PDA

View Full Version : Garmin-free ride

kevinvc
08-18-2014, 02:01 PM
I went for a ride yesterday without my usual Garmin set-up. I normally use heart-rate and cadence monitors with my 500. I'm not a super-serious trainer, but I find it interesting to look at the numbers during and after my ride. I can get a general idea of my fitness looking at my heart rate and speed. I also like the instant feedback since I have a tendency to stay in too high a gear and grind rather than keeping a decent cadence in a lower gear.

Anyways, for a variety of reasons, I didn't have any of that with me yesterday and the entire experience was.... freeing. Instead of constantly checking speed, slope, total miles, etc., I focused on the scenery and my body / bike connection. It was lovely. I rode a route I've done plenty of times before, but it seemed like I noticed details and enjoyed the setting more than before. I enjoyed the burn of the climbs and the exhilaration of the descents without any distractions. Overall, it was one of the more enjoyable rides I've had all summer. It was like when I first started riding a few years ago before I started buying all the "important" gear or knew what I was doing; I was just in the moment enjoying the ride.

I'll probably put all the gear on again, but will definitely make a point of doing more rides electronics free, or at least keep the computer in my jersey rather than on my bars.

Anyone else like riding without battery powered devices?

tiretrax
08-18-2014, 02:03 PM
My Garmin, and its replacement, died after a few years. I ride without a computer now. The only downside is not knowing my speed when I'm bombing downhill and having to guess distances.

Cat3roadracer
08-18-2014, 02:06 PM
Computer free for me. For exactly the reasons you have listed.

malcolm
08-18-2014, 02:17 PM
I don't ride the road bike much anymore but I'm on the mtn bike a lot and don't even have a mount on the bars. I'll carry it in or on the camel back or use strava on my phone again in the camel back and just look at the numbers later.

I think I enjoy the ride way more sans computer

FlashUNC
08-18-2014, 02:19 PM
I just put it in my pocket and forget about it.

Fishbike
08-18-2014, 02:45 PM
In my day job and in other organizations I am involved with, so many things are quantifiable. Every day, I am forced to deal with keeping track of so many things, usually with increasingly more technology that works with varying degrees of effectiveness. Indeed, technology has now also taken over shopping, banking, communicating, music-listening, (ok bike stuff buying too) etc. Enough with being tethered to a computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ride in large part to GET AWAY from counting and quantifying and inputting etc. as well as the sinking feeling when I don't measure up. When I ride I want to be alone with nature and my thoughts and some modicum of freedom to go where I want. I will push my self hard when I feel like it and just meander along when I don't.

My workouts could be better, but are likely good enough. Obviously I don't race or train for anything other than riding further and getting up the hills more easily. On the other hand, maybe I do train. . . when I ride I am training myself to unplug.

Anarchist
08-18-2014, 02:59 PM
It has been a year since I last had anything other than my wristwatch with me.

Nothing on the handlebars, and no computer downloads involved.

Reminds me why I started riding a bike to begin with.

bikingshearer
08-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Busted my Garmin a couple years ago (finally just sent it off to get fixed). I like riding with the info, and I've been enjoying computer-free, too.

Just like when I first started using a computer, I'm afraid I'm going to discover that all my 40 mile rides have suddenly become 35 mile rides. :p

Black Dog
08-18-2014, 03:13 PM
The more stuff we possess the more our stuff possesses us. It is very hard not to look at the numbers on any type of computer when riding. Very hard. I have a small and simple computer and feel like the poor kid when I do group rides as most people now have Garmin units are their smart phones mounted. We stopped asking how fun was that and started asking how fast was that ride; or now what was the average wattage… :(

holliscx
08-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Opposite is true for me - I put off buying a Garmin for as long as I could but wish I had purchased one sooner. Not only has it motivated me to ride more, but it's raised the quality which has made me stronger.

MattTuck
08-18-2014, 03:25 PM
I have to admit now, I use my garmin more to catalog rides (so I have a record of them) than for any training purposes. That said, since it is there, I do look at it.

I might find some masking tape and cover the screen for the next few rides, as I'm sure that would stop the urge to look at how fast I'm going.

On the other hand, I often look down to check my gearing... so there is kind of a blurry line.

Gblumenstock
08-18-2014, 03:26 PM
I feel exactly the same way. I am a data junkie but felt it started to impinge on my overall enjoyment. Just use map my ride on my phone in my pocket.

GB

ohsnapitsed
08-18-2014, 03:29 PM
I ride with my garmin about 90% of the time, as I use it to track my training, etc. But I agree with the sentiment that riding without is freeing.

http://trackosaurus.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/NoGarminNoRules.png
http://trackosaurusrex.com/no-garmin-no-rules/

rwsaunders
08-18-2014, 03:43 PM
I primary ride solo, but when I ride with others, someone usually has a Garmin or equal, saving me the expense of buying one. I now invest my money in better wheels and tires. :cool:

marciero
08-18-2014, 04:11 PM
I have to admit now, I use my garmin more to catalog rides (so I have a record of them) than for any training purposes. That said, since it is there, I do look at it.

