PDA

View Full Version : 26" to 650B should I ?

sokyroadie
08-22-2014, 04:28 AM
OK,

One day I decided I wanted to find an old school Ti hardtail 26" MTB frame and Ti fork. Somehow by the end of that day I had not one but two:).

They are both 17", One is a Litespeed purchased here, Ti frame, fork, stem & h-bar, It was built for Canti's. It will actually clear a 700c with 32mm tires. I am going 26" wheels on this build.

The other is of unknown origin, I got it from Poland, the build quality is fantastic, Ti frame and a much lighter Ti fork. It has clearance for 650B and was built for V-brakes, so this is the candidate.

The question, is it worth it due to the better tire selection to go 650B on the later bike. It will mainly be used for road/rough road riding. Thinking GB 650B 32mm tires.

I do have a spare 26" wheelset so that would be the cheaper route.

Thanks,

thirdgenbird
08-22-2014, 07:10 AM
If it is built for v brakes, you might be stuck with Paul brakes for the conversion. Not a bad thing, but it will add to the cost. If you can justify the cost and you won't sacrifice tire width, go ahead and try it.

I'm building a 26in stumpjumper m2 right now and would love to go 650b if it worked.