PDA

View Full Version : Rear light suggestions

54ny77
08-18-2014, 08:32 AM
What's the consensus on the best (brightest) rear blinker light?

I was out very early the other morning and the dinky cateye I had wasn't cutting it. Riding through tree-canopied roads made things that much darker...and the hair on the back of neck stand up as the occasional car would pass.

Pls. post a photo of your setup if you've got one, I'd like to see how it looks (particularly if it's a wired unit).

Thanks. :cool:

Kirk007
08-18-2014, 08:34 AM
Dinottes are great if your using a battery. The L&M rear lights wired to a dynamo work really well also. Sorry, no photos handy.

palincss
08-18-2014, 08:38 AM
What's the consensus on the best (brightest) rear blinker light?

I was out very early the other morning and the dinky cateye I had wasn't cutting it. Riding through tree-canopied roads made things that much darker...and the hair on the back of neck stand up as the occasional car would pass.

Have you replaced your battery lately?

Incidentally, whether the hair on the back of your neck stands up as a car passes is no indication of the state of effectiveness of your rear light.

Also, how early was "very early" in the morning? If that was before sunrise, you might consider a steady light either in place of, or in addition to, a blinking rear light. Steady lights are much easier to fix their location than blinking ones.

54ny77
08-18-2014, 08:46 AM
palincss--it really is a dinky light, small, etc. (and batteries were fresh). time was around pre-dawn, main issue is many roads in area have monstrous trees that really cut the light down (even in daylight the sun/shade issue can make it very difficult to see cyclists). i have a crazy bright headlight but i didn't use it (but should have), as that would've helped a lot.

kirk the 300r looks like it's bright and convenient with no wires. do you have one?

Nooch
08-18-2014, 08:47 AM
Dinotte.

biker72
08-18-2014, 09:09 AM
Not the brightest but most light for the dollar.
http://goo.gl/btly0x

onekgguy
08-18-2014, 09:09 AM
I have a Dinotte. Depending upon the version you get, some aren't recommended for use other than periods of daylight because of how bright the light is. It's not cheap but I think it's well worth it.

Here's a link (http://www.dinottelighting.com/LED_bike_lights/400l-taillight.htm) to the light I purchased and here's a short video of my setup. (https://vimeo.com/91373213)

Kevin g

rwsaunders
08-18-2014, 09:10 AM
I have a Light and Motion Vis 180 that I use for recreational riding. The light is very bright, oscillates on two settings and there is a Paceline setting (orange light only) so that you don't irritate your riding buddies too much. Charging takes about two hours.

Down sides of this light; not sure that this applies to their whole line. I get about 6-8 hours of riding time between charges. Below 40 degrees, cut the run time in half. 30 degrees and you essentially get a half hour of performance. When it's cold out I resort back to a couple of Blackburn Fleas.

saab2000
08-18-2014, 09:14 AM
Dinottes are great if your using a battery. The L&M rear lights wired to a dynamo work really well also. Sorry, no photos handy.

How did you wire a L&M to a dynamo? I'd be curious about that. They are normally battery lights.

Dinotte is the best rear light. Everything else is less good. It is the only one I know of that can be seen in broad daylight on a sunny day from a half mile back.

I also use a L&M Vis 180 rear light that is good on all but the brightest sunny days. It's good on cloudy days and at dawn and dusk. I don't like the rubber strap mount very much though. It leaves much to be desired but the light itself has been great.

The Cygollte Hotshot is the only other one I'd spend my money on. Most other taillights I see people use are virtually worthless as they're badly aimed or the batteries are weak.

I used to do a ton of dusk and night riding and I've seen them all. Many lights are good in the dark but very, very few lights are good in daylight conditions. Those are the only ones I'd spend money on.

Nooch
08-18-2014, 09:18 AM
One more, the Serfas USL-TL60 is very bright, but can't speak to sunlight experience. https://www.serfas.com/products/view/143/referer:products%7Cindex%7Clights%7Ctail-lights

54ny77
08-18-2014, 09:20 AM
saab which dinotte rear do you have and do you position the rear lights so they'll hit at driver eyes, or do you point them on the ground?

i have a crazy bright headlight that i've had several drivers comment (some politely, others not so much) to point that thing down a little as it's literally blinding. so that's what i do.

crownjewelwl
08-18-2014, 09:20 AM
another vote for the dinotte (with internal battery)...it is blinding

teleguy57
08-18-2014, 09:21 AM
I have a Light and Motion Vis 180 that I use for recreational riding. The light is very bright, oscillates on two settings and there is a Paceline setting (orange light only) so that you don't irritate your riding buddies too much. Charging takes about two hours.