I did this for a year and got a good idea of my annual miles, average speed, and other data. I know what 12% grade feels like, etc. I liked the unit (Edge 510) a lot. It was fun to use and I liked having the rides all on Strava. But now having done that I sold it and do not use anything.

moose8
08-18-2014, 04:30 PM
I use my garmin 800 all the time, and I love it because I'm bad with directions. I only keep it on the map page though because I find it discouraging to look how far left I have to go or how slow I am going uphill. I do like being able to look afterwards at the ride on the computer.

laupsi
08-18-2014, 04:32 PM
There's a definite sacrifice and benefit using the current technology. I have been training more than ever before for this racing season. Doing so I have been glued to my Garmin to see power numbers. This has been going on since Feb and now that the season is almost over I'm just about exhausted w/all the structure.

I must add however, I've had probably the most successful season of my 25 year racing career and post to every race well prepared. I attributite this more to my coach and his methods than anything else. It's rather easy to follow instructions, the difficult aspect is persevering the mental strain. Am looking forward to both the end of a very fruitful season and to riding unstructured for a while.

ptourkin
08-18-2014, 04:51 PM
There's a definite sacrifice and benefit using the current technology. I have been training more than ever before for this racing season. Doing so I have been glued to my Garmin to see power numbers. This has been going on since Feb and now that the season is almost over I'm just about exhausted w/all the structure.

I must add however, I've had probably the most successful season of my 25 year racing career and post to every race well prepared. I attributite this more to my coach and his methods than anything else. It's rather easy to follow instructions, the difficult aspect is persevering the mental strain. Am looking forward to both the end of a very fruitful season and to riding unstructured for a while.

This.

I collect data on my Garmin for my coach and he interprets it and tells me what to do. Without his guidance, my staring at the screen wouldn't be that useful but to perform specific drills and find a correct pace during events, it's an essential tool.

Follo

technicolor
08-18-2014, 09:25 PM
Maybe I'm missing the point, but I don't understand the "No Garmin, No Rules" sentiment. I'm of the opinion that there is nothing "freeing" about riding without a 2" screen on your handlebars. You don't want to look at it? Don't.

I find this idea that some form of cycling purity can be obtained by leaving your GPS device at home ridiculous and trendy (thanks in no part to that sticker). Garmin's are a tool. You either find value in the data, or you don't. Where your eyes/mind/head are at on a ride is on you.

ceolwulf
08-18-2014, 10:12 PM
I went for a ride yesterday without my usual Garmin set-up.

Nope. Didn't count.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

notsew
08-19-2014, 12:00 AM
Maybe I'm missing the point, but I don't understand the "No Garmin, No Rules" sentiment. I'm of the opinion that there is nothing "freeing" about riding without a 2" screen on your handlebars. You don't want to look at it? Don't.

I find this idea that some form of cycling purity can be obtained by leaving your GPS device at home ridiculous and trendy (thanks in no part to that sticker). Garmin's are a tool. You either find value in the data, or you don't. Where your eyes/mind/head are at on a ride is on you.

I admire your self control.

I can't disconnect myself when it's staring back at me. I find that on the rides when I have the computer, I can't help but start racing myself. When it gets left behind I'm not worried if I'm going to beat my best time, I just cruise along. I always enjoy my rides, but I enjoy the scenery and lose myself more when I'm computer free.

Sometimes you (or, rather, I) have to make a conscious choice to disconnect. The same thing happens with my phone, I get all wrapped in it when I should just be enjoying the scenery. Sometimes it pays to unplug and engage your surroundings.

savine
08-19-2014, 12:23 AM
I ride without a computer but do have Strava running on phone in pocket just to check up on myself when home. Stopped using my Polar over two years ago and a computer at the start of this year and it is refreshing.......but am looking at buying a 510 later this month just to track my routes once ride is over and I aint bought nothing for ages.

jimoots
08-19-2014, 04:59 AM
I don't really look at my Garmin much. If I'm in the middle of an effort then I look at it to make sure my effort is where it should be. I figure if the effort isn't hitting the right numbers then I may aswell stop doing the effort and just enjoy the ride for what it is. No point wearing yourself out for no real reason.

Apart from that I just use it to check the time. That's really it.

The data is useful afterwards though and that's why I keep it on my stem.

I get that some people like to ride with no computer or whatever and that's great. I guess for me just cause it's there it doesn't mean I'm a slave to it.

oldpotatoe
08-19-2014, 06:31 AM
Computer free for me. For exactly the reasons you have listed.

