:52 PM
cannondale bad boy has a suspension fork...might take some vibration out for the wrist.

jmoore
08-22-2014, 01:27 PM
IMO, Eric Estlund would knock this bike out of the park. Giving him a call would not be the worst thing you could do.

weisan
08-22-2014, 01:27 PM
Civdic-pal, I am sorry for your situation and I must caveat what I am about to say that I may not fully appreciate what you are going through.

My sense is... It takes a lot of courage to finally acknowledge that some things have to change, that you have some hard decisions to make and were able to make them. So, HUGE kudos to you for taking the very first important step.

That Moots you got...is an amazing bike. I can only imagine what it takes to give it up. It must be painful. And I am sure you didn't do it unless you absolutely have to.

Again not fully understanding your situation, I wonder if you would be better served with trying out some of the more pedestrian bikes that maybe REI have in their offerings. I mean, try a few different ones, see how you like it, maybe restore back some of the joy, freedom and the confidence that you once remembered that are associated with riding a bike.

Make some incremental steps first, get your spirit up again, fan the fire, whip up the appetite, make you hungry for more...:D

Go slow, be patient, enjoy the process, willing to learn through trial and error... Instead of looking for the magic bullet while keeping the costs down to a reasonable level at the same time.

Ken C
08-22-2014, 02:26 PM
IMO, Eric Estlund would knock this bike out of the park. Giving him a call would not be the worst thing you could do.

He would be my first choice to build this type of bike, but with a budget of $3K that would leave $0 for the components and wheels.

jmoore
08-22-2014, 02:44 PM
He would be my first choice to build this type of bike, but with a budget of $3K that would leave $0 for the components and wheels.

True, but you never know until you call and ask.

THE ARS
08-22-2014, 03:40 PM
I would build a nice old MTB. With half your budget you can easily build a 20 lb bike with some fat slicks.

Fast, fast, fast through the city and easy on the joints.

Steal right here if it fits you.

http://www.fatcogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4204

p nut
08-22-2014, 07:00 PM
I don't think you will be disappointed with a Bixby or Runwell. Outfit it with 7+ IGH and I think you'll be golden. And sorry, CX bikes don't come close in aesthetic pleasure that Shinolas' offer. :)

civdic
08-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Hand delivered my RSL today. Drove from
Canada to beautiful Louisville. Just about cried handing her off. Buyer was a great guy and sure will get a lot of pleasure riding her.

Leaning towards a shinola. Beautiful bikes and handmade
In North America.

veloduffer
08-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Last year I bought a Cannondale Quick CX with disc brakes. Nice bike and even with the semi-knobbies, it rides well on the road as well as off the road. I did a 35 mile road ride at 20 mph avg (it was flat) and it was fine.

civdic
08-26-2014, 03:07 PM
After searching forums and receiving multiple PM's I am leaning towards a rigid 29er. I rode a couple over the weekend and my hand and arm felt good and with the choices in sweep available in MTB bars I think it will work out.

I appreciate all the messages and help in finding something suitable for me and I don't think I would have looked at a 29er without some encouragement from a few of you guys. I'll keep you posted. I've got something in the works that I think will please the members of Paceline, and most important, work for me.

cnighbor1
08-26-2014, 05:08 PM
Rivendell's frames are designed for up right riding
Maybe check those out!
why can't you go to a taller stem and a different type Nitto handle bar on a steel lugged touring road frame to fit you

Frankwurst
08-26-2014, 06:57 PM
Rivendell. Nitto Albatross bars. Barcons or DT shifters (whatever you prefer). You'll be suprised. Not much slower (but I was slow before I went this route) and comfortable for as many miles as you have in your legs. They'll help you get it right. :beer:

civdic
08-28-2014, 09:08 PM
I think I may have found a bike that suits my needs and puts a fresh start into my riding. I can't decide weather to get the fargo 2 or ti.

http://i58.tinypic.com/nlo30l.jpg

bluesea
08-28-2014, 09:17 PM
I like Salsa and have the Fargo/Vaya on my radar for a future commuter build.

I would also suggest looking into the "monster cross" category, as there are some that allow road cranks. The latter being for me a *very* desirable feature, unless of course you're planning on a triple.

Here's a link to the Vassago Fisticuff.

http://www.vassagocycles.com/fisticuff/

civdic
08-28-2014, 09:26 PM
I looked a the Vaya as well. I like the option of a coupled frame in stainless steel. I wasn't able to test ride the Vaya in my size.

SlackMan
08-28-2014, 09:28 PM
Have a look at that Waterford on eBay linked in the Classifieds. It has a 55.5 ett with a 25cm head tube. With the Wound Up fork, it probably takes the kinds of tires that would be idea for city riding.

civdic
08-29-2014, 07:59 AM
I saw that Waterford on ebay. I can't figure out the geometry and the head tube is crazy tall. Maybe too tall?

gomango
08-29-2014, 08:13 AM
I think I may have found a bike that suits my needs and puts a fresh start into my riding. I can't decide weather to get the fargo 2 or ti.

http://i58.tinypic.com/nlo30l.jpg

I have a Fargo that I really love.

When I have it up at the cabin I throw on the Maxxis Ardents and it's a tractor. It's a fantastic adventure bike on the fire roads in and around the BWCA. I have a BOB trailer that I carry an inflatable kayak in for fishing on wilderness lakes.

It thrives in this environment.

When I have it in town, I toss on Resist Nomads in their widest size. This makes it a really comfortable mule for city rides, but I can still mix it up down at the Mississippi river bottoms.

Downsides? I hate the stock BB5 brakes and I am not so thrilled with the FSA crank. This winter I plan on upgrading those areas, but other than that the bike is a real keeper. Super fun!

p nut
08-29-2014, 11:30 AM
I like those Fargo's. Solid choice. Another similar type of drop bar MTB that picqued my interest a while back was the Singular Gryphon.

Also heard that Rawland will be coming out with a new frame soon.

(Old Drakkar)
https://groups.google.com/group/rcog/attach/3af035eced199374/Rawland%20Drakkar_waterstop.png?part=0.2&view=1

Netdewt
08-29-2014, 11:33 AM

That makes me wonder if I've made the right choices recently. Those are so cool.

Are the drops usable at that angle?

gomango
08-29-2014, 01:38 PM
That makes me wonder if I've made the right choices recently. Those are so cool.

Are the drops usable at that angle?

You bet they are.

You are more than welcome to take my Fargo out for a spin.

Maybe Sunday. :)