PDA

View Full Version : Shimano R170 shoes - anyone use them?

macaroon
08-19-2014, 03:26 AM
I'm considering a pair of the above since alot of stores are selling them at a reduced price at the moment.

Does anyone on here use them? Any comments about them would be welcome. Shimano shoes rarely seem to get a mention these days. I assume they're just solid, no nonsense shoes?

Thanks

FastforaSlowGuy
08-19-2014, 05:16 AM
I have been riding the 3xx models for a few years and am thinking of buying the 170 a half size up for winter ( thicker socks won't fit in my regular shoe). Love Shimano shoes. Wide in the toes but not the heel. Solid construction. Comfortable.

macaroon
08-19-2014, 05:34 AM
What's the fit like? How do they size up comapred to Sidi, Giro or Fizik?

The last pait of Shimano shoes I had were a size 46 and from what I remember they fit quite well.

red7
08-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Solid, no-nonsense is a good description and a great value if you can get them on sale. They are wider (for my foot) than Sidis and even an older generation of M300 shoes I have. I was surprised they had changed the foot last and disappointed they didn't fit my foot as well as previous Shimano shoes.

FastforaSlowGuy
08-19-2014, 10:44 AM
If you can try them on, do so. Like a lot of companies, Shimano shoes vary a bit across models, due in large part to different materials being used in the upper. I have a very wide forefoot and narrow/normal heel. The R3xx shoes use a more forgiving material that works better for my feet. I might size up a half size in their other shoes.

Compared to Sidi and most of the other Euro brands, Shimano runs wider. If you have very high arches, however, you may find them to be a tad snug. Width and volume are different things, and the volume on Shimano is pretty middle-of-the-road. The closest I've used are some Specialized shoes, which were a touch narrower but otherwise very similar in fit.

macaroon
08-20-2014, 03:33 AM
THanks for the detailed reply. I guess I'll probably be best ordering a 46 and a 45.5.

PaulE
08-20-2014, 06:15 PM
Bought a pair a year ago from Performance on sale at the same time I bought the Fizik R1. Have been wearing Sidi's for years in size 45, bought the Shimano's and the Fizik's in 45 also (got the Fizik in 44 as well but decided to stick with the 45 for the Fizik). I would say the Shimano is definitely roomier than the Sidi and you may be able to fit a half size or size smaller in Shimano than the Sidi that fits you. Perhaps the 44.5 or even 44 Shimano would work for me but I like the extra room around my toes. The Shimano is very well vented, with vents in the sole and sections of the upper are a very fine mesh screen almostnlike a reuseable coffee filter. I like them. Mine are white and the upper is plastic that looks like patent leather, but it doesn't have the irredescence or pearlized look of the Sidi Vernice shoes.