PDA

View Full Version : Problem Dog

stephenmarklay
08-17-2014, 11:22 AM
There is a dog along my favorite route this is unsupervised. Sometimes I am able to sprint approaching the home and he does not leave his porch. Sometimes he feels lucky and chases me.

Yesterday he heard me coming and was in the middle of the road as I approached. The dog is a full grown German Shepard and I don't know his intentions. Yesterday I was forced to turn around.

I am thinking about getting some pepper spray (bear spray) to take on my rides. I and to kick a dog in the chomps a month or so ago as it tried to take a chunk out of my leg. Kinda gets old.

Thoughts?

P.S. The home with a german shepard has about 10 abandoned cars and couches on the porch so I am afraid talking to them may fall on deaf ears.

Richard
08-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Dog Warden?

pbarry
08-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Yeah, call animal control. And get some pepper spray, the little canister type.

zmudshark
08-17-2014, 11:30 AM
Forget the dog warden, call the police. Less than a month ago a jogger was killed by dogs in Michigan. The dogs had attacked before.

kramnnim
08-17-2014, 11:31 AM
Does this apply to the dog owner? http://www.spokanecounty.org/scraps/content.aspx?c=2505

Veloo
08-17-2014, 11:39 AM
I remember years ago three of us in a paceline about 40km/hr and a German Shepherd ran across the road and kept pace with us. One guy in our group gave the dog a loud and stern "HEEL!" command and it backed off right away.
I don't recall the house however, being a dump.
My little guy goes after skateboarders but it's all just vocal.

Are there any neighbours around that you could ask? ie whether the dog's bark is worst than it's bite. Or what the household is like.

rwsaunders
08-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Forget the dog warden, call the police. Less than a month ago a jogger was killed by dogs in Michigan. The dogs had attacked before.

Agreed. If the dog doesn't hurt you, it'll most likely hurt somebody else, especially when you have already experienced it chasing you. Imagine that you're another cyclist or a runner who is unfamiliar with the area...what would the dog do then?

Call the police so that the owner can be put on notice. Most insurance companies give an owner a "one and done" notice when a dog has been involved in an incident. For all that you know, this dog has already caused injury to somebody else. Some people can be so arrogant in this regard.

stephenmarklay
08-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Thanks everyone and yes Kramnnim that link does apply. I will call them.

I did call Scraps and they are going to go out today or tomorrow. I could not exactly pinpoint the address on google maps but narrowed it down and there are only two homes on the very rural section of road. Meanwhile I am picking up some pepper spray.

dave thompson
08-17-2014, 12:21 PM
Stephen, Spokane and Spokane County have laws that require dog owners to be in control of their animals. Call SCRAPS if you are in their jurisdiction and report that dog. If other folks have reported it your report may be the final that may require the owners to take specific actions to keep the dog secure.

I've had success with SCRAPS in getting aggressive dogs contained. They even took one owner to court for me.

54ny77
08-17-2014, 12:30 PM
Try carrying a Dazer ultrasonic clicker device--it's small, about the size of a garage door opener, easily fits in a jersey pocket.

Works very well along with forceful and loud audible command, like "Stop!" or "No!"

(Responding to audible plus the Dazer assumes the dog has some semblance of training.)

I've used it many times with success (on a neighbors' dog that sadly goes bonkers, often terrifying neighborhood children and other residents from within their yard or the house with half-opened windows). Terrible, irresponsible pet owners--they themselves should be impounded!

It's a crapshoot, however, as some dogs don't respond (at least per the reviews I've read on it.)

bcroslin
08-17-2014, 12:52 PM
A dog off leash took out several cyclists on the morning group ride here in St Pete a week ago. A woman in her late 60's went down hard and spent several days in the hospital. I love dogs but they belong in a fenced yard or on a leash.

If I were you I'd call the cops and raise hell.

malbecman
08-17-2014, 12:57 PM
I, too, have found a very forceful and loud "No!" with a index finger pointed out at the same time right at the dog to be effective. However, obviously no guarantees....it was all i had at the time and I've since used it a couple of more times with equal success. I'm sure the adrenaline pumping helps as well.

Louis
08-17-2014, 01:50 PM
In my experience there's a big difference between simple chasing, and chasing with the dog snapping at your heels. Nearly all of my cyclist-dog interactions have been of the former. The last one happened just yesterday, when two 25-30 lb something or others chased me for a bit. It was a flat section of road and I just out-sprinted them. The second type doesn't happen often enough to be a real problem for me, but I can understand how a large dog of a breed that could be dangerous would be a problem.

Stephen, other than the chasing, how aggressive has the dog been? Not that one can ever really understand what's going on in a dog's head, but if all he does is run next to you it may be harmless.