Down sides of this light; not sure that this applies to their whole line. I get about 6-8 hours of riding time between charges. Below 40 degrees, cut the run time in half. 30 degrees and you essentially get a half hour of performance. When it's cold out I resort back to a couple of Blackburn Fleas.

That's my concern about rechargables; I can put lithium AA or AAAs in other tail lights and not have to worry about cold weather performance drop off. But I am intrigued by the brightness of the L&S 180 and the Hotshot....

Dired
08-18-2014, 09:24 AM
I just upgraded from a cygolite to a serfas thunderbolt. Very nice build and plenty bright on the very lowest setting lasting 8 hours. The 35 lumen output on the highest setting lasts 2 hours. The stretchy rubber band attachments conform to any shape, no special seatstay mounts required.

https://www.serfas.com/products/view/669/referer:products%7Cindex%7Clights%7Ctail-lights

edit: If you L&M is in your budget, don't hesitate. My L&M 800 is of amazing build quality.

JasonF
08-18-2014, 09:35 AM
I have a thing for rear blinky lights (probably as a result of spending two weeks in intensive care back in 2002 after being struck by an inattentive driver) and after buying various Radbots, Serfas, etc, etc...I keep coming back to the Dinotte 300R. It simply blows the others away in brightness.

saab2000
08-18-2014, 09:35 AM
saab which dinotte rear do you have and do you position the rear lights so they'll hit at driver eyes, or do you point them on the ground? Normally I have the battery strapped under the seat and a spare tubular more appropriately folded and stowed in my pocket...... :D

i have a crazy bright headlight that i've had several drivers comment (some politely, others not so much) to point that thing down a little as it's literally blinding. so that's what i do.

I don't know which model it is but it has an external battery. This particular model is no longer available I don't think. It looks like their 400R, but I don't believe that is the model designation. I bought it about a year and a half ago and while the battery is sufficient for a couple hours, I think it's a bit of an older battery.

I do not worry about blinding drivers from the rear with a taillight. Mine is aimed straight back and centered with the frame. It's not that I'm not concerned about this but it is my honest belief that no taillight is bright enough to be too bright from the rear, certainly not in daylight hours. These are not nearly as bright as the bright headlights that are in fact a hazard. I see them on bikes all the time pointed badly, right into the eyes of oncoming traffic or cyclists on the MUTs in the Washington area. Those are definitely to be pointed downwards. I am definitely NOT insensitive to blinding drivers. But I don't think that's a concern during daylight rides with any taillight. I can imagine that the brightest Dinottes, this one included, might be too bright at night.

The picture of my light is deceptive. I wish I had one in daylight from a few hundred feet away. This was taken in a dimly lit room when I first got the light just to see what it was light. Of course it looks blinding in this cheapish digital picture, but my experience after putting it was a delight. This was in the Outer Banks in North Carolina in April or early May of 2013 and traffic simply gave me a wider berth.

Bottom line is that I've had numerous drivers actually complement me on my visibility because of this light.

All that said, I don't know that I'd use it on its brightest setting at night. The brightest setting seems much more appropriate for daytime usage.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8103/8595165980_0e82f259be_b.jpg

christian
08-18-2014, 09:42 AM
Saab's is a Dinotte 400R. I have a 300R. 300R has an internal battery. Once you've had a Dinotte...

Pyramor
08-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Designshine. The taillight is 10w I think! It is so bright that it must not be used higher than the middle setting at night. I bought a set (front and rear) to use during the day. Both can be seen over a mile in bright daylight. Very limited production which may be suspended at the current time (builder has a day job). If anyone is interested contact Stephen at http://www.designshinelighting.com . An additional benefit is that the modes are highly customizable. Customer service is great, Stephen really stands behind his products.

saab2000
08-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Saab's is a Dinotte 400R. I have a 300R. 300R has an internal battery. Once you've had a Dinotte...

