PDA

View Full Version : replacing rails on Fizik Aliante carbon

marciero
08-20-2014, 02:28 PM
Has anyone removed the rails on a Fizik Aliante or similar? In the rear it;s easy to pop them out of the slots, but in the front they seem glued in.

I have a carbon-railed version where, after ignoring warning signs of splitting in the aluminum sleeves WAY too long, the rails finally just disintegrated with alarmingly little encouragement, and wanted to swap those out for the rails on a steel-railed version where the cover is worn through. Both are "carbon" versions.

Bob Ross
08-20-2014, 05:00 PM
No experience w/ the carbon railed version, but fwiw on the kium (carbon) and/or magnesium (non-carbon) versions of the Aliante the metal rails just pull out from the front also.

marciero
08-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Thanks Will give it a shot again. I really did not try too hard to dislodge them.

bcroslin
08-20-2014, 09:16 PM
No experience w/ the carbon railed version, but fwiw on the kium (carbon) and/or magnesium (non-carbon) versions of the Aliante the metal rails just pull out from the front also.

I had an Aliante that looked like new with a broken kium rail and try as hard as I might I could not pull the broken rail out of the nose of the saddle. I mean I nearly destroyed the saddle trying to get it out. I ended up throwing it away.

Charles M
08-20-2014, 09:54 PM
depends on the build. The epoxy they use for some will dang near require grinding out with a dremel...

Britishbane
08-21-2014, 07:12 AM

Regarding the kium rails, does this mean you've replaced them? I have two sitting here with bent rails.

weiwentg
08-21-2014, 07:57 AM
And where are you getting replacement rails, or any sort of replacement parts? I was wondering about getting my saddle re-leathered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob Ross
08-21-2014, 03:41 PM
Regarding the kium rails, does this mean you've replaced them?

No, it just means that I disassembled mine out of curiosity after I broke the rails; I bought a whole new saddle to replace it, didn't even occur to me that I could've replaced just the broken rails!

markie
08-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Fizik used to be good about warranties on saddles. I wonder if that is still the case?