PDA

View Full Version : Which Pedals?

stephenmarklay
08-20-2014, 07:25 AM
My Look Keo Classic pedals have some play in the axles. They have given me a lot of service and I think its time to replace them.

I am thinking Look Keo 2 Max but wanted to know what others I should look at.

thirdgenbird
08-20-2014, 08:16 AM
I've got classics and keo 2max pedals. I like them both, but the 2max is a much nicer pedal. Go for it.

dgauthier
08-20-2014, 08:23 AM
If by "others" you mean "other than Look", Times are nice. Big contact area, lots of float, and I generally like the way Time puts the retention mechanism *below* the pedal platform because I prefer the feel of the lower resulting stack height. My aluminum bodied Impacts show no signs of giving up -- don't know how durable the new models are. Time continues to offer the Impact-style RXS I suspect, because they are just that good.

zap
08-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Had been riding Look pedals for a long time on my singles. But I switched to Shimano SPD_Sl because a) the bearings are the best b)last a long time c)solid d)walkability.

Also, for a long time our tandems are equipped with SPD-Sl pedals. So, seeing how solid the Shimano pedals are compared to Looks and the fact that I got tired of making sure I brought the right shoes to ride starts, I made the switch on my singles.

josephr
08-20-2014, 08:40 AM
Had been riding Look pedals for a long time on my singles. But I switched to Shimano SPD_Sl because a) the bearings are the best b)last a long time c)solid d)walkability.

Also, for a long time our tandems are equipped with SPD-Sl pedals. So, seeing how solid the Shimano pedals are compared to Looks and the fact that I got tired of making sure I brought the right shoes to ride starts, I made the switch on my singles.

+1 on Shimano SPD-SLs...ridden quite a few different ones but everything just feels right.

soulspinner
08-20-2014, 09:12 AM
I have about 1000 miles on the Look Keo Blade 2 cromo with 16nm release. The larger platform seems to be noticeably more comfortable to me and I have been on Looks since 1985.........

stephenmarklay
08-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Keep the responses coming. I am going to pick up a set today.

cp43
08-20-2014, 10:25 AM
+1 on Shimano SPD-SLs...ridden quite a few different ones but everything just feels right.

I agree on Shimano SPD-SLs. I have 5 or so sets, never a problem with any of them.

Chris

tbike4
08-20-2014, 10:27 AM
SPD-SL. I kind of miss the ability to clip in on either side that other pedals offer but I am hooked on the wide platform. I am pretty good at clipping in now.

I found some used Dura Ace 7810 on ebay for a silly cheap price. Got some new Ultegra carbon, Ultegra and some 105 on this forum also for a silly cheap price.

Some high zoot shoes made a huge difference for me as well.

killerrabbit
08-20-2014, 10:38 AM
Spd-sl.

If you want some bling at a good price the 105 level pedals are now available in carbon.

jtakeda
08-20-2014, 10:42 AM
If bling and weight are of concern I'd go keo blade.

If you just want something that works and is comfortable keo 2 max.

I don't give points for "walkability" because walking is extremely limited when I ride a bike with road pedals.

If walkability is of concern, time atac.

Seramount
08-20-2014, 10:45 AM
DA 7800 on one bike, Look Keo Carbon II on the other.

like both sets of pedals.

the Looks have a very low release force, even with the tension setting at max. but, it's never caused any issues so can't say it's really a problem.

oldpotatoe
08-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Keep the responses coming. I am going to pick up a set today.

SpeedplayZero-2 sided, rebuild able, adjustable float amount, most adjustable cleat position(l-r, fore-aft). Also if ya fall and kill a pedal, you can buy one pedal.

If ya gotta have Look style, shimano SPD-l...better, more durable.

Ti Designs
08-20-2014, 11:18 AM
I have been on Looks since 1985.........

Nobody told you how to clip out???