I would give him a shot of the pepper spray and see if he learns to stay away. If he doesn't, I'd call the authorities.

Mr Cabletwitch
08-17-2014, 02:07 PM
I had my ankle mauled by a pit bull on an MTB ride last summer. I used to give the benefit of the doubt to the dog and usually had nice encounters with dogs going for a run next to me. My rule of thumb now is if its tongue isn't hanging out and tail wagging its getting a cleat right quick.

FlashUNC
08-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Spray from the water bottle square in the face will work wonders. Has had the impact of keeping a dog at bay permanently the next time I head down the same route.

Failing that, I'm not above a frame pump to the head.

And I say this as a dog lover. But if its him or me, it sure as heck won't be me.

parris
08-17-2014, 02:51 PM
If you go the pepper spray route be VERY aware of the direction you spray so you or others don't catch any. Its not a fun experience:eek:

Veloo
08-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Never heard of this so I looked it up. Now I'm all curious and want one for myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGpaKHLIL0A

Try carrying a Dazer ultrasonic clicker device--it's small, about the size of a garage door opener, easily fits in a jersey pocket.

Works very well along with forceful and loud audible command, like "Stop!" or "No!"

(Responding to audible plus the Dazer assumes the dog has some semblance of training.)

I've used it many times with success (on a neighbors' dog that sadly goes bonkers, often terrifying neighborhood children and other residents from within their yard or the house with half-opened windows). Terrible, irresponsible pet owners--they themselves should be impounded!

It's a crapshoot, however, as some dogs don't respond (at least per the reviews I've read on it.)

daker13
08-17-2014, 03:10 PM
This is a good time to mention one of my favorite RBR threads.

A cyclist was chased by a dog one day on his bike ride. He had the bright idea to fill one of his water bottles with ammonia, to spray at the dog the next time it chased him. The next day, on his bike ride, he accidentally drank the ammonia.

Never did spend too much time on RBR...

holliscx
08-17-2014, 03:22 PM
I know someone who knows someone who can ensure the dog never disrupts another one of your rides again

regularguy412
08-17-2014, 03:29 PM
This is a good time to mention one of my favorite RBR threads.

A cyclist was chased by a dog one day on his bike ride. He had the bright idea to fill one of his water bottles with ammonia, to spray at the dog the next time it chased him. The next day, on his bike ride, he accidentally drank the ammonia.

Never did spend too much time on RBR...

^^ This !!!

Only difference I make when I take an Ammonia Bottle with me is that I use an old bottle that still 'works' but one that I would never use for energy drink or water for myself. I also dilute the ammonia down by 50%, so that if I happen to get some on ME, it's not quite so debilitating. Believe me, if you get get a reasonable amount in the dog's mouth, nose or eye, that dog will think twice the next time he comes out.

I have used this method successfully on several dogs on my favorite routes, thru the years.

Mike in AR:beer:

stephenmarklay
08-17-2014, 03:41 PM
I appreciate all the thoughts on this. I was able to get the exact address so they will give them a visit. That dog is out a lot and even if its nice dogs and are like people and just need an excuse to act bad.

I am going to get some pepper spray and carry it for now on. Heck it may even be useful with a bad acting human :bike:

I will follow up on this thread as to the results.

Birddog
08-17-2014, 05:05 PM
If the dog lives in a place like the OP described, when you call the Sheriff tell them they can't miss the place because it looks like a "meth house". They will get more interested in paying a social call on the perps.

malcolm
08-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Don't know if I would recommend it or not, but we had a big dog coming at us that clearly meant business and loud aggressive barking on our part stopped him in his tracks.

A thought on pepper spray. From your description of the dwelling and my own stereotyping I going to guess these folks are pillars of society and may not respond well to you pepper spraying their loved one, the dog. I would hate to hear you were chased down and run over by a rickety pick-up truck. Might be better to give LEO a shot first.

ultraman6970
08-17-2014, 08:54 PM
I know this will be risky but you know what??? Just because I'm a conscient (sp) dog's owner ok? Some guys dont care but I do...

that said... go to the house and talk with the owner, or send him a letter you know. No idea how are your state laws but if you care about the dog, call animal control, have an officer to wait for you in the area you have the attacks so the officer sees it. He/she will start an investigation and should check that one out for you right away, probably is not a bad dog but a moron owner that doesnt deserve to have the animal at all.

No bad animals, the problem are the owners. Maybe that animal needs a better person to take care of him. Do you need a German Sheppard by any chance? :)

stephenmarklay
08-17-2014, 09:17 PM
I know this will be risky but you know what??? Just because I'm a conscient (sp) dog's owner ok? Some guys dont care but I do...

that said... go to the house and talk with the owner, or send him a letter you know. No idea how are your state laws but if you care about the dog, call animal control, have an officer to wait for you in the area you have the attacks so the officer sees it. He/she will start an investigation and should check that one out for you right away, probably is not a bad dog but a moron owner that doesnt deserve to have the animal at all.