I don't think it's actuality 400R even though it looks like one. It's an older model from before they had one with an internal battery.

Nooch
08-18-2014, 09:48 AM
I don't think it's actuality 400R even though it looks like one. It's an older model from before they had one with an internal battery.

400R was the precursor to the 300R -- pretty sure yours is a 400R as well.

(I have a 300R and a 400R -- the battery pack on the 400R is just a little too annoying for me, so it stays on one bike, where the 300R gets moved around at will.)

Lost it thanks to a well used mount at around 24 mph earlier this season. Went back to find it but couldn't, but did see a woman we'd passed earlier riding a hybrid.. I peppered the mailboxes with a flyer to try and find the woman, next day got a phone call, and was reunited with my light -- couple scrapes, but these things are built to last.

joosttx
08-18-2014, 09:52 AM
I have switch from a Dinotte to a sefras thunderbolt. The Dinotte was just too bright for the roads I ride which are twisty, rarely a car is going above 40mph. WIth that said Dinotte are awesome.

One thing to add that is not mentioned which I really like I bought a Lazer Helium helmet with a rear intergrated blinky. I saw a few guys on the road with them and I think its a great feature.

gomango
08-18-2014, 09:53 AM
I picked up a Dinotte xml-3 headlight with the 300r tail light package. I was just about ready to order a new set when a fellow listed my set on our local CL. He was switching this set for a Schmidt dyno hub. I got a great price and this is very, very bright. I use it in steady beam mode, no flashing. I would definitely recommend this package, especially as the available daylight wanes as we slide into fall.

saab2000
08-18-2014, 09:54 AM
400R was the precursor to the 300R -- pretty sure yours is a 400R as well.

(I have a 300R and a 400R -- the battery pack on the 400R is just a little too annoying for me, so it stays on one bike, where the 300R gets moved around at will.)

Lost it thanks to a well used mount at around 24 mph earlier this season. Went back to find it but couldn't, but did see a woman we'd passed earlier riding a hybrid.. I peppered the mailboxes with a flyer to try and find the woman, next day got a phone call, and was reunited with my light -- couple scrapes, but these things are built to last.

Cool. Thanks for that info! I do like that when the battery gives up I can buy a new one. So far, it's all good.

I think I bought this one from Joosttx. I'm happy with it, especially if I want to leave it attached to a bike.

christian
08-18-2014, 09:56 AM
One thing to add that is not mentioned which I really like I bought a Lazer Helium height with a rear intergrated blinky. I saw a few guys on the road with them and I think its a great feature.

Haha, I never knew that there was a helmet with this integrated, but the back of a Bell Sweep exactly fits a Nightrider SOLAS or Cherrybomb if you zip tie it in. I have one on my night ride/mtb helmet. I do think it helps.

rwsaunders
08-18-2014, 09:57 AM
That's my concern about rechargables; I can put lithium AA or AAAs in other tail lights and not have to worry about cold weather performance drop off. But I am intrigued by the brightness of the L&S 180 and the Hotshot....

When I wrote to the manufacturer and commented about the poor cold weather performance of the Vis 180, they wrote back and said that battery performance is affected by temperature and that I should keep the light charged. Duh. When it's cold (below 40 degrees), it has been my experience that the performance of this light suffers tremendously, regardless of the level of charge.

If you live in a warmer climate though, I say go for it. I ride mostly early in the morning through some fairly wooded terrain and in misty and foggy conditions and I am pleased with the brightness and visibility. Late Spring through early Fall, it's my go to light.

As many most likely share a similar feeling, downhills and blind curves are also of concern. For that I use a clear Flea on the front with an oscillating flash pattern. It has a charge indicator as well and the Flea has proven to be a reliable rain light as well.

teleguy57
08-18-2014, 10:15 AM
If you live in a warmer climate though, I say go for it.

Don't think WI counts as warmer climate, particularly this last spring season. Plus being farther north than many here our days stay shorter longer in the spring and we lose daylight faster in the fall.... But we did have great skiing last season!:)

saab2000
08-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Don't think WI counts as warmer climate, particularly this last spring season. Plus being farther north than many here our days stay shorter longer in the spring and we lose daylight faster in the fall.... But we did have great skiing last season!:)

I agree..... Wisconsin isn't warm much of the year.

