PDA

View Full Version : I hate soul crushers

Lewis Moon
08-18-2014, 09:53 AM
Gawd I HATE bad days. Sunday, I went out for a ride, and being a bit bored with riding east (the wide open) I went west (more suburban). I didn't notice it at first but I had a pretty significant tail wind on the way out. It was a bit down hill and I thought I was just cooking. At about 30 miles I turned for home and WHAM. Head wind and up hill. By the time I got home I was pedaling squares and feeling like a beat dog.
Even though the ride was great overall, that last 20 miles did more to kill my morale than anything. I felt slow and puny. :mad:

brockd15
08-18-2014, 10:27 AM
I feel your pain.

When I first started riding the big number for me to hit was 100 miles. After a few months I decided I had to do it so I planned to ride due north to a town almost exactly 50 miles away, then head back. On the way there I had just enough of a tailwind to make the ride feel easy but not enough that I really noticed it. I thought I was flying. I had visions of grandeur in my head! Maybe If I could ride this I'd be a pro one day!

Then I turned around into a head wind for 50 miles. All delusions were very quickly forgotten and I slogged along at a pace unworthy of an MUP.

victoryfactory
08-18-2014, 10:33 AM
Yep....

Here on Long Island we have pretty consistent westerly winds blowing
across open fields surrounded by the ocean. Often 12-20mph

Heading out to the east end we feel like champs,
riding back we feel like gramps......

My limited experience riding out west is that it's even worse!

VF

oldpotatoe
08-18-2014, 01:32 PM
Gawd I HATE bad days. Sunday, I went out for a ride, and being a bit bored with riding east (the wide open) I went west (more suburban). I didn't notice it at first but I had a pretty significant tail wind on the way out. It was a bit down hill and I thought I was just cooking. At about 30 miles I turned for home and WHAM. Head wind and up hill. By the time I got home I was pedaling squares and feeling like a beat dog.
Even though the ride was great overall, that last 20 miles did more to kill my morale than anything. I felt slow and puny. :mad:

There are hills where memory tells me it was hot, and windy and I hate to ride there, even when it's cool with a tailwind..

bikingshearer
08-18-2014, 02:19 PM
I felt slow and puny. :mad:

At 6'3" and 270 lbs, I never feel puny. I do, however, almost always feel slow. Especially uphill. So I guess I fell half of your pain. :p