Mee too....while ago, I had a computer with average speed, even auto on and off...road one day and I felt like Eddy hisself, fast, smooth, great ride BUT....average of 14 MPH..took it off, never put another on..ignorance is bliss. I ride with a watch..for time..have 2 hours? Ride 2 hours..if feel good, go further, if not, go lesser..all good.

fiataccompli
08-19-2014, 07:42 AM
I must strike a decent balance. I used a 705 for a long time in part to log mileage and for the maps. Now that my riding is more training/race-oriented, I use a 510 (also the 705 was starting to get 'tired') and track cadence, power, HR, grade, speed, etc. That said, I find that I naturally can completely disconnect from the data stream and enjoy the ride. I like being able to check it if I am doing something particular in terms of training or if I am in a situation where I really want to be mindful of effort/HR/power, but otherwise it mostly tracks mileage and provides some good data for later to structure training. I suppose if it has any significant in-ride effect, it would be that it encourages me to rest at higher speeds, if that makes any sense. Anyway, I still rate a ride by its feel not the #s.....though I often have said I use my Garmin to calibrate my gut feel (ie, was that really hard or am I just tired? Are we going uphill? Wind?...you get the idea. )

Llewellyn
08-19-2014, 08:01 AM
My Cateye has all the info I need but I'm finding more and more that I don't look at the distance, time ridden etc until I get home. But I like to know the info just for curiousity's sake.

soulspinner
08-19-2014, 08:10 AM
Both my cateyes failed and now I am enjoying the training rides a lot more.

EDS
08-19-2014, 08:40 AM
I have never felt having a bike computer or power meter impacted my ride in anyway unless I left the house that day with a specific plan to follow, in which case.

bobswire
08-19-2014, 08:56 AM
Depends on and why you ride and what you want to get out of it. I ride for health,fun,meditation,exploring,commute. I ride more miles a year on my bike than I do my auto (since I've been retired). My Garmin has been sitting in a box unused for over a year. I sometimes think it would be neat to attach it and record my routes,etc to Strava or M/M/Ride but it would be for fun. You all are familiar with the saying "like riding a bike",it's not like I have to train on something I've been doing religiously for 40 years but if I was into competitive riding/racing it would be a different story.

Edit I went and checked my Garmin Connect to see the last time I used it ,
May 16, 2013. I just may go ahead and reattach it or maybe not. :)

witcombusa
08-19-2014, 09:03 AM
Never occured to me to get any of that "stuff" in the first place.

Clydesdale
08-19-2014, 09:56 AM
For at least 5 years now, maybe more like 8, all my rides have been "0 mile rides." I usually wear a watch and check cadence once in awhile, heart rate (almost never), and time a few stretches on some of my routes. I have a good sense of the distance of most of my outings and could usually get pretty close on the speed as well. Mostly I gauge my rides by length and effort. Works for me and I don't miss the numbers.

kevinvc
08-19-2014, 12:50 PM
I've really enjoyed reading these responses to the OP. I'm kind of a data wonk by nature, so I always enjoyed going over the numbers during and after a ride. I know it sounds like hyperbole to some folks, but it really was liberating not having the Garmin this weekend. For the first half hour I kept looking down for it, but pretty quickly I just got into the ride and didn't think about anything like how fast I was going, how quickly I was pedaling, etc.

Sometimes my rides are meant to be more focused on training, and I'll probably use it on those. I do like to track my routes and there will be times that I want to look at how I did after I'm home; I'll take the Garmin with me for those rides but keep it in my pocket. But I think there will be times that I won't bother with it at all and just go ride my bike.

Riding is fun. Sometimes the data enhances the experience, sometimes it is a distraction.

Admiral Ackbar
08-19-2014, 12:53 PM
i don't have a garmin or gps ting. but i use strava for most of my rides. i just like knowing my mileage/speed mostly. its cool to see you stack up against other riders too. not into the whole cock swinging contest some people seem to make of it tho

mcteague
08-19-2014, 01:44 PM
My Cateye has all the info I need but I'm finding more and more that I don't look at the distance, time ridden etc until I get home. But I like to know the info just for curiousity's sake.

Me too. My Cateye Slim, sounds like a pool hustler, does more than I need. I don't wear a watch when riding so having the time is nice. I check distance and average speed when done. Mostly that just depresses me as all the hills, and age, take a toll on that speed, or lack thereof.

Tim

malcolm
08-19-2014, 05:32 PM

I don't know about trendy as this topic has been coming up periodically for at least 20 years. My computer when I first heard it was a avocet 20.

I think it just depends on your personality. I like not having the numbers in front of me. I don't think it gives you any special powers, but I think it lets some people just enjoy the ride more.

giverdada
08-20-2014, 10:47 PM
i lost my garmin after my last good ride, somewhere at my parents' place. it fell out of a bag or was just left behind. riding without the numbers was initially really frustrating, but then pretty okay. one tough thing is sitting on the trainer without numbers. why the trainer in august in toronto? 'cause the kids are upstairs sleeping and the lady is out and it's raining again. either way, the best shape i've ever gotten into on a bike or running has been by using the numbers. to get out there and thrash myself, i do best when in a group or looking at a gauge. went for a run of hill repeats last night and couldn't see a damn thing, let alone a watch. went by feel. went easy. loved it.