Out on those barren, gray fall days I'd feel great riding with the Dinotte. It would be visible in Hortonville from the top of the Camelbacks on Grandview Road! :banana:

In all seriousness, the flash mode within the solid mode is hard to beat. But the Cygolite Hotshot is also pretty nice. My experience with the L&M losing charge hasn't been an issue, but it's undoubtedly real. I just recharge for every ride, something that is a pain but worth it. You don't know when your taillight has quit.

I will soon set up the Hampsten for winter usage (even though winter is not here yet... And I think I'm going to try to install this dynamo taillight. It's the Busch & Müller Secula Plus and gets pretty good reviews. It's probably won't be my main light but it will never die in cold weather either. (Image taken from Peter White's website)
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/secula-sp-mounted.jpg

Ahneida Ride
08-18-2014, 10:25 AM
Dinotte 400R with battery ....

It can be seen in bright daylight 1/2 mile + back.

and you are buying into the BEST customer service.

It's a no brainer.

velomonkey
08-18-2014, 10:27 AM
I don't want to echo what everyone has said, but this is another vote for dinotte. I've been doing this for over 20 years and have had probably a dozen rear lights. After reading reviews I went with dinotte and got the USB chargeable one.

Here is the deal: other lights will get you seen - the dinotte changes a driver's driving. They will literally slow down cause they don't know to make of the HUGE blinking red light. If they are distracted, it will get their attention.

The other lights only get you seen when someone is actually paying attention: which is less and less.

pdmtong
08-18-2014, 10:31 AM
Dinotee and the LM 180 are the two usual suspects.

The Knog Blinder 4v is very close to the LM180 output and a lot cheaper at $45. Works great for me.

These three are some good choices.

brockd15
08-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Are there any dyno taillights that compare to a DiNotte?

Ahneida Ride
08-18-2014, 10:42 AM

Good question. I'd like to know that myself ...

Even at 1 mile back, the Dinotte can be seen.

bking
08-18-2014, 10:46 AM
while nothing touches the Dinotte, as is readily acknowledged here, i don't use mine very often. bulky (i have remote battery) and almost too bright. I use it on extended trips and mostly for daytime riding.
I've used so many others, but have landed on the thunderbolt mentioned above. Good vis, good vis from angles, easy to move from bike to bike, very easy.

Kirk007
08-18-2014, 10:49 AM
kirk the 300r looks like it's bright and convenient with no wires. do you have one?

I have one from a few years ago - 200? 400? Not home so can't check but it is powered by a separate battery pack; either its own that you can strap to seat rails or seatpost etc., etc., or you can run it off a large battery that can power both front and rear. I know Dinotte has come out with newer models. I can't imagine wanting/needing a brighter light than the Dinotte.

saab2000
08-18-2014, 10:49 AM

I do not believe so. The Dinotte is in a class of 1.

That said, some dynamo headlights are becoming pretty good. A buddy has an older model dynamo taillight on his winter bike and it's actually pretty decent too, especially in the winter when a dim light can be seen better. I posted a picture on the previous page of the new-for-last year Busch&Müller Secula Plus taillight. I plan to try one out this winter but haven't bought one yet. I'll report when I do get it up and running. The issue here is that I'd like to see my bike from a few blocks back with this running and that's not very practical at the moment.

My brother runs an old dynamo light on his old touring bike (and I think the taillight itself is about 10 years old and an early LED taillight) and it's surprisingly not bad, but I saw it on a cloudy day around dusk, so it will naturally look better.

The Dinotte is about the only one that is bright enough during the daylight to be seen from a significant distance. I've seen some of the bright flasher blinky lights like the Cygolite from a distance and they're visible, but the Dinotte is simply better.

Kirk007
08-18-2014, 10:51 AM
How did you wire a L&M to a dynamo? I'd be curious about that. They are normally battery lights.

Sorry - typo: B&M. I wish I could figure how to wire that Dinotte! I like the B&M lights though, particularly with the steady state stop feature (whatever its called).

saab2000
08-18-2014, 10:52 AM
Sorry - typo: B&M. I wish I could figure how to wire that Dinotte! I like the B&M lights though, particularly with the steady state stop feature (whatever its called).

