PDA

View Full Version : Cyclocross frame - Replaceable Hanger?

seanile
08-21-2014, 11:36 PM
Simple question: should I, or shouldn't I, make sure a cyclocross frame that I'm getting has a replaceable derailleur hanger?

thanks!

Dead Man
08-21-2014, 11:52 PM
Here's my theory: replaceable hangers are made of soft metal and bend easy. Non-replaceable hangers are made of tough stuff and don't bend easy. If your non-replaceable hanger gets fubar'd, you're screwered... yes. But if your replaceable hanger gets fubar'd, and it's way more likely to.... good luck finding a replacement anyway!

my pair of pennies.

dave thompson
08-22-2014, 12:14 AM
If your cross bike is steel or Ti, it won't have and doesn't need a replaceable hanger. If your bike is aluminum or carbon, it better have a replaceable hanger.

If the bike you get comes with a replaceable hanger, ask which one it is a buy a couple of extras. Not hard to find or expensive to buy.

Bruce K
08-22-2014, 03:23 AM
What Dave said.

BK

seanile
08-22-2014, 07:39 AM
Awesome. Fixed hanger it is. Thanks everyone!

batman1425
08-22-2014, 07:47 AM
If you need spares, check out Wheels Manufacturing. Their replacement hangers are a lot better than what many OEMs stock.

josephr
08-22-2014, 12:58 PM
If you need spares, check out Wheels Manufacturing. Their replacement hangers are a lot better than what many OEMs stock.

+1 --- and contrary to what Dave said, both Lynskey and Moots CX frames have replaceable derailleur hangers.