No bad animals, the problem are the owners. Maybe that animal needs a better person to take care of him. Do you need a German Sheppard by any chance? :)

I agree, the owner is negligent and the dog is doing what dogs do. The animal control folks are going to stop by and as Dave Thompson informed us above, do carry some authority.

I certainly don't want to hurt the dog but if its him or me I certainly will. As someone pointed out it could be anyone that the dog goes after.

I am riding in the morning so I will see if he is around. If he is we will play the game and if I am lucky I will be allowed to pass :)

I did order some pepper spray since I think it is a pretty good idea anyway.

firerescuefin
08-17-2014, 09:35 PM
I took a class where I got pepper sprayed...it's really bad...it's also really easy to get on your hands and get into your eyes. Not saying to not get it. Just be careful and make sure you keep your hands away from your eyes and wash them ASAP. Additionally, many have pretty decent reach. The dog does not need to be right on top of you for you to use it. Be familiar with the spray before you use it. Spraying yourself would be the worst case scenario.

I agree, the owner is negligent and the dog is doing what dogs do. The animal control folks are going to stop by and as Dave Thompson informed us above, do carry some authority.

I certainly don't want to hurt the dog but if its him or me I certainly will. As someone pointed out it could be anyone that the dog goes after.

I am riding in the morning so I will see if he is around. If he is we will play the game and if I am lucky I will be allowed to pass :)

Louis
08-17-2014, 09:38 PM
As was noted above, be aware beforehand of the wind direction. Maybe you could toss a handful of grass up in the air shortly before you get to the "combat zone."

dave thompson
08-17-2014, 09:53 PM

Most any sporting goods store or gunshop carries pepper spray. Make sure you get the kind that comes out in a stream, not a fog. You can be further away when you use the stream plus easier to aim while pedaling furiously.

cinema
08-17-2014, 09:57 PM
It's happened to me twice. Once I outran and it and the second time I yelled NO, thought quick, and threw some dried mango at it. It stopped to eat it and that was that. But obviously this won't get to the root of your problem if it's on your regular route.

VTCaraco
08-18-2014, 06:19 AM
Back when I lived at home, I had a number of dogs that would help me with interval training ~ if you catch my drift.
I did the frame pump routine for a while until someone from the shop recommended a little squirt gun with ammonia. Easier than pepper spray and definitely does the stream rather than mist thing.
Give it some consideration....

stephenmarklay
08-18-2014, 07:56 AM
Most any sporting goods store or gunshop carries pepper spray. Make sure you get the kind that comes out in a stream, not a fog. You can be further away when you use the stream plus easier to aim while pedaling furiously.

Thanks Dave.

stephenmarklay
08-18-2014, 07:57 AM
Back when I lived at home, I had a number of dogs that would help me with interval training ~ if you catch my drift.
I did the frame pump routine for a while until someone from the shop recommended a little squirt gun with ammonia. Easier than pepper spray and definitely does the stream rather than mist thing.
Give it some consideration....

We have some squirt guns around but they are leaky little things.

moose8
08-18-2014, 08:06 AM
I had a dog tear a running shoe off my foot when biking down a road in rural Maine. I probably could have outrun him but my ten year old nephew certainly couldn't have so I went super slow and told my nephew to pedal hard. I love dogs and am totally comfortable around them but that experience really scared me. Tough thing is it always comes down to stupid owners. And generally if they weren't stupid you wouldn't encounter the situations because a smart dog owner would never let it occur. I think calling animal control and getting pepper spray as insurance is a good decision.

Lewis Moon
08-18-2014, 08:38 AM
Yesterday, for the first time in many years, I got chased by a dog. I did what I normally do; speed up to a pace that I can maintain for a bit and keep the RPM up around 90 to make my feet less of a target. Problem: the dog was on EPO. After about a kilo I was starting to hit the red and the dog was still there. Then I used tactic #2 (AKA: Top Gun). I hit the brakes, and when the dog over shot, I began to chase it. After a couple of hundred yards he peeled off.

The biggest problem with this strategy is that a bigger, more aggressive dog may have just opted to go for the bite.

Remember: Dogs are endurance hunters. You'll be able to out run the couch potatoes, but if you get one that runs a lot, you'll need to do something before your lungs explode. Water from a water bottle will often set them on their heels for long enough to get a good gap. Add to that a big NO and an aggressive swoop, then sprint. Distance is your friend.