Cool. Which B&M? I'll be getting a new one this winter for the front. Probably the CYO Premium.

Kirk007
08-18-2014, 10:57 AM
And I think I'm going to try to install this dynamo taillight. It's the Busch & Müller Secula Plus and gets pretty good reviews.
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/secula-sp-mounted.jpg

I just bought but haven't used yet as its part of a new commuter build that I hope to get on the road in the next two weeks. I'll try to remember to post a review.

Kirk007
08-18-2014, 11:02 AM
Cool. Which B&M? I'll be getting a new one this winter for the front. Probably the CYO Premium.

I think thats a step up from what I'm running on the front - too many names and varieties for the CYO - but it has the 4 daylight LEDs that are white for daylight running, three settings, the on at stop lights feature. The beam isn't as impressive in low light or dusk (compared to a Dinotte front) but is quirte adequate once its dark.

saab2000
08-18-2014, 11:07 AM
I think thats a step up from what I'm running on the front - too many names and varieties for the CYO - but it has the 4 daylight LEDs that are white for daylight running, three settings, the on at stop lights feature. The beam isn't as impressive in low light or dusk (compared to a Dinotte front) but is quirte adequate once its dark.

Get the one with the most LUX. A had one with some kind of sensor and it was only 40 LUX and noticeably less bright than a buddy's who didn't have the sensor and his was rated at 60 LUX. The CYO Premium is now rated at 80 LUX if I'm not mistaken. His 60 was pretty decent and adequate for the urban and suburban night riding we used to do in MI (I really miss those autumn and early winter night rides....). The battery lights were definitely brighter, but in the cool to cold temps (into the 30s) battery life was a legit concern. It's a total non factor with a dynamo light, as you know. And the beam pattern on the dynamo lights is designed to not blind oncoming traffic and maximize what exists.

Big fan.

But back to the question of the dynamo taillight, I too hope to get one and review it. One thing of note - pretty much all dynamo lights go to a "Stand Light" mode when stopped. A capacitor keeps the light partially illuminated to be seen at an intersection, but they provide no real useful light while stopped. They produce a full beam by about 8 MPH but below that they can pulse a bit. But at normal speeds they produce useful light.

brockd15
08-18-2014, 11:20 AM
I do not believe so. The Dinotte is in a class of 1.

That was the unconfirmed impression I had.
That being the case, anybody know what's considered to be the "best" dynamo taillight? Trying to decide if it's worth it to go with one or only battery powered units.

DrSpoke
08-18-2014, 11:35 AM
I started using a NiteRider Solas about a year ago. It was/is probably the best money I've spent on any bicycle components. I noticed an immediate improvement in how autos approached me from behind. It has 2 flashing modes and 2 steady and is, I think, at 2 watts. That worked so well that I added a front light - a NiteRider Lumina 220. And again notice an immediate improvement from cars in front. I've actually had cars back away from the bike lane once they see me. Also many fewer cars pulling out in front of me or turning in front of me. Both units are set on flashing mode while riding. NiteRider bundles these as a set and can be found easily on ebay for a quite reasonable price. Both units are USB rechargeable and both have self contained batteries. The 220 is probably not strong enough for actual night riding but is relatively small and powerful enough for day use.

brockd15
08-18-2014, 11:36 AM
The battery lights were definitely brighter, but in the cool to cold temps (into the 30s) battery life was a legit concern. It's a total non factor with a dynamo light, as you know.

I did and overnight 200k brevet a while back with a couple guys, one of which had a rechargeable headlight (the other guy and I both had dynamo powered headlights). He ran out of juice early in the ride, probably ~100k in, so we all stayed together all night. If we hadn't been with him his ride would have been over. Makes me a little wary of rechargeables for long rides.

chiasticon
08-18-2014, 12:13 PM
light and motion viz 180 has been working great for me for the past year or so. no major issues in sub-freezing weather, but in the winter i'm strict about plugging all my lights in when i get home from a ride and leaving them that way until i leave for the next one.

BUT i will say that the mount sucks; it turns around the post too easily and it rubs my thighs on my one bike with an integrated seatmast. so since all my bikes have fizik saddles, i bought the cateye/fizik clip in adapter. then i zip-tied my l&m 180 to it. doesn't move (it's wedged up against the saddle) and i don't feel it when i pedal (and no the zip-tie job doesn't look fredly). moves from bike to bike easily.

as a bonus, the light now looks like it's shining directly out of my a**! :eek:

saab2000
08-18-2014, 01:23 PM
That was the unconfirmed impression I had.
That being the case, anybody know what's considered to be the "best" dynamo taillight? Trying to decide if it's worth it to go with one or only battery powered units.

As a light fanatic, it's my understanding that the one pictured above, the B&M Secula Plus is the premier dynamo taillight. Keep in mind, these things have no flash settings. They're either on or off. I've never seen one in real life so I have no idea how they are, but I'm willing to bet it's pretty decent.

I'm planning on getting one and I'll try to get a report.

pethelman
08-19-2014, 02:34 PM
Designshine. The taillight is 10w I think! It is so bright that it must not be used higher than the middle setting at night. I bought a set (front and rear) to use during the day. Both can be seen over a mile in bright daylight. Very limited production which may be suspended at the current time (builder has a day job). If anyone is interested contact Stephen at http://www.designshinelighting.com . An additional benefit is that the modes are highly customizable. Customer service is great, Stephen really stands behind his products.

Thanks Pyramor!
Glad you're still enjoying them. Actually, I'm only a month away from releasing the best version yet (probably late Sept). They'll be using CREE's latest XPE2, high output binned (-701) RED and will be sporting a more refined housing and a nice tactile silicon power button cover, so you can easily control with gloves on. Oh, and yes, I might add that it's 10 very efficient watts, pushing over 800 pure red lumens (measured at Lupines facility in Germany). The high power flash mode (modeled after ambulance flash scheme) is very efficient and will give you 10+ hours with a reasonable 4400mAH battery. These aren't cheap, but for those that are looking for some serious power... Brighter than the Dinotte daytime, but also capable of throttling back to very low power for nighttime use. Unrivaled side-vis at night. Day and night flash modes, all customizable. Powered from ANY existing 7.4v li-ion pack. Quick release. Regulated supply with full thermal and battery management, etc. Here's an early build #4 prototype so you can see the new button cover. Final version anodized black. Note the lens cover in the pic is from build #3, but the new one will match the new housing profile with the more rounded corners.

brockd15
08-19-2014, 02:53 PM
Awesome. I've looked at those and they seem really nice. Really pricey though if I remember correctly.

Dead Man
08-19-2014, 03:03 PM
800 lms? Puh.

I ride with bombs exploding behind me. Very bright/loud, and cars stay really far away.

pethelman
08-19-2014, 03:13 PM
Awesome. I've looked at those and they seem really nice. Really pricey though if I remember correctly.

Thanks! and yes, you remember correctly. I'm building these lights "on-the-side" in very limited quantity compared to the mass marketed stuff, and I'm working with some super cool guys here in the states to make it happen. Machinist and circuit designer in California, polycarb CNC work in Connecticut, and the only way that I'm able to bring this last batch to market is to hire a technician here in town to do all the assembly work. I'm "downloading" all the tricks and techniques to him that I've learned over the years in building these lights to make them as bombproof (and waterproof) as possible. All that to say, the cost to build this thing is way up there, but I think after folks see the quality and performance first hand, they feel really good about the price. But just in case, I always sell them as "30-day demos" so that buyers can make this determination for themselves with no pressure or financial risk.
Cheers!

tmf
08-19-2014, 03:32 PM
I started using a NiteRider Solas about a year ago. It was/is probably the best money I've spent on any bicycle components. I noticed an immediate improvement in how autos approached me from behind. It has 2 flashing modes and 2 steady and is, I think, at 2 watts. That worked so well that I added a front light - a NiteRider Lumina 220. And again notice an immediate improvement from cars in front. I've actually had cars back away from the bike lane once they see me. Also many fewer cars pulling out in front of me or turning in front of me. Both units are set on flashing mode while riding. NiteRider bundles these as a set and can be found easily on ebay for a quite reasonable price. Both units are USB rechargeable and both have self contained batteries. The 220 is probably not strong enough for actual night riding but is relatively small and powerful enough for day use.

