PDA

View Full Version : Cross shoe recommendation

RobJ
08-17-2014, 07:37 PM
I'm not talking about stilettos for cross-dressing... I used a set of Spec Pro Mountains (something like that) in the past. Picked up used so really didn't try any on etc. Looking for a new pair for cx this year. Some seem extremely stiff when running/climbing steps. Anybody have some good recommendations? Thanks.

Gummee
08-17-2014, 07:54 PM
I've got 2 pairs of mtn shoes: Shimano M315s and Lake MX331s

The 315s are about a year old. The Lakes 3 rides.

So far, the Lakes are stiffer, fit more snugly, and don't make my left foot go numb.

...but both are VERY stiff shoes. As little as I'm off the bike, stiff is good

M

brando
08-17-2014, 08:00 PM
I was running carbon Sidi Dragon 2's which I have been really happy with. No complaints as Sidi fits my shaped foot.

However, I got a pair of Giro Privateers and though they're heavier, I think they are somewhat more comfy all around and still good performance.

ThaRiddla
08-17-2014, 08:01 PM
I was running carbon Sidi Dragon 2's which I have been really happy with. No complaints as Sidi fits my shaped foot.

However, I got a pair of Giro Privateers and though they're heavier, I think they are somewhat more comfy all around and still good performance.

I'll second the privateers. If you want something lighter, just upgrade the model, but I used these all last year for CX and was really happy with them

alioup
08-17-2014, 08:34 PM
What do you use on your road bike? Do you like them? Find the mountain version of that shoe if possible.

JStonebarger
08-18-2014, 09:24 AM
I like Giro's Carbides. They're one of their lower priced models, so they're not ridiculously stiff, but I actually like that in a 'cross shoe.

bcroslin
08-18-2014, 09:33 AM
What do you use on your road bike? Do you like them? Find the mountain version of that shoe if possible.

This. Don't be so concerned about a shoe that you can run in. You need something comfortable and stiff IMO. I wear Fizik R3's on the road and Shimano XC-60's for CX/ mtb and both feature a large toe-box while being very stiff. Dismounting/ running plays such a small role in CX at the amateur level and I feel like a lot of people focus too much on it. If you're wearing a comfy shoe that doesn't cause hot spots and toe pain you'll be faster on the bike and you can make up any time lost in the barriers.

Charles M
08-18-2014, 10:55 AM
Lakes MX331...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/13o45.jpg

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/13o44.jpg

Great layout, solid materials and modular... And the heel cup is fantastic.

polyhistoric
08-18-2014, 11:06 AM
I've been running the Giro Privateers as well. Giro's tend to fit my foot great. Pretty durable and protective, good flexibility - heavy is the only downside.