PDA

View Full Version : Any other users of My Cycling Log?

dawgie
08-18-2014, 08:26 AM
I've been using an on-line site, www.mycyclinglog.com, to record all of my cycling mileage, bike maintenance, etc. for years. The site has had occasional short-term outages, but appears to have gone kaput with no warning, notices or email notifications. I have been unable to access the site for nearly a week.

Has anyone else here been using this site and know what's going on?

If the site has closed, it will be real shame and great inconvenience to users. I will lose about 10 years of data on my riding and bike maintenance. The site appeared to have hundreds if not thousands of users from around the world. It was a free site, altho the owner/operator occasionally asked for donations.

MattTuck
08-18-2014, 09:03 AM
That is unfortunate, it sounds like a useful site. I use strava to track my rides.

For other stuff, I have notes scribbled on loose pieces of paper in my tool box detailing maintenance and fit with various saddles and positions. Not really a good system.

For all the wonders and convenience of 'the cloud', this may be the best way to keep track of stuff.

http://shop.moleskine.com/FileLibrary/bd9ea5591c99410aacd9588c2a745e69/hobo-cinelli-custom-edition-notebook-fullsize-1.jpg

Hope the site comes back online for you. And if it does, you should quickly extract all of your records, just in case. :)

dawgie
08-18-2014, 09:20 AM
I've got a little notebook like that and plan to start using it for bike maintenance. Sometimes it pays to go old school. Unfortunately I have no way to reconstruct my old maintenance data unless My Cycling Log reopens, which seems more and more unlikely with each passing day.

I guess that I'll have to break down and open a Strava account. I had their App at one time for tracking individual rides but quit because it was a battery/data hog, but I definitely need to find another site for tracking overall mileage.

ptourkin
08-18-2014, 09:31 AM
Strava will also track bike maintenance under the "Bikes" section of "My Profile." Just click on the bike and update the chain, brakes, etc...

oliver1850
08-18-2014, 12:06 PM
I've been mapping my rides from home this year on one composite ridewithgps page. Or rather, it started out to be one page but I had to start a second when the mileage got up near 2,000. You could do this and keep maintenance records in the description box. I'm not sure if there's a size limit on it though. I'm doing the composite mainly so I can see all the roads I've ridden in the area, and which ones I haven't. The only problem is I haven't been able to figure out a way to pick up and start a new ride in a different location, so I keep rides not starting at home separate. Not a big problem for me as there have only been four so far this year.

dawgie
08-18-2014, 12:31 PM
I opened accounts with Strava and Bikejournal.com. I'm having difficulty using aspects of Strava or perhaps those features require premium membership. Bikejournal seems closer to what I had with Mycyclinglog and more user friendly, but I'll test ride both for a while.