A few months ago, I decided to add a pretty bright rear light for my daytime riding. I wanted bright, USB rechargeable, not too expensive, and both seatpost & seatstay mounting options. I looked at a bunch of options, and ended up with the NightRider Solas, and I've been super happy with it. It lasts for at least 4 hours per charge, and it flashes to the sides as well as towards the rear. A good test I like to give my rear lights is when riding in total darkness, when you go through an intersection look behind you to see how bright the reflection is on stop signs and other signs with reflective surfaces. With the Solas, I can see the red light reflecting off of signs that look to be a half mile away. Much farther than my previous light that I was pretty happy with - the PDW Radbot 1000.

I also use a NightRider head light - the Lumina 650. It is bright enough for riding on roads in total darkness. I often train at 4am, and I feel very confident with the Solas in the back and Lumina 650 up front.

DrSpoke
08-19-2014, 07:52 PM
A few months ago, I decided to add a pretty bright rear light for my daytime riding. I wanted bright, USB rechargeable, not too expensive, and both seatpost & seatstay mounting options. I looked at a bunch of options, and ended up with the NightRider Solas, and I've been super happy with it. It lasts for at least 4 hours per charge, and it flashes to the sides as well as towards the rear. A good test I like to give my rear lights is when riding in total darkness, when you go through an intersection look behind you to see how bright the reflection is on stop signs and other signs with reflective surfaces. With the Solas, I can see the red light reflecting off of signs that look to be a half mile away. Much farther than my previous light that I was pretty happy with - the PDW Radbot 1000.

I also use a NightRider head light - the Lumina 650. It is bright enough for riding on roads in total darkness. I often train at 4am, and I feel very confident with the Solas in the back and Lumina 650 up front.

My experience exactly (though I don't ride road at night). Great products at fair prices. I can see the front light flashing on any reflective sign for a long way in front of me in bright daylight. I've got a couple of Lumina 700s and MiNewt 350 helmet mount that I use for night riding on my mountain bike. In fact, just yesterday a car waiting to pull out from a street on my right was waiting for traffic to clear and the front of the car was in the bike lane - and she backed up to open up the lane and let me through. Rather nice I would say and I'm sure it's 100% due to the front light.

RobJ
08-19-2014, 08:02 PM
This is the little guy I was going to recommend too. Up to 36hrs. 2watts and weather resistant. As mentioned USB rechargeable and has a special group riding mode. Tried it in ambient light in the LBS and it was extremely bright (like don't look directly into the sun bright).

Bob Ross
08-19-2014, 08:25 PM
I feel very confident with the Solas in the back and Lumina 650 up front.

+1. That's the same combination I have on my commuter bike.

Louis
08-19-2014, 08:32 PM
The Cygollte Hotshot is the only other one I'd spend my money on.

I've been quite happy with my Hotshot. I have it set in "triple flash" mode which seems to have the best combination of visibility and battery life. The battery lasts a long time - over several weeks of use I have yet to note a reduction in performance due to the battery weakening so I've been charging it up about once a month, or whenever I feel it's been a long time since the last charge.

It probably isn't as bright as some of the super-industrial strength lights mentioned above, but it is certainly bright enough for my daytime use, and I like the fact that it's teeny and light (i.e. not heavy).

(pic is from the Cygolite web site)

http://www.cygolite.com/images/hotshot/3.jpg

Anarchist
08-19-2014, 08:34 PM
I use a Gemini Titan as a rear light. It is the same lens diameter as the MagicShine 808 (?) and you can buy the red lens from Action Led. Set on steady or flashing as you wish, but with a 700 lumen taillight, no one is not going to see you.

I get great space from cars passing me when I have that light on.

zennmotion
08-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Not the brightest but most light for the dollar.
http://goo.gl/btly0x

I have a dinotte, and one of these planet bike things. The Dinotte is super bright but I don't always have it mounted, the Planet Bike is also excellent and small enough to stuff in a seat bag and clips to an unobtrusive ziptie I keep looped through the holes in the back of my helmet for those times when I've forgotten the Dinotte, or the batteries are low, or having two lights, one solid and one blinkie are even better.