I really don't want to have to carry bear spray every time I ride.

pcxmbfj
08-18-2014, 08:53 AM
If you are bitten and the dog has no proof of rabies vaccination you are in for an uncomfortable treatment and large medical bill.

Let the authorities handle it for the good of all.

malcolm
08-18-2014, 09:02 AM
If you are bitten and the dog has no proof of rabies vaccination you are in for an uncomfortable treatment and large medical bill.

Let the authorities handle it for the good of all.

Not to be argumentative, but this isn't the way most places handle dog bite. If the animal is unvaccinated but known it will be quarantined for observation and if it remains asymptomatic you'll be good to go. The only time they routinely do prophylaxis for rabies is if the dog can't be located. At least that's the way I've always seen it done.

Jeff N.
08-18-2014, 09:56 AM
There is a dog along my favorite route this is unsupervised. Sometimes I am able to sprint approaching the home and he does not leave his porch. Sometimes he feels lucky and chases me.

Yesterday he heard me coming and was in the middle of the road as I approached. The dog is a full grown German Shepard and I don't know his intentions. Yesterday I was forced to turn around.

I am thinking about getting some pepper spray (bear spray) to take on my rides. I and to kick a dog in the chomps a month or so ago as it tried to take a chunk out of my leg. Kinda gets old.

Thoughts?

P.S. The home with a german shepard has about 10 abandoned cars and couches on the porch so I am afraid talking to them may fall on deaf ears.
Here's a thought...a bit excessive, perhaps, but...it's a permanent solution nonetheless.:)

PQJ
08-18-2014, 10:05 AM
I'm a little troubled by some of the responses in this thread. It's the owner's fault, not the dog's. Go to the police or animal control and have them deal with the owner. And practice yelling real loud, taking out your water bottle, getting ready to throw it, and doing so if necessary. If you wanna pepper spray or shoot someone, at least have the decency to do it to the owner.

redir
08-18-2014, 10:08 AM
I would save the use of the revolver for the owner but the dog doesn't deserve it :)

That said, in jest, I'd just call the police too. There was a problemed dog on one of my routes and one day I finally waked him nice and hard right on the snout with my frame pump. The pump broke but the dog never ever came out again. They remember things like that. Most of them are in it for the chase so if you just stop they will go away. It's probably best to stop with the bike between you and the dog.

jtakeda
08-18-2014, 10:37 AM
+1 on call police/ animal control.

In the meantime, next time you're at the store buy a slim Jim.

Throw a little piece of it towards the dog and ride away while it's eating it.

eippo1
08-18-2014, 11:23 AM
I'm a little troubled by some of the responses in this thread. It's the owner's fault, not the dog's. Go to the police or animal control and have them deal with the owner. And practice yelling real loud, taking out your water bottle, getting ready to throw it, and doing so if necessary. If you wanna pepper spray or shoot someone, at least have the decency to do it to the owner.

Yup, you're doing the right thing with getting people out to check on the owners. The dog is most likely bored and you're pretty exciting to them. One thing to know is that dogs are highly emotional animals and often get carried away. That's why the things like ammonia and shouting work, it gets them out of the moment.

Our shepherd mix came to us aggresively terrified of other dogs and would completely lose her ···· in trying to get them to stay away. We've been training her for a long time to get over this (will never fully happen) and what works is getting her out of that emotional state. We drop food on the ground and say "find it." Then her mindset is adjusted and she can focus again.

So go with loud sounds, that Dazer thing, ammonia or the pump as a last resort. I'd be really careful with pepper spray because it may not have the desired effect if the dog is in a emotional state. Temporarily blinding an emotional dog is going to make it panic/ frenzy and the results may not be what you want. Remember that fight comes before flight.

Also, if you get pepper spray, do not get bear spray, it will cause permanent damage and there's a good chance the owner would be able to pursue legal action against you (and it's the owner that should be on the side of punishment, not the dog).

stephenmarklay
08-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Well that little sucker was waiting for me again this morning. I came from the other direction and from that side there is a bit of downhill that levels off toward the home. I was able to pedal hard and get in the opposite lane. I was doing about 30 or so when he started his sprint. I had the edge on him today and he did not chase long.

He does not chase cars as a car passed not to far ahead of me. He is out for spandex :eek:

So when I got home I called animal control again. They said yesterday that they would be sending someone out yesterday or today. I wanted them to know that it happened in the event they had gone out.

They had not but now since I called it is a second "incident." They are sending someone out today. They are also coming out tomorrow to my work and I am signing an affidavit in the event the dog is not leashed and they take him to court.

Pepper spray on the way. Not the big bear spray.

As others have said yelling etc can work. I deterred a dog by growling at him and baring my teeth. However, that is the same dog I had to kick